Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Davidson  (Read 14415 times)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: Harley Davidson
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 08:29:08 pm »
basically the same sportster that I have. I actually just said no to R40k for it, wanting R45k.
But this is not me complaining that I will still have it.

Mine has a new engine, previous one changed at 80k km. Some oil starvation issue. I would rate it pretty solid wrt reliability
They are also some of the first ones with rubber engine mountings, so infamous vibrations addressed.
Mine has a proper setup carb, starts first time even if it was sitting for a month. Gets 22kmpl at 140kmph, better than any big adventure bike.

And no one will believe you that you paid only R40k for it.

But yes, breaks and suspension is shit. I guess everything is relative though. I see it as an old muscle car, they are average fast, crap handling and braking, but great raw fun. Same with this bike. Every ride is an event.

apparently this one is fuel injected..what model is yours ?

Carb model  :imaposer:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2020, 08:21:25 am »
basically the same sportster that I have. I actually just said no to R40k for it, wanting R45k.

Mine has a new engine, previous one changed at 80k km. Some oil starvation issue. I would rate it pretty solid wrt reliability
They are also some of the first ones with rubber engine mountings, so infamous vibrations addressed.
Mine has a proper setup carb, starts first time even if it was sitting for a month. Gets 22kmpl at 140kmph, better than any big adventure bike.

But yes, breaks and suspension is shit. I guess everything is relative though. I see it as an old muscle car, they are average fast, crap handling and braking, but great raw fun. Same with this bike. Every ride is an event.

apparently this one is fuel injected..what model is yours ?

Just saw this

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bad-sportster-years.567394/

got rubber engine mounts in 2004 and FI in 2006, mine is a 2005 iirc
But, with engine failure it got a totalled 2013 engine fitted, it was my stepfather's bike which is mechanically very handy, he transferred engine internals and decided to keep the carbs as you can get it to idle slower than with a FI.
so my 1200 custom is very custom.

Interestingly (or obviously) the 2013 engine gearbox was also a lot better, less chunky/notchy or GS-like. Straight cut gears vs whatever the new type is. Had that internals in as well but the speedsensor pickup was screwed, could not really get the bike to show a sensible speed reading, so went back to original gearbox.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2020, 10:05:13 am »
Having owned 5 Harley’s...currently own two, I can tell you now, for a person with motorcycle experience, the sportster will get boring very quickly. It is Harley’s entry level series, and designed as exactly that.  I don’t know what your motorcycle  experience is, but anyone coming from a modern dual sport/ road bike back ground would be better off looking for a dyna or later model softail, early softail’ were terrible rides. I have owned a 2010 dyna since almost new, it was my first Harley, coming from ktm 990 and later bmw GS, can honestly say it will never be sold, fantastic bike to ride. If you are set on the sporty, R 40 k for that bike is reasonable.

Tell me about a 2005 Night Train?   There's one for sale and god it's a good looking bike.   I've heard the Softails dont handle as well as the Dynas though?

Night train is a great looking bike. Handling wise, I don’t like any softail pre 2013. The handling will not be great, but that of course is personal opinion although quit well known. There are guys that ride way older softail, that rave about them. The whole ‘braking’ argument is a load of rubbish, you have to compare apples with apples, you cannot compare a dual sport/ super bike braking characteristics to a Harley, so I’m not going to comment on that. My dyna is a great bike to ride, braking needs to be planned, but if need be and you have the  know how, can be stopped ASAP. My roadglides  braking is better than my ktm990’s, with a pillion and 35kgs of luggage, bearing in mind it almost weighs double. At the end of the day, the argument of Harley’s being bad rides is antiquated, take some of the new 2019/2020 bikes for a spin, and your eyes will be opened, just give them a chance, they are completely different to any dual sport bike.
If you are interested in buying a Harley, I suggest you pick the model you looking at, and watch ‘Matt laidlaws’ review on the model on YouTube, he gives a very accurate view of the entire bike, from aesthetics to handling, and he has huge experience with the brand.

There is merit in the "poor handling" argument against Harleys, but I do agree that you must compare apples to apples.  It is firstly and unashamedly cruisers and tourers, and to compare stopping and handling

to bikes with twice the power is not clever. The Harleys will often also be twice as heavy, and weight is a prerequisite for a good cruiser, or even tourer. You do not want to bob about like the guy on the R1.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Harley Davidson
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2020, 11:08:27 am »

This reminds me of when my wife decided to buy an old custom Sportster because apparently girls, especially tiny girls weighing 45kg, cannot ride motorcycles.

The first time I rode it, with her on the back, we went for a short breakfast run. All calm and cruiser like, enjoying the sound of the engine and a beautiful sunny Sunday morning.

On the way back I decided to see what the old girl will do on a straight and pushed a little. Keep in mind that I had just completed a fun Saturday ride on the GS with linked ABS brakes.

I got up to about 145km/h when the light ahead changed to amber. Still completely relaxed I eased off the throttle and applied a little front brake. Nothing happened and with a little more urgency I added the back brake and more front. At this stage I could not discern if the brakes had any impact over the engine compression and realized we may reach a standstill about 200m beyond the light.

With a busy crossing nearing rapidly, I applied everything in me to both brakes, geared down a few times and with a little more panic than before, asked the motorcycle gods to intervene.

We finally stopped with my heart in my throat and a little tremor reaching my fingertips while my wife, used to me hitting the ABS hard on the GS, was none the wiser.

We had many great Sunday rides on EVA but I learnt quickly that the 883 is not about speed, any uneven surface should be avoided with pillion and slow and steady with an open face helmet makes for a most enjoyable ride.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:09:39 am by Lord Knormoer »

The following users thanked this post: Knucklhead

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 11:22:36 am »
Haha Yeah :biggrin:

I went for a spin with my brother out to the Harties area, and we swapped bikes on the way home for a while. I decided to see what the Harley could do and got it up to 140km/h but it didn't seem to have much more left to give at that point haha.

Also what seemed like a perfectly good road on the KTM on the way out, had turned into one long rumble strip of uneven-ness on the Harley on the way back :laughing4: :laughing4:   What suspension? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2020, 11:58:15 am »
just a note, dont know what you guys rode, the only reason you don't do 180kmph for the full day on a 1200 sportster is because the wind is crap.
The bike gets there quick enough with room to spare. 160 with pillion is also not asking much, while still returning good mileage.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2020, 11:09:08 pm »
just a note, dont know what you guys rode, the only reason you don't do 180kmph for the full day on a 1200 sportster is because the wind is crap.
The bike gets there quick enough with room to spare. 160 with pillion is also not asking much, while still returning good mileage.
Sure, the old 883 had more in her but after that first incident I was much more cautious in town.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 01:43:42 pm »
I just bought a roadster...

So I can look badass at 30 mph and all the ladies will go gaga over me. Bad ass looking hombre on a bad ass scoot is just the business.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Online BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2020, 03:01:13 pm »
This reminds me of when my wife decided to buy an old custom Sportster because apparently girls, especially tiny girls weighing 45kg, cannot ride motorcycles.

The first time I rode it, with her on the back, we went for a short breakfast run. All calm and cruiser like, enjoying the sound of the engine and a beautiful sunny Sunday morning.

On the way back I decided to see what the old girl will do on a straight and pushed a little. Keep in mind that I had just completed a fun Saturday ride on the GS with linked ABS brakes.

I got up to about 145km/h when the light ahead changed to amber. Still completely relaxed I eased off the throttle and applied a little front brake. Nothing happened and with a little more urgency I added the back brake and more front. At this stage I could not discern if the brakes had any impact over the engine compression and realized we may reach a standstill about 200m beyond the light.

With a busy crossing nearing rapidly, I applied everything in me to both brakes, geared down a few times and with a little more panic than before, asked the motorcycle gods to intervene.

We finally stopped with my heart in my throat and a little tremor reaching my fingertips while my wife, used to me hitting the ABS hard on the GS, was none the wiser.

We had many great Sunday rides on EVA but I learnt quickly that the 883 is not about speed, any uneven surface should be avoided with pillion and slow and steady with an open face helmet makes for a most enjoyable ride.

Thanks LK!!!! This was kak funny!!!

I just visualize this whole scenario in sort of slomo....
‘I just get up every morning and go out. And I don’t let the old man in,’ Clint Eastwood

Offline Lem

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2020, 04:39:45 pm »

So I can look badass at 30 mph and all the ladies will go gaga over me. Bad ass looking hombre on a bad ass scoot is just the business.

:imaposer:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Online Clockwork Orange

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2020, 06:09:13 pm »

Enjoy the new bike :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

The following users thanked this post: IceCreamMan

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • What me worry?
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2020, 08:21:58 pm »

Thanks, I pick it up tomorrow in the rain and ride from Reading. Boerie roll at Hot rock with onions and a creme soda. Life could be worse,

The following users thanked this post: billy-joe

Online Clockwork Orange

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2020, 10:06:46 am »

Cant beat the Hot Rock boerrie roll :thumleft:

Thanks, I pick it up tomorrow in the rain and ride from Reading. Boerie roll at Hot rock with onions and a creme soda. Life could be worse,

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2020, 12:27:03 pm »
enjoy! post some pics?

I have a rattle to sort out then I will be advertising mine as well. Wont be as big a bargain as the one in the first comment though.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • What me worry?
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2020, 01:31:00 pm »
Its a lot more compact than one would think being a harley. Wife insists on a sissy bar now.

Its unlike any other bike i have ever ridden, its engaging and enjoyable and i guess thats why we ride bikes. Also unlikely to lose my licence on the harley .

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:32:08 pm by IceCreamMan »

Offline lukestrugnell

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
    • Ecological Logistics
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2020, 01:36:20 pm »
Very lekker congrats man

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

www.ecologicallogistics.co.za
Facebook: @EcologicalLogistics

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2020, 01:37:40 pm »
that looks great. congrats ICM

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2020, 02:01:49 pm »
ICM. what are the cops like with loud pipes in the UK?

Online Clockwork Orange

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2020, 02:46:33 pm »
Awesome, enjoy the new scoot. Let me know when you feel like a little ride out :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: IceCreamMan

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that