Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Metro Cop and spotlights  (Read 1743 times)

Online GRIM

Re: Metro Cop and spotlights
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2020, 08:29:36 pm »
An acquaintance of mine was arrested a while ago, they never searched him before sticking him in the holding cells.
He requested a couple times to see the station commander, and the cops were nice and windgat telling him where to get off.
When his lawyer eventually got to see the station commander and explained that they had put someone with a 9mm, 2 spare mags, and a knife in their holding cells he was released rather rapidly and all the paperwork vanished into thin air  ::) :imaposer:
Alcohol is essentially natures Leatt Brace with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2020, 09:08:00 pm »
Something that I don't understand here. Am I only allowed to switch on my spots when I riding with the Hi beam??

I remember the law definitely specified that in the past, but these days I am not sure.  The BMW OEM spots can be switched on while on dim as well.

Op my 2015 GSA het ek permanent (dag of nag) met my low beam en my spots aangery. Nog NOOIT was ek gestop gewees deur metro police of provincial traffic police wat op die highways sit nie.

My 2cent wort... daai ligte help sodat al die cagers jou kan sien op die pad, juis omdat hulle o in hulle gatte vassit.

En as my ligte jou dalk n bietjie pla in die dag, sit maar n sonbril op :pot: :pot:
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
KTM 1290 Sup Adv R
Current: WR 450F & R1250GSA

Offline RyC

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2020, 09:21:53 pm »
Something that I don't understand here. Am I only allowed to switch on my spots when I riding with the Hi beam??

I remember the law definitely specified that in the past, but these days I am not sure.  The BMW OEM spots can be switched on while on dim as well.

Op my 2015 GSA het ek permanent (dag of nag) met my low beam en my spots aangery. Nog NOOIT was ek gestop gewees deur metro police of provincial traffic police wat op die highways sit nie.

My 2cent wort... daai ligte help sodat al die cagers jou kan sien op die pad, juis omdat hulle o in hulle gatte vassit.

En as my ligte jou dalk n bietjie pla in die dag, sit maar n sonbril op :pot: :pot:
Same idea I had. First month of Jhb to Centurion had lots of guys not seeing me. NC beam is not bright enough.

Much better with the spots.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline hedleyj

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2020, 09:35:49 pm »
It appears that there is some conflict between the road traffic act. requirements and what has been homologated. There is some reference work to be done on this topic.
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2020, 06:22:06 am »

Same idea I had. First month of Jhb to Centurion had lots of guys not seeing me. NC beam is not bright enough.

Much better with the spots.

The only time I was pulled over was when they are doing routine check at a road block for vehicle license an drivers license. Even then there is nothing said or no complaints.
Even when riding to the Buff there is normally a big number of traffic officials present in town, no problems. 

So i think that twatwaffle must go and fly a kite. Hes pissed off because he can not ride a bike, can not spell motorcycle and can not afford one
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2020, 07:40:50 am »
I kept calm and did not antagonise him further. I will not resist arrest if he pulls me over.

I will however make sure that the case is settled in court, not by the side of the road or in a van.

First thought I had when he spoke to me like that was the lack of witnesses. A helmet cam might have assisted or antagonise him knowing that I have a recording.....

Passed two sets of Metro cops this morning with spots on. They did not pull me over but rather continued their good work of pulling over taxis and overloaded bakkies.

Just keep in mind, that Metro Cops pulling you over, or not and even once pulled over fine you for whatever, or they don't is not a measure of what the law says.  Cops do not make the laws.  They only enforce them to a good, or bad extend.  I often liken them to the bank teller.  No use arguing interest rates or bank charges with them.  Metro Cops are the same.  The unfortunate thing is you can pass the same dude 50 times and he doesn't care about  your lights and then one  morning, he is in a crap mood and bam!  He nabs you. 

Personally, this doesn't concern me much.  If we think the number of bikes with spots of some sort, passing the number of cops every day, we must be looking at a very large number of possible pullovers and fines.  Yet, we seldomly hear about it happening and even if it does, it should be a smallish fine easily beaten in court.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:47:39 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2020, 07:44:13 am »
It appears that there is some conflict between the road traffic act. requirements and what has been homologated. There is some reference work to be done on this topic.

The confusion begins because we read the NRTA without access to the SABS Standard for Road Worthiness.  It think it is SANS 240 or something like that ( iam guessing the number).  It contains all the exceptions to the rules, or at least explain them better and it takes the homologation standards into consideration.  That is only available at a cost, so very few private people like us have a copy.   
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Antonie

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2020, 08:22:55 am »
Doreen road
Had 3 big accidents on the road last 10 days or so. Guess they now want to show their mettle

Ah yes, those were ugly.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2020, 08:39:15 am »
Traffic Cops get issued with sunglasses and an attitude, no discretion, they are suppose to follow the letter of the law. Whether they do or not is a separate discussion.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Online jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2020, 08:57:06 am »
Yah well, at least I'm not gonna get prosecuted because my spotlights don't conform to the regulations, because I don't have any and won't be fitting any. Though I'm a bit surprised that they haven't got around to also making them compulsory.  :xxbah:

In fact I resent very much the fact that I'm compelled to show any lights at all in broad daylight. I was opposed to it from the beginning, and I'm still opposed to it now. I conform, partly because I suppose I have to, and partly because the lights are wired to the ignition and I'm too damn lazy to re-wire them independently.

And so I ride legally with just my single dim beam or maybe not quite so legally, the lens being cracked and repaired with super glue and bicarb. ::)

Old fashioned, hardegat and probably stupid, but I ain't gonna change!  :bootyshake:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2020, 09:06:21 am »
Beg him to arrest you! See him in court and sue him in his personal capacity!

Unless you have absolute proof in terms of video I wonder how you planning on winning a case against a cop in his personal capacity on hearsay..

Sounds like a big cost and inconvenience to me... I would rather smile and wave.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2020, 09:11:27 am »
Beg him to arrest you! See him in court and sue him in his personal capacity!

Unless you have absolute proof in terms of video I wonder how you planning on winning a case against a cop in his personal capacity on hearsay..

Sounds like a big cost and inconvenience to me... I would rather smile and wave.

Agreed.  Do not start a fight you cannot win.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2020, 10:35:07 am »

My 2cent wort... daai ligte help sodat JY al die cagers jou kan sien VERBLIND op die pad, juis omdat hulle o in hulle gatte vassit.  SODAT HULLE NIE KAN SIEN NIE

En as my ligte jou dalk n bietjie pla in die dag, sit maar n sonbril op :pot: :pot: KAK attitude... ek se maar net
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2020, 10:56:43 am »

My 2cent wort... daai ligte help sodat JY al die cagers jou kan sien VERBLIND op die pad, juis omdat hulle o in hulle gatte vassit.  SODAT HULLE NIE KAN SIEN NIE

En as my ligte jou dalk n bietjie pla in die dag, sit maar n sonbril op :pot: :pot: KAK attitude... ek se maar net

Ek dink jy moet bietjie van jou High Horse afklim met jou KAK attitude... Ek se ook maar net!!!  Wanneer hulle jou van jou bike afry is die 1st ding wat hulle vir jou se is "oh sorry!! I didn't see you!!"   So op die einde van die dag is dit vir MY veiligheid. 
KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2020, 11:20:21 am »
Ek dink jy moet bietjie van jou High Horse afklim met jou KAK attitude... Ek se ook maar net!!!  Wanneer hulle jou van jou bike afry is die 1st ding wat hulle vir jou se is "oh sorry!! I didn't see you!!"   So op die einde van die dag is dit vir MY veiligheid.

Ek vat jou nie aan nie.  Jy het niks ges wat 99% van ons in elk geval s nie, maar  die probleem l juis omdat ons ry met MY veiligheid, eerder as ONS veiligheid in gedagte.

#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2020, 11:34:14 am »

As mense nie rondom hulle kyk nie kan jy maar die son agter hulle laat opkom, hulle gaan jou nie sien nie.

Ride like you're invisible.... don't blind others.

Anyway, hijack off, back to the spietkop
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2020, 11:48:02 am »
"Ride like you're invisible.... don't blind others."

This is the one!

The following users thanked this post: TheBear

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2020, 12:06:46 pm »

As mense nie rondom hulle kyk nie kan jy maar die son agter hulle laat opkom, hulle gaan jou nie sien nie.

Ride like you're invisible.... don't blind others.

Anyway, hijack off, back to the spietkop

:thumleft: :thumleft:
KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2020, 02:23:19 pm »

Have you heard of target fixation?  Your ultrabright spots draws a motorists eye, and for exactly your spots he'll ride you moertoe.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2020, 02:23:31 pm »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!