Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Input needed DRZ400  (Read 459 times)

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
Re: Input needed DRZ400
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 03:05:25 pm »
Weird mods on that one, rear light etc. Anyway great bikes, what reliability problems mine had almost 100 000km on it when I last saw it. Just check the oil often, dry sump baffles brains.
I think that tail light was an aftermarket kit to make the E model road legal. Mine had it on before I restored it back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
first things to go will be that ugly rear light and the stuff on the spokes followed by proper tires, hand guards and all the other must do mods like the casing protectors, I will need to find a long range tank
2003 KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW, 2008 KTM 690, 2006 BMW G650Xchallenge, Current bike 2007 KTM 640 adv

Current:  2006 KTM 640 Adv, 1979 Suzuki SB200

Offline Ri

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2020, 06:02:14 pm »
Waterpump impeller is one of the known issues aint it?

Not to my knowledge, I got 3 of them, one for the past 14 years no water pump issues, only done shimming still runs fine, check the stator and clutch casings for damage from the levers, normally from falling over and cracks the casings, 1st farkel to add.

And people mock me because of my DRs ::)

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 06:18:06 pm »
Ri, julle is mos so lief om te farkle.....di DRz is n DR op steroids!! :imaposer:
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Ri

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 06:06:06 am »
Ri, julle is mos so lief om te farkle.....di DRz is n DR op steroids!! :imaposer:

Is omdat die goed so cheap is om mee te begin, baie geld oor vir farkles :laughing4:

Vandat ek Werner Williman se DRZ400 gesien het wil ek ook een hÍ, maar my finansies is bietjie fu op hierdie stadium.

Custom Wilbur shock vir sy gewig, custom seat, etc etc.... HIERDIE is nou 'n gefarklede beaut :drif: :drif: :drif:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:11:10 am by Ri »

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2020, 06:15:46 am »
Liewe hemel!!!! Daai 1ste foto gee n GS ryer n run v sy money!!! :imaposer:

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 06:29:56 am »
Yah (since the hijack is on), his farkles look kak (except for the tank) - all that rally shite detracts from the essence of a DRZ ( or DR for that matter), but I like his enamel cup...

Offline Ri

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 06:54:23 am »
This is not a hijack, this is inspiration :imaposer:

True, I wouldn't go for most of this stuff, but a custom seat and a bigger tank are must haves. I think Werner also changed his sprocket sizes. He did to his DRZ400 what guys are now doing to KTM500s to turn it from an enduro into a light weight tourer bike. Except it's a DRZ so you don't need a 500-page thread to document all the changes you'll need to make  :deal: :pot:

Offline Grunder

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 07:16:07 am »

Except it's a DRZ so you don't need a 500-page thread to document all the changes you'll need to make  :deal: :pot:

Oh Snap!!

Haha

NC700 F800GS

Offline trevo

• Bike: Matchless (all models)
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 08:10:18 am »

Except it's a DRZ so you don't need a 500-page thread to document all the changes you'll need to make  :deal: :pot:

Oh Snap!!

Haha

Picked this one up last year for 26K, 12000km, aftermarket suspension, long range tank etc, ditch the Dakar wannebe fairing and fit the standard head light for my type of riding. Completed numerous local events, 2 NDBA`s and 1 LDBA (all black routes) on my way to Lesotho next weekend with Losper, money well spend
DILLIGAF

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 08:14:09 am »
They are competent bikes, pronto. Lived in the shade of the ktm450/525 for a long time, also linked to the fact that people think bigger is better.

Offline Heddles

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 05:06:22 am »
Iíve had one for almost ten years. It was nine years old when I bought it already. 2001e.
The previous owner brought the bike in from Vermont. He didnít do it properly so it had a papers issue. It had apparently done very long rides over there and the owner had tried to maintain it himself with limited knowledge by his own admission. He said he had done the Baja routes a few times with it. It did show in its condition.
First issue I had was a noise in the engine. I somehow thought it was crank related so I stripped it down..  Everything was at the new side of the spectrum according to the Suzuki Workshop manual. I fitted a new set of main bearings purely out of added precaution. When I got it running again, the noise was still there.
I rode it for a while and the noise didnít get worse. Eventually, I discovered (after talking to a few people in the know) that the clutch basket was rattling. I was ripped a new one by a clown who sold me a used one that was admittedly better than the one in the motor and the noise was quieter but still there. It reached the same level  of audibility as the old one, so knowing that it was the clutch basket, I just carried on riding it. I eventually changed the chassis with one with papers to sort out the registration issue. I found an Acerbis 16 liter tank for it, it had a ProMoto Billet luggage rack when I bought it and whole bunch of Baja lights and stuff. The headlamp had a stone thrown at it and the glass broke so I fitted another lamp and with that came LED indicators, an Enduro style tail lamp, then LED headlamp bulb. I rode it for a while till I started the collection. Now itís pretty much a spare bike. Reliable as the day is long. I try not to let people ride it who are going to hang on the throttle cables for long periods of time. Keep the oil level right, oil change every year and its a great little bike. A few okes have offered me stupidly low offers for it so it can stay in my garage.  Itís probably going to get a front suspension upgrade soon and I want to tidy up the wiring. I left the Baja harness on it and itís a bit of a bunched up mess. So I will rewire it and remove the harness.

In short, they are really nice little bikes. If I was looking now, for an only bike, Iíd probably go for the 650 mainly because they are a bit more forgiving but if youíre in no hurry and youíre riding for the enjoyment and not riding a race, they are remarkably reliable.

I found a set of plastics for it with a full FMF system a few years ago. I still have a bunch of spares for it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:15:02 am by Heddles »