Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Twin CRF1000: fuel starvation  (Read 657 times)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
Africa Twin CRF1000: fuel starvation
« on: March 05, 2020, 08:55:29 pm »
This morning on the way to work my bike started behaving like it has fuel starvation. Idle is just slightly off and up/down, and in gear at constant throttle it seems to be surging. Performance is not 100% but it gets to 120 fairly easily, probably not as fast as before. This morning the symptoms cleared on the way to work, but as soon as I started it at work it was back, and stayed all the way home. On the overrun it crackles and pops more than usual as well.

Has anyone had issues with the pump or filter, or something else I can look at?

I filled up yesterday morning before leaving for work, and had no issues to work or back, which is 50km together. Tank was almost empty, probably 2l left. Filled up at the same place I always fill up.

Any ideas?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline DavidMorrisXp

Re: Africa Twin CRF1000: fuel starvation
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 08:34:35 am »
Dirty fuel?
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline buzzlightyear

• Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 01:18:29 pm »
Eliminated tank breather, so it's possibly filter blocked due to dirty fuel or water in fuel.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline buzzlightyear

• Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 09:56:05 am »
Dirty fuel?

They've drained and checked the fuel, fuel pump and filter, all good.

Offline buzzlightyear

• Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 08:19:19 pm »
A final update on the issue (few weeks after I got the bike back). We went into lockdown, Honda Tygerberg moved, my bike was moved to Honda Cape Town. etc.

The problem was finally diagnosed as a faulty spark plug lead where it goes into the bit that goes on top of the spark plug. Honda replaced it and the bike runs as before! Very happy to have my bike back.

So if you bike suddenly starts running just a little bit sluggish, this is one of the things to check. It was on the top spark plugs so the tank has to be removed.

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok, Ventana

Offline Ventana

• De Colores!!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 03:03:47 pm »
Thank you very much for posting this - I had exactly the same issue yesterday - I did a 550km round trip.  My 2019 ATAS performed absolutely flawlessly until about 30k's from home when I started experiencing exactly the same issues you describe above.  I thought it couldn't be dirty fuel as I filled at a busy petrol station so my thoughts went to a potential problem with the traction control - the moment I went above 2500rpm the bike just seemed to cut the power (feeling like fuel starvation).

Thanks for the heads-up on the spark plug leads  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: - I'm convinced its the same issue - will book it in tomorrow morning and report back on what they find.......

(My intention is to keep this bike for a LONG time....I was not happy last night....)
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

Offline Ventana

• De Colores!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 08:35:56 am »
A quick question....there are over 1000 posts on the Africa Twin Forum regarding fuel tank internal rust issues and flaking paint on the inside of the tank.  Scrolling through the conversation it seems as if most (maybe all) the trouble is with a shipment sent to the US.  I don't see many other countries contributing to the conversation having experienced fuel starvation due to defective tanks - specifically on the 2017/8 ATAS.  I'm personally not aware of this problem being experienced here in RSA - or am I wrong?

https://www.africatwinforum.com/threads/2018-2020-africa-twin-adventure-sports-atas-fueling-tank-issues-merged.35737/page-51#post-338874

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 02:23:50 pm »
Did you check the fuel pump regulator? Im assuming the twin has one, i had a similar problem with my transalp and that was the cause.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: Ventana

Offline meteldog

• Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 11:00:32 am »
Perhaps clean your start/kill switch with some contact cleaner. I have had some problems with engine idling and running until I cleaned it
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

Offline Ventana

• De Colores!!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 05:16:07 pm »
Perhaps clean your start/kill switch with some contact cleaner. I have had some problems with engine idling and running until I cleaned it

Unfortunately the problem has turned out to be gunk in the tank....a seemingly regular issue with the 2018 and 2019 ATAS models.  Its being repaired under warranty......

More info.....over 1000 posts on this issue...

https://www.africatwinforum.com/threads/2018-2020-africa-twin-adventure-sports-atas-fueling-tank-issues-merged.35737/page-1
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 07:32:05 pm by Ventana »