Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How do YOU repair a puncture on the trail?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline GeenSand

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: How do YOU repair a puncture on the trail?
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 07:07:10 pm »
In my opinion ditch the air bombs or take plenty. they work well to inflate the tire min 2x wheel. If the tube get pinched when putting it back the air is gone. Get a tiny compressor or hand pump. Hd tubes are costly way the keep air inside the wheel valves get ripped off at low pressure/deflated tire.. Use decent tires with a hard compound. Carry a spare tube and patches. The patching solution you buy a new tube for the trip at a cycle shop they are flimsy and leak after some days in a topbox. 

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Take nothing but photos
Leave nothing but tracks
Kill nothing but time

Offline GRUNT

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Grunt
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2020, 07:34:52 pm »
That pic of Subie's is bullshit ........................ no way you get a puncture in the shade.

Should be banned for that ..........................  :deal:

This!!!.. :laughing4:
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2020, 08:50:26 am »
BMW specifically designed the sidestand on the GS310 to break off so you can use it as a beadbreaker BEFORE removing any of the wheels. :biggrin:

Online dirt rat

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2020, 09:11:43 am »
BMW specifically designed the sidestand on the GS310 to break off so you can use it as a beadbreaker BEFORE removing any of the wheels. :biggrin:
Feeling better I see.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2020, 09:12:45 am »
Ja nee Oom DannyBoy, as jy n BMW kan dish is jy definitely beter......
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 09:28:50 am »
My 2c worth..coming from both Enduro and Adv Bike exp.
(I HATE giving up on a bike repair, will try anything to get a bike going again. I have replaced ripped out valve in tube and got bike back)

1. Find shade if u can not always possible but you keep your shit together when your arse isn't baking in the heat.
2. Long curved tyre levers,,,short ones add to the pissed off state. They can be cable tied somewhere on your bike.
3. The tube fishing thing is good. I use a home made one with an old valve inner, and some very thin wire fed through same. Saves a lot of headache.
4. Like the bedroom...lube lube lube
5. Regularly check your glue, it dries out and leaves u poked.
6. decent sized patches are important....MT bike shit is for kids bikes.
7. a small roll of emery paper to abrade is handy, that crappy silver thing you get is enough to make u buy a BMW
8. spare tube is best, but sometimes, u need to make a plan and repair
9. Co2 bombs..if u don't have a compressor or space for one, then try and find the larger (thin its 42g) bombs. the small cycling ones I think are 16g...big adv bike wheels eat those by the half dozen.
10. I try and keep some solvent for cleaning the patch area...to be sure to be sure
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2020, 11:27:07 am »
I like that crutch idea but don't fully understand the process and how stable is it? Where on the bike do you lock it in position so that it does not slide out or damage the bike?

Its very stable if done properly.      Process I have used is:
1. Put the bike on the side stand
2.  Get a friend ready with the rock, axle stand, crutch etc to put under the bottom of the engine, back shock linkage, somewhere strong and stable.  Think they put the crutch under the right hand side footpeg sometimes.   
2.  Walk around to the right hand side of the bike and push the right handlebar away from you with your right hand.  The front wheel will move left, keep pushing on the handlebar and the bike will rise up on the side stand away from you.  When the  back tyre is nicely off the ground, place axle stand, crutch etc in a stable position under the motor/ back shock/etc,  and the back wheel will remain off the ground when you bring the bike down onto the crutch.   Warning -   If you have a BMW the side stand might bend but for most bikes this is not a problem (Only a joke guys, just for you 2SD to help him feel better)
I used this method all the time, by myself with my suzuki 650, in the garage just to lube the chain.   Just put an axle stand near the shock mount, when the back tyre was off the ground use your foot to push the axle stand under the shock mount and gently let the bike down again.   It's amazing how the bike is balanced on the side stand like this.  Doesn't take much effort to do.

The crutch thing can also be used, with a centre stand, to keep the front wheel off the ground.   With the bike on the centre stand, push down on the back of the bike, when the front wheel is off the ground, place the crutch under the belly pan, somewhere strong,  to keep the front wheel off the ground.

How come I never knew of this Suzuki 650 before? :eek7:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2020, 12:30:52 pm »
I like that crutch idea but don't fully understand the process and how stable is it? Where on the bike do you lock it in position so that it does not slide out or damage the bike?

Its very stable if done properly.      Process I have used is:
1. Put the bike on the side stand
2.  Get a friend ready with the rock, axle stand, crutch etc to put under the bottom of the engine, back shock linkage, somewhere strong and stable.  Think they put the crutch under the right hand side footpeg sometimes.   
2.  Walk around to the right hand side of the bike and push the right handlebar away from you with your right hand.  The front wheel will move left, keep pushing on the handlebar and the bike will rise up on the side stand away from you.  When the  back tyre is nicely off the ground, place axle stand, crutch etc in a stable position under the motor/ back shock/etc,  and the back wheel will remain off the ground when you bring the bike down onto the crutch.   Warning -   If you have a BMW the side stand might bend but for most bikes this is not a problem (Only a joke guys, just for you 2SD to help him feel better)
I used this method all the time, by myself with my suzuki 650, in the garage just to lube the chain.   Just put an axle stand near the shock mount, when the back tyre was off the ground use your foot to push the axle stand under the shock mount and gently let the bike down again.   It's amazing how the bike is balanced on the side stand like this.  Doesn't take much effort to do.

The crutch thing can also be used, with a centre stand, to keep the front wheel off the ground.   With the bike on the centre stand, push down on the back of the bike, when the front wheel is off the ground, place the crutch under the belly pan, somewhere strong,  to keep the front wheel off the ground.

LOl  I had a Vstrom for years Ri, but she only did tar, tried a few gravel roads but very front heavy, with small front tyre so she liked to submarine in sand and slip on rocks.   Really good for covering big distances for work around the Western Cape.  Faster than one thinks.       Great motor, but real tupperware bike, the cheap plastics, bicycle handlebars, and 1980's Toyota finishes  just irritate.  And Suzuki Service sucked. That was the bike I clipped a Polo on and had my foot in a boot for many months.  The Polo came off second best to the bike however.   Those Vstroms are strong, reliable, fast, but sooooooooooooooooooo  boooooooooooooooooring.  Much prefer the Truimph. 

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2020, 12:36:45 pm »

LOl  I had a Vstrom for years Ri, but she only did tar, tried a few gravel roads but very front heavy, with small front tyre so she liked to submarine in sand and slip on rocks.   Really good for covering big distances for work around the Western Cape.  Faster than one thinks.       Great motor, but real tupperware bike, the cheap plastics, bicycle handlebars, and 1980's Toyota finishes  just irritate.  And Suzuki Service sucked. That was the bike I clipped a Polo on and had my foot in a boot for many months.  The Polo came off second best to the bike however.   Those Vstroms are strong, reliable, fast, but sooooooooooooooooooo  boooooooooooooooooring.  Much prefer the Truimph.

Ah yeeees I forgot about that one. They are legends on the cheap :laughing4:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2020, 12:55:10 pm »
Nah Boet, my V-Strom took me everywhere. Rocks, mud, gravel, but I could do witj a 50kg reduction

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 01:03:09 pm »
Nah Boet, my V-Strom took me everywhere. Rocks, mud, gravel, but I could do witj a 50kg reduction

Ja boet,  :)suppose with different tyres I might have done more, remember trying to turn her around in some soft sand at the end of a "road" .. a cumbersome beast out of her natural environment to be sure

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 01:04:49 pm »
Ha ha, any big bike will be cumbersome in those circumstances

Offline King Louis

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2020, 10:35:47 am »
When I joined WDs, I had the impression these are the tough guys, going everywhere where HD and co can't.

Scratches on rims? Sies...... :pot: :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: subie

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2020, 02:16:04 pm »
I am probably the only person who runs UHD tubes in my bikes and runs close to road pressure off road as well.... have yet to have a puncture in last 15 years of riding... last puncture was on the 650 when I was showing off and hit a lurker rock at speed buckling the front rim and pinching the tube... gunk fixed it (yes it does work) and I still rode the bike for two weeks after to work and back before I got round to changing the tube...

On one of my earlier bikes I counted 26 patches on a single tube when I eventually discarded it (pooratech days)  :o, so had my fair share of puncture fix etc.... a job I always hated and still do  ;)

When I had to repair though gunk was always my first option as I am lazy as shit to change a tube (usually this works at least to next stop/overnight place). Then just normal routine of first trying to bribe your buddy to do it, but if all else fails remove wheel, break bead and replace tube under less stressful circumstances when you have more time and less of an audience  :lol8: (I never patch anymore as the new silicone based tubes do not take patch well anyway)..

Tyres are key, FEEL the tread and carcass of the tyre between thumb and forefinger before you fit, some are so soft they just beg to get punctures.... ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:18:16 pm by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Frikadel

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2020, 08:18:44 am »
If the Tyre Fix "skuim" is not working I will phone OUTsurance to tow the bike to the nearest bike shop for a fix.
Beer, bushveld and a braai!!

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2020, 08:31:32 am »
If the Tyre Fix "skuim" is not working I will phone OUTsurance to tow the bike to the nearest bike shop for a fix.

I will be impressed if they come tow you from say Bray  - Terra firma  area in the Kalahari  :thumleft: :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2020, 09:18:00 am »
My GSA was easy - they run tubeless, so a snot-plug and a compressor
The X-Challenge is more of a challenge....
HD tubes - I have had nothing but k@k with them - I dont use them anymore.... I carry a pair of normal tubes in the case on the front mudguard, levers are bolted to the subframe, also carry about 8 CO2 bombs and a pump, a puncture kit with at least 12 patches, sand-paper and 2 tubes of glue, and a valve-puller made from a stuk of thin wire and an old valve core,but thus far I have not had to use any of it - in spite of accidently running the front at 1Bar for a whole day when the valve leaked, and I got a HUGE smiley that day as well....
Been lucky actually...

HOWEVER @Roadcat and I once spent a whole day in Tanzania fixing punctures on the rear wheel of an XT500 - 23 punctures I believe? And we never found the reason..... We would fix one, inflate, install, ride a few km, get a puncture, remove, fix etc., ride a few km and so on - the good news was that we never fixed 2 punctures in the same spot (either on the road or on the tube), the downside was that we were in a game reserve, with elephant, buffalo & lion.....  :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2020, 09:21:08 am »
I know what the problem was!!!!!!

@73 Peanut just did the rear of his 650GS, conversation to tubeless. So far so good.

We'll keep you in the loop.

@ClimbingTurtle
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:21:41 am by LouisXander »

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2020, 04:10:22 pm »
I am probably the only person who runs UHD tubes in my bikes and runs close to road pressure off road as well.... have yet to have a puncture in last 15 years of riding...

Count me in. I never deflate, except on beaches, dunes and long continuous stretches of really thick sand (10km and more).

Prevention is better than cure.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline mark250gp

« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 03:22:06 pm »
So I did it, not on the trail or anything stupid like that. Rather in the comfort of the garage with a plethora of tools a nice chair, company, assistance (from the wife) and beer. Let me tell you now if you have never done this before it is quite fkn unpleasant. This is a job for a shop with a tyre machine! I am however glad I done it and know that it can be done so that if I ever have to do it on the road it is less of a worry.

This is the tyre that needs to come off.

First step is always to give the bike a good clean, it wasn't dirty or anything but we're under lock down and I'm bored.

Then proceeded to bend the MF'ing tyre stand trying to break the bead. I had the missus standing on one side of the tyre while I was trying with all my might to break the bead. NADA. Niks. Hy wil nie. Went and had a beer and re-thought the strategy.

It's rarely brawn that wins these type of fights, this I have learned trying to fit mousses to Enduro bikes and to Rallye bikes with Rallye Mousses which were all made in the pits of hell, after remembering this I went back and sprayed a bit of lube and beat the bead off the tyre with a 4lb hammer.

That fight was won, now we're getting somewhere.

Someone posted a link to a valve pulling tool which obviosly I didn't have so I made one. WHAT A LIFESAVER! It's now in the bikes toolkit. Whoever posted that I owe you a beer. Thank you.

It was mostly plain sailing after the old tyre came off. When I say plain sailing the neighbors have reported me to childline, the domestic abuse number and the SPCA.

New Tyre on, looking good.

Thanks for all the advice I hope I never ever have to do that ever again, anywhere.

Now for another thread on tubeless conversions..............