Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kaoko - A journey, not destination!  (Read 22472 times)

Offline Hydr8

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • The Power of Gas...
Kaoko - A journey, not destination!
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2006, 07:44:04 pm »
Feel bad having done the ride with Zonkie and Forty to Namibia and only reading the report now and registering on the site. It was indeed a trip of a lifetime and could not have done it with better traveling companions. Off road riding is all about fitness and confidence especially in the tricky bits. my advice to anyone attempting this kind of trip (5424 k's in 12 days) is that you make being fit a part of your preparation and that you test your equipment before you go. Forty and I discovered that a top heavy 300kg GS can be a hand full and bloody hard to pick up. This was attested by two tiny Italian tourist who were at hand to pick me after a trip south in heavy powder sand. You should have seen the respect in their faces after I roared off on a bike they both together could not pick up without my assitance. As with the trip name, this was a journey and not a destination and I would suggest either more days or less k's. We roared past so many beautiful places without taking them in chasing far away destinations to stay over. Also every book you read says don't travel in the heat of the day. This is the time to siesta. It's a trip I will do again. If you are lost and need to find yourself, the chances are you are in Namibia. Go there and see for yourself.
KTM 1190 R Adventure
KTM 300/KDX 200
Triumph Speed Triple 1050/MV Agusta 1000 F4R 
Honda CBR600RR Track Bike
Life is a journey not a destination, enjoy the ride.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2006, 07:40:00 am »
welcome! good advice, tx!

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2006, 10:09:06 am »
Welcome Hydr8. What I can remember when thinking back on this trip was not the scenery, heat, dust or Oom Willie se pad, but the company and how they made it one of the most outstanding trips I ever been on. I thought that personalities will change (as had happened to me many times before) souring the trip. You never are ready when this happens. But lo and behold, I spend 12 days with the most amazing brothers I know. I was embarrassed at one stage for although me and my boet are very close, we would never have made it. You two are wonderful and it is a pity that I only got to know people like you so late in life. Respect to you and embossed memories.

Legend!
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Hydr8

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • The Power of Gas...
Thanks
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2006, 05:11:16 pm »
Thanks Wino for the welcome and Zonkie for the very kind words given to old Forty and myself. A critical part of the trip is to choose the right partners as when it gets tough the last thing you want to have is personality issues. A lot of tension can be avoided by carefully planning and agreeing to the route and also agreeing up front on the contingencies if ever required. I have to agree with Zonkie in that the people who went made the trip as enjoyable as it is. People become characters when you know them and you can trust a character you know. Next year will be even better!
KTM 1190 R Adventure
KTM 300/KDX 200
Triumph Speed Triple 1050/MV Agusta 1000 F4R 
Honda CBR600RR Track Bike
Life is a journey not a destination, enjoy the ride.

Offline QuicksilverE

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • Inyonini
Re: Kaoko - A journey, not destination!
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2009, 04:34:27 pm »
The kaokoveld must be one of the most beautiful places in the world. I love it there. I would love to do a ride like this one.
"It's a god-eat-god world." ~Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2009, 10:32:19 am »
QuicksilverE, having just last week relooked at some of the maps we used to plan this trip, looking at all the photos we took, Zonkelnut, Hydr8 and my own, I tend to see other places on the trip which we did not stop and take photos of.

I am off to Malawi end of the month to live there for 3 years (Contract) and when I return, I will definitely be returning to Namibia for another go at this trip, this time I will take twice as long and take in the sites more. The saying, "Slower is better" springs to mind.

Hope you do get to go.
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2009, 11:07:50 am »
Awesome! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Vosperd

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »
Thanks for the report. We know the area quite well and have travelled with 4x4's so respect as i know this is not an easy ride, even by car.

Also planning on doing something similar early next year  :ricky:
Back on the horse!

Online ALLEN I

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »
excellent photos could of shared some when u guys had a fall. but well done. that place is always a lekker place to ride.
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2014, 09:09:54 pm »
Great pics! Wonder what it looks like today?
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline Offshore

« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »
 :thumleft: :sip: