To scooter or not to scooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Hi

I guess this is probably the wrong place to ask if buying any bike is a good idea, but here goes.

I am currently using the Gautrain while my car in at the panel beater. I never thought it would take so long to complete a simple job, but unfortunately I cant speed up the panel beaters and just have to wait for them to finish their job and hope it is right.

Anyway, I am slightly gatvol of taking the train. I cant be as work as early as I want because of the schedules that the train and busses follow. Also this morning there was a massive delay taking even more time and then I still had to wait forever for the bus to arrive.

Anyway, rant over. I see one can get a fairly good looking Big Boy 150cc scooter secondhand for around R10k. Yes, I cant take a scooter on the highway from Centurion to Edenvale, but I can take the scooter on a road parallel to the R21 through Irene where speeds should be lower

A few years ago I had a colleague who did the same route (but on old Johannesburg) everyday on his Big Boy Revival 150. He serviced it regularly and had minimal issues. So I have always used him as an example when saying it can be done.

So. Would you do it? No, I am not able to spend more and get a bigger bike.

Next question. Would I be able to get third party, fire and theft insurance on it even before I get learners? And what can I expect to pay for this for a little China scooter?