Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Luggage plate  (Read 298 times)

Offline jeandrep

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Luggage plate
« on: March 15, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »
Hi Guys

I am busy making a plate to transfer my previous topbox from my 800 to the 1200.

My question is: Am I correct in assuming the plate attaches to the bike on the below 4 points?

Thanks.

Offline Mayhem

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Do it in the dirt
Re: Luggage plate
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 09:56:19 pm »
The BMW top box mounts to that bracket (the black plastic bit is different for the top box mount). So "NO" the plate does not mount to those 4 bolts.

Sent from my NEO-L29 using Tapatalk

BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:04:48 am »
As stated by @Mayhem, no.  You need this part.  Part # 77 44 8 523 743  This part has the 2 extra wings (Bottom left and right of the pic below) that accommodate your topbox bracket.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:06:15 am by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 07:27:31 am »
Unless you do what I did by removing the plastic handrail unit completely and use a 6mm flat plate with spacers to mount to those 4 bolt holes. I have a motoradical box with a gs800 bracket. The reason I did this is to lower the box.

Offline Bravofox

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 07:34:54 pm »
As stated by @Mayhem, no.  You need this part.  Part # 77 44 8 523 743  This part has the 2 extra wings (Bottom left and right of the pic below) that accommodate your topbox bracket.

I suspect that this part won't help him, as he is not fitting a standard 1200 Box to his bike. If he was mounting the 1200 vario box, then he would need this. Am I correct?

Offline jeandrep

Luggage plate
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:42:11 pm »
Thanks everyone.

I am not mounting a Bmw topbox. I have an X-strong box but the plate that was on the 800 does not fit the 1200. For example where does the motoradical plate bolt onto the frame?

Below is what I have so far. I think my question is whether this is the same way motoradical for example mounts their plate?

What worries me is that the tail where the late mounts onto is plastic. Not to comfortable with that idea.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:24:57 pm by jeandrep »

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 07:09:06 am »
If you're not mounting a BMW topbox, then your original question is actually irrelevant.  Mount it any way you want.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

The following users thanked this post: eberhard

Offline Bravofox

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 07:17:51 am »
If you're not mounting a BMW topbox, then your original question is actually irrelevant.  Mount it any way you want.
His question is actually NOT irrelevant. He is basically doing and "Aftermarket" Top Box installation and, like myself, he may be wondering if the aftermarket manufacturers are using those same bolt inserts to mount them.
I feel they may not be strong enough, but if they use them, then why not?
I cannot really determine from pictures on the web if they actually use them or not...

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 07:56:54 am »
Like manxkipper and Jughead said. I wont start mounting things on top of other things. Especially where it is plastic. Remove all, rethink and start over. The higher, the badder, the more connections, the badder, the more plates, the badder, the more spacers, the badder, the more plastic, the badder. Less is more.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline jeandrep

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 08:25:57 am »
His question is actually NOT irrelevant. He is basically doing and "Aftermarket" Top Box installation and, like myself, he may be wondering if the aftermarket manufacturers are using those same bolt inserts to mount them.
I feel they may not be strong enough, but if they use them, then why not?
I cannot really determine from pictures on the web if they actually use them or not...
The fact that it is plastic is my concern as well. I am also struggling to find pics on the web of examples. But looking at for example the motoradical plate, it also seems to mount on those 4 holes.
Is there maybe someone with a motoradical box that can upload a picture of the way it is mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 08:50:43 am »
My plate is from an 800gs. Only reason is that I used it on the 1190R I had when there were no motoradical plates for the 1190. One could use any plate with the setup I have.

Two considerations

1. The plate needs to be spaced up in order to clear the plastic under section
2. The plate must also be cut out to clear the pillion seat when installing the seat. I only use the seat in the forward position. If you use the seat in the rear position then the front plate  cutout will have to be bigger. 6mm steel plate with spacers underneath on my unit. I expect that if you want the box further back you might use slightly thicker plate to reduce flex. I didn't use alloy as I was concerned it may crack.

You will also see the many tig repairs to the plate due to stress cracks in the stainless plate. Stainless doesn't like vibration.

Offline jeandrep

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 08:58:11 am »
Thanks. Very nice setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 04:21:30 pm »
I actually bought a 1200lc motorradical plate as I thought it would be easier than adapting the gs800 plate but in retrospect the one I made is way better than the new 1200 plate I bought. Sometimes one just needs to use ones kop.