Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 390 in South Africa  (Read 6154 times)

Offline BuRP

Re: KTM 390 in South Africa
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2020, 06:50:23 pm »
Are Bajaj's imported in SA?

Let me answer my own question here...

https://africabajaj.com/

Yes, they are, and the Dominar 400 is too!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2020, 06:56:55 pm »
I had a work colleague who had a Bajaj 220i, somewhere around 2011. He travelled to Durban every second weekend on that Bajaj, when I met him it was on 89000km already
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2020, 07:46:10 pm »
The Bajaj bikes are not bad, for an Indian bike, but be careful, as Indian clients are far less demanding than us.

They are far more "Africanised' when it comes to breakdowns, poor quality, etc.

One must just be careful nowadays for corporate dishonesty.

BMW tried it with an Indian bike, now KTM seems to be trying it too.

Not the same, but Mercedes met up against more discerning buyers, and had to scrap their blatantly dishonest bakkie.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2020, 10:25:45 am »
Just received the report from Denmark: "I did the first installation of the BoosterPlug on the new KTM 390 Adventure. Worked just as good as on the 390 Duke."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:34:09 am by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline deapsquatter

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2020, 04:57:17 pm »
First report of a bent rim https://youtu.be/H3O4l0D3Sj4?t=866

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2020, 05:00:30 pm »

Dark hole of Calcutta, is where your money will go.......

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2020, 06:19:38 pm »
Cast rims will never match decent spoked ones.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline ultraflight

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Always keen to ride.
    • Xplorer
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2020, 11:58:44 pm »
I upgraded from a KLR685 to the 390 Adv at the beginning of June. Just under 3000km completed already.
Yes, it really is an upgrade.
More power, much better acceleration, far more agile, phenomenal stopping power, and it feels like it can sit at 140kph all day with ease. Smaller 14.5 liter tank but better fuel range than the KLRís 23 liter tank. I seem to be averaging around 32 km/l of fairly aggressive riding.
Tubeless tyres. I took it up Hell Se Pas near Vanrhynspas, hitting those huge ledges at speed without any fear of touching the cast rim to stone. The high profile front tyre probably helps there (100/90-19), as does the light mass and the superb front suspension (fully adjustable compression and rebound dampening).
Offroad switchable and cornering sensitive on both traction control as well as ABS.
Bluetooth to phone and to intercom for music, calls, navigation, with all the appropriate info displayed on the very bright TFT screen, and 4-way control switch on the left handlebar, no need to ever take your hand off the handlebar to answer calls, change music, set volume, etc.
12V socket on the dash, plus 2 pairs of spare 12V female spade terminals under the instrument panel for accessories, one pair keyed to the ignition switch, the other always live direct from the battery (Both fused), and the same again under the pillion seat for accessories. I fitted a USB socket to the always live connector under the seat, where there is a neat cavity to store and charge my intercom or phone at a stopover, safely locked away.
Fully adjustable front suspension (compression and rebound damping), with the rear offering pre-load and rebound adjustments.

However, we must come back to the ride...
That is what its all about, not so?

Well, I cannot fault the ride. Well sprung, comfortable, stable, amazingly agile.
Difficult to believe this is a single cylinder. And difficult to believe it is a 400cc class engine.
It is smooth with impressive response from the ride-by-wire throttle.
The power-to-weight ratio is right up there.
This engine loves to rev up eagerly with enough performance to not need gearing down to overtake on the freeway.
I still get surprised when I glance down and often see the speedo reading 140+

If I had to look for negatives, I could name only two:
Stock tyres are road-biased TKC70. I found them surprisingly good on loose gravel, rocky terrain and dirt roads, but when you hit the deep, soft sand, that rear tyre just does not have the push needed to keep the speed up, it spins away, gradually losing speed then ends up digging itself in, even at 1.2 BAR pressure. The front tends to weave a lot more than I expected in the sand, but that is still manageable. The more offroad orientated TKC80 would probably be a much more suitable choice. I hear that the KTM steering geometry favours a TKC80 front in soft sand, so I intend to fit one in front very soon. For the rear, I might got for the superb Anlas Capra X.
The second negative, and this not a biggie, is the less than expected low-end torque. The over-square, short-stroke piston, needs to be kept above 4000 RPM, otherwise the engine feels a bit reluctant. It took a while to adjust, coming from the KLR thumper with its massive low-end grunt, but now I am thoroughly enjoying how playful and eager this engine is once you get it purring in the higher RPM band.
All in all, I am one very happy customer.

The following users thanked this post: Edgar

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2020, 03:18:41 am »
A well written objective report.  :thumleft:

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2020, 08:23:52 am »
I upgraded from a KLR685 to the 390 Adv at the beginning of June. Just under 3000km completed already.
Yes, it really is an upgrade.
More power, much better acceleration, far more agile, phenomenal stopping power, and it feels like it can sit at 140kph all day with ease. Smaller 14.5 liter tank but better fuel range than the KLRís 23 liter tank. I seem to be averaging around 32 km/l of fairly aggressive riding.
Tubeless tyres. I took it up Hell Se Pas near Vanrhynspas, hitting those huge ledges at speed without any fear of touching the cast rim to stone. The high profile front tyre probably helps there (100/90-19), as does the light mass and the superb front suspension (fully adjustable compression and rebound dampening).
Offroad switchable and cornering sensitive on both traction control as well as ABS.
Bluetooth to phone and to intercom for music, calls, navigation, with all the appropriate info displayed on the very bright TFT screen, and 4-way control switch on the left handlebar, no need to ever take your hand off the handlebar to answer calls, change music, set volume, etc.
12V socket on the dash, plus 2 pairs of spare 12V female spade terminals under the instrument panel for accessories, one pair keyed to the ignition switch, the other always live direct from the battery (Both fused), and the same again under the pillion seat for accessories. I fitted a USB socket to the always live connector under the seat, where there is a neat cavity to store and charge my intercom or phone at a stopover, safely locked away.
Fully adjustable front suspension (compression and rebound damping), with the rear offering pre-load and rebound adjustments.

However, we must come back to the ride...
That is what its all about, not so?

Well, I cannot fault the ride. Well sprung, comfortable, stable, amazingly agile.
Difficult to believe this is a single cylinder. And difficult to believe it is a 400cc class engine.
It is smooth with impressive response from the ride-by-wire throttle.
The power-to-weight ratio is right up there.
This engine loves to rev up eagerly with enough performance to not need gearing down to overtake on the freeway.
I still get surprised when I glance down and often see the speedo reading 140+

If I had to look for negatives, I could name only two:
Stock tyres are road-biased TKC70. I found them surprisingly good on loose gravel, rocky terrain and dirt roads, but when you hit the deep, soft sand, that rear tyre just does not have the push needed to keep the speed up, it spins away, gradually losing speed then ends up digging itself in, even at 1.2 BAR pressure. The front tends to weave a lot more than I expected in the sand, but that is still manageable. The more offroad orientated TKC80 would probably be a much more suitable choice. I hear that the KTM steering geometry favours a TKC80 front in soft sand, so I intend to fit one in front very soon. For the rear, I might got for the superb Anlas Capra X.
The second negative, and this not a biggie, is the less than expected low-end torque. The over-square, short-stroke piston, needs to be kept above 4000 RPM, otherwise the engine feels a bit reluctant. It took a while to adjust, coming from the KLR thumper with its massive low-end grunt, but now I am thoroughly enjoying how playful and eager this engine is once you get it purring in the higher RPM band.
All in all, I am one very happy customer.

I agree, it is a nice bike. The only negative for me was the hard seat.  :thumleft:

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2020, 08:30:56 am »
And the 19" front,
And the alloy wheels.
And the shorter travel than a 310GS wheel travel......

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2020, 08:55:35 am »
And the 19" front,
And the alloy wheels.
And the shorter travel than a 310GS wheel travel......

The KTM 390 Adventure is a way better bike than the 310GS full stop.

As far as the wheel size, alloy wheels and suspension travel is concerned, it's not meant to be a hard core offroad bike. If you want that, buy the Honda CRF Rally or a MX Plastic bike.  :deal:

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2020, 09:01:04 am »
You see Edgar, thats the point I want to make.

When the 310 came out, those were all the complaints against it, it was slaughtered for those reasons, but with ktm its fine, its not meant to be an off roader bla bla blaah :peepwall:

Double standards I'd say old chap.

And please take note, I'm not saying it was you saying that, that was the general concensus between sayers. :imaposer:

Cue: enter the ktm captain....

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2020, 09:08:09 am »
On that I agree with you. Being a DS Forum I can understand guys here tearing these bike apart, but one should be realistic as well. It is what it is.  :thumleft:

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2020, 09:10:33 am »
But, being an 1150GSA owner, I'm anxiously awaiting that 490....

May just be my last bike ever bought
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:11:17 am by LouisXander »

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2020, 09:18:26 am »
We know the 390 is meant to be entry level but how hard could it have been to just increase the wheel size with spokes and give it suspension we know KTM puts on almost any bike of theirs. It would have made a good bike even better. Unless there will be a 390 Rally on the horizon but I doubt it with the 490 lurking. I understand it will also be built in India hopefully this time it will be kitted properly.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline RiaanH

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2020, 09:22:20 am »
I just bought one for my wife and agree with ultraflight on everything. Its an entry level bike that punches way above entry level
Kawasaki AR 50(80)
KTM 950S / KTM 1190R / KTM 390 Adventure
HONDA XR600R
KTM 525 EXC

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2020, 09:23:29 am »
But, being an 1150GSA owner, I'm anxiously awaiting that 490....

May just be my last bike ever bought
Ek sien uit na :

T7 (surprise surprise)
Aprilia Toureg (if it ever gets to SA)
KTM 490
Honda Africa Twin 700 / 750
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2020, 09:23:39 am »
True Sidetrack, they could've used parts from the EXC or Freerides, no extra design costs etc

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2020, 09:26:33 am »
You see Edgar, thats the point I want to make.

When the 310 came out, those were all the complaints against it, it was slaughtered for those reasons, but with ktm its fine, its not meant to be an off roader bla bla blaah :peepwall:

Double standards I'd say old chap.

And please take note, I'm not saying it was you saying that, that was the general concensus between sayers. :imaposer:

Cue: enter the ktm captain....

Yep, the redneck trolls came out and had a field day.  ::)