Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: HOLIDAY ACCOMODATION DURING THE COVID TIMES  (Read 543 times)

Offline DR BIG 750

HOLIDAY ACCOMODATION DURING THE COVID TIMES
« on: March 19, 2020, 10:09:02 am »
The retro roof 2020 also fell foul of the sporting cancellations caused by the virus spread. I have read and heard from various sources that with all the cancellations people are requesting refunds or credits for future dates when normality returns. I also see that most establishments are obliging accordingly. We booked our accomodation for the retro at TRADING POST LODGE ROMA in Lesotho(along with a good few other participants), so we approached them re this issue. either asking for a refund or a credit for a future stay when the event is rescheduled. This is the response(Dear guest Due to the outbreak of the corona virus and the the irratic(spelling as per reply)decisions which are made by governments, we have to accept the exzaggeration of some decisions. We get request for reimbursement of deposit payments and we are confronted with last minute cancellation due to fear or panic. we have a cancellation policywhich is clear on the cancellation of bookings and its financial consequenses. We respect the choices of individuals and organizations and assume that they understand we as a company, which is responsible for  their welfare of our employees, will not take the economic responsibilityoutside of the company policy. Kind regards TRADING POST ROMA.
I paid the 100% upfront and asked for a credit for the future date , if any increase are incurred in the future I will make good. This response is piss poor and not great for future visits of the establishment, normality will return, and along with all other affected guest are going out of our way to forward this message and will never return to to Trading Post Roma, a lot of off road riders frequent this area, and are aware of the their attititude, This is my opinion and not good future business.
what say ye all.....
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: HOLIDAY ACCOMODATION DURING THE COVID TIMES
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:37:20 am »
Piss Poor....
They clearly dont know/care about Social Media - they wont get my money now either, in the future....

Some places are more accommodating....
We have accommodation booked at Forever Loskop for a few weeks time (Loskop Wild Challenge 1/2 Marathon)- they have offered a 75% refund or a 100% on the date transfer before the end of the year, which I thought was reasonably acceptable - losing 25% is not ideal, but its in their booking form, so I cannot really argue.... Anyway, we decided to go anyway, in spite of the race being cancelled...... And I will take the bike.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:52:33 am »
Very crappy response! >:(
Pity no more owned by Ashley Thorne!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 01:11:54 pm »
he los of the payment , is a bitter pill to swallow , but put yourself in there shoes. They need income to pay staff , overheads and more . refunding due to a unforeseen circumstance could be just as difficult for them in this instance, THey mite not have the funds to do a refund , credit for a later booking could be a answer , but as bookings go , they could not be in a position to accommodate you on a later date as the place have booking already.
 I booked and payed for this coming weekend in Clarence , way past the refund date , so going . Most could argue to stay at home . The money is out of my account and I could decide to not go, loose the paymetn and just move on. but I am going , need a ride .

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 01:18:11 pm »
I would also go - time on the bike is the important bit here - but once there, you may have issues getting fed at the Brewery etc., pretty sure you can make a plan though....

ITO a facility not having money for a refund, pretty sure that puts them in the realms of bankruptcy.........  :o

Travel safe & take pics!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 01:23:21 pm »
I am also still going next week. It is time with my family and we will be driving to the South Coast. I weighed the risk, and I think there is no more than staying up here in GP I believe. We are driving with our own vehicle, we are staying in a seperate dwelling and in a small town away from the tourist spots.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 01:37:40 pm »
he los of the payment , is a bitter pill to swallow , but put yourself in there shoes. They need income to pay staff , overheads and more . refunding due to a unforeseen circumstance could be just as difficult for them in this instance, THey mite not have the funds to do a refund , credit for a later booking could be a answer , but as bookings go , they could not be in a position to accommodate you on a later date as the place have booking already.
 I booked and payed for this coming weekend in Clarence , way past the refund date , so going . Most could argue to stay at home . The money is out of my account and I could decide to not go, loose the paymetn and just move on. but I am going , need a ride .

+1

someone has to pay for this nonsense

someone is going to loose money

if they need x rooms per night per month occupancy to cover expenses - refunding could push them under

we have the exact same issue now - we were set to leave for thailand in 3 weeks time

luckily all the air lines are giving free flight change so moving our entire trip to april 2021

but the hotels were all paid for non-refundable - i'll try to see if i can organize moving to next year and paying in any differences otherwise i'll try to claim that from travel insurance

in the end someone is going to loose money
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:41:26 pm by the_BOBNOB »

Offline Mr D

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 02:18:56 pm »
Interesting that people are still charging non-refundable cancellations in times when guests are legally prohibited from entering a particular country. We would love to charge and keep the ship sailing without any hiccups but one cannot blame the guest for what is going on.

Most of the online travel agents incl. Booking.com have declared Force Majeure/Forced Circumstances stating "We expect you to refund any prepayment and waive any cancellation costs (fees, expenses and/or other amounts) in situations where the guests/travellers requested cancellations as a result of the Forced Circumstances (FC). Booking.com will waive the commission in these cases."
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. T. E. Lawrence

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 04:09:13 pm »
apparanly 2 trading post, 1 in rambabata, 1 in roma I dont think this one is the thorn one, so trying not to confuse the issues. As far as still going, the event is cancelled so i have no option, and keeping the bills paid, we have never been so not been to use anything, we all in the same boat during these dire times and not offering some form of exchange, percentage, refund is piss poor, some principal involved here..

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 05:50:37 pm »
Im due for a bike trip to any place.

So, if anyone booked somewhere, cant go anymore, and got kak with refund, let me know, I will take it over  :biggrin:

No tent and camping, I dont chit in the bush  :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:53 pm »
Im due for a bike trip to any place.

So, if anyone booked somewhere, cant go anymore, and got kak with refund, let me know, I will take it over  :biggrin:

No tent and camping, I dont chit in the bush  :imaposer:

The bush thanks you.

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 05:25:11 am »
if u get on the gas you can have mine you need to get there last night :laughing4:

Offline mike gs

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 05:46:08 am »
I've just made a booking at Sani Top for end April. No problems and they refused a deposit as a result of Corona uncertainty. "Pay when you pitch" they said.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Love life!

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 06:27:56 am »
We need to retain logic and fairness in such times.
We didn't ask for COVID-19.
The resort didn't ask for COVID-19

Governments (ours and theirs) have to respond to their respective situations - not ours.
Travel restrictions were imposed in response to a vis major.

A cancellation of a booking does not incur a loss of 100% of the income.
There is a profit margin built in and consumables built into the cost that will NOT be utilsed.

There are two options I think are fair to both parties under the situation:
1 - Defer the booking to a later date when specific performance is possible.
2 - Return 50% of the deposit and both parties carry smaller losses.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 11:26:24 am »
I've just made a booking at Sani Top for end April. No problems and they refused a deposit as a result of Corona uncertainty. "Pay when you pitch" they said.

You know, they are a bunch of super people there at Sani Top ! ! ! ! !  :thumleft:
Spread the news, they simply deserve it, let's get them busier than they already are sometimes!
One can pitch a tent there, you knew?
Obviously only when you have to but you can, just go there!
Love the place, plove the people, the food (drool...) and the general comraderie  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020