Fan failure/upgrade for bmw 650's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superkazy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Good day dogs,

Want to put this info here for you guys if you had a fan failure for the radiator.

For the f650's gs and g650's gs this works.

The fan I got was R1500 from hot4cold (comparative to the original from bmw would put you back 4-5k) and the fan itself was the SPAL VA39-A101-45A 12v which is the upgraded version that gives 360 CFM. If you ride the f650 you will need a new fan shroud that costs R340 (bmw P/N 17 42 8 528 785).. This is a direct bolt in and all you would modify is the plug to use your existing plug on the bike( use plug off old broken fan motor and solder onto new plug). This way is well worth it as the fan cools so well that I can leave the bike idling and it will switch on-> cool -> switch off while in idle without any driving airflow. I also added a manual fan switch as well just in case for desert rides and all you need to do is have a switch to bridge the 2 wires of the thermistor coming out of the right hand side of the engine and you have a working manual switch while still keeping the auto function as well.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    60 KB · Views: 75