Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Leaping Lena.  (Read 1378 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Leaping Lena.
« on: March 25, 2020, 09:18:15 pm »
Called by "Motorcyclist" the most notorious and successful racer of the 70's, Yamaha's TZ750 was built for the Formula 750 class, and won 9 consecutive Daytona 200's.

Starting with a 700cc, two 350 twins joined to form a 700cc in-line 4 cylinder 2stroke, it was enormously powerful for the time.

It soon grew to a full 750cc, and the picture shows the "OW31" model.

The original was nicknamed "leaping Lena" for it's difficulty in keeping the front wheel on the ground.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:19:26 pm by 2StrokeDan »

Offline dirtyXT

Re: Leaping Lena.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:25:14 pm »
 :thumleft: man alive. sorry I missed this.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:56:32 pm »
All of that with fokol electronics probably.
Thats when racers smoked Gunston plain, carbo loading was done with beer. The only brace was around the cracks in your frame, and not around your neck.
The world was built for real men at one time. :thumleft:
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:13:55 pm »
Thats when racers smoked Gunston plain, carbo loading was done with beer. The only brace was around the cracks in your frame, and not around your neck.

Indeed. When your GP 2stroke 750 4cylinder had a 125cc's rear tyre fitted. O0

Offline tulips

• Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:40:28 pm »
"The original was nicknamed "leaping Lena" for it's difficulty in keeping the front wheel on the ground."
Adventure bike for sure ! Every time without fail   :biggrin:

Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 10:45:39 pm »
"The original was nicknamed "leaping Lena" for it's difficulty in keeping the front wheel on the ground."
Adventure bike for sure ! Every time without fail   :biggrin:

They had to strap this thing down on the dyno.........

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 05:29:18 am »
:imaposer: talking about strapping, check how the exhaust is strapped to the under carriage....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:30:01 am by LouisXander »
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:01:58 am »
And that backstop on the seat - to stop you from sliding off when you roll your right wrist!
Thanks for this blast from the past 2SD, it makes one wonder about today's aneamic adv behemoths.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 07:36:29 am »
Johan Boshoff, died on one of these OW31's on Kyalami in 1977.  That thing was vicious, but a sight to behold in full cry on a race track.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:40:17 am »

Indeed. When your GP 2stroke 750 4cylinder had a 125cc's rear tyre fitted. O0

Janee Danie.  At a recent visit to the bike museum at Deneysville, two things jumped into my mind.

1.  F&ck&ng bikes I rode was parked inside the museum on display!  Kommerwekkend!
2.  Tyres.  Size and shape.  How the hell did we stay on those bikes back then?  Sheer luck?  Genade van bo?  It certainly wasn't the tyres! 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:04:10 am »
Johan Boshoff, died on one of these OW31's on Kyalami in 1977.  That thing was vicious, but a sight to behold in full cry on a race track.

I never missed a race with him on that big TZ. As well as Dirk do Plooy on his "pork chop" TZ750.

It is an oft-repeated cliche, but you could not have lived if you have not heard a TZ750 at full cry on a overcast Cape raceday. My God.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 10:40:22 am »
Their biggest attraction was that they were commercially sold to the racing fraternity. If you had the money, you could buy one "off the floor" so to speak. And they were affordable, relatively speaking.

That allowed a lot of people to get into serious racing. On numbers alone, it is probably the most successful dedicated racing bike ever built

I've heard of one that was made street legal by it's owner, and actually ridden on the street.
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 10:57:25 am »
When Formula 750 grew into a full open 750cc World Championship series, no less a rider than Kenny Roberts cast doubts upon the safety of racing at speeds of over 200MPH, with a throttle which I think he was the first to describe as an on/off switch.

Apart from the narrow tyres mentioned, they were also still treaded, slicks had yet to make an appearance, and they used to race these things in the wet.  :eek7:

Kenny was all in favour at the time of introducing a maximum 350cc capacity limit.

Meanwhile, being a skilled engineer Kenny was experimenting with fitting heavier crankshafts into his bikes to make the power delivery more controllable.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 11:01:49 am »

I never missed a race with him on that big TZ. As well as Dirk do Plooy on his "pork chop" TZ750.

It is an oft-repeated cliche, but you could not have lived if you have not heard a TZ750 at full cry on a overcast Cape raceday. My God.

Sadly, I have not lived to hear that as yet - And I do mean that - I would love to hear one.....  :drif:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 11:08:37 am »
Their biggest attraction was that they were commercially sold to the racing fraternity. If you had the money, you could buy one "off the floor" so to speak. And they were affordable, relatively speaking.

That allowed a lot of people to get into serious racing. On numbers alone, it is probably the most successful dedicated racing bike ever built

I've heard of one that was made street legal by it's owner, and actually ridden on the street.

The 1974 Yamaha TZ750 could be bought through your dealer, with a season's spares kit, for around R6000.

There are a lot of people crying that they did not buy and store them.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 11:10:22 am »
Funny enough, people at the time probably thought it would become better as the years go on, now? We cry for those lekker bikes from the unregulated years!!!
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 11:14:41 am »

If we can include "Kyalami Raceday" I will not argue the point.  I doubt I  will ever forget them screaming down the old Kyalami main straight.  It is the cause of why a certain generation of us turn into drooling idiots when we hear a proper 2-smoke, even now in 2020. 

A year or so ago KCR Kempton Park had a beautifully restore Zook GT750 with three expansion boxes at a bike show.  Everytime he started it, old guys ran to their stand like kiddies who heard they are dishing out free ice cream!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:18:03 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:02 am »
Yamaha were not the only ones. The World Championship was highly competitive and the other two stroke manufacturers were on board with vicious machines  having engine power far ahead of chassis technology, notably Suzuki with their water cooled triples, known as "Flexy Flyers."

British rider Paul Smart rode for Suzuki, and without factory authority he commissioned a British frame constructor to make him an unofficial frame. It got him into trouble with his masters.

They bollocked him for his unauthorised action while rejoicing in his race wins!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:35 am »
Funny enough, people at the time probably thought it would become better as the years go on, now? We cry for those lekker bikes from the unregulated years!!!

I do believe that Yamaha would have, especially with the 750, screen buyers to try and make sure the bike actually goes racing.

No point in selling the best racers there is, and most of them parks with collectors.

Anyone could buy a Yamaha TZ125, TZ250, TZ350, TZ500 or TZ750.

Then they say biking today is better???? :pot:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:09 am »

If we can include "Kyalami Raceday" I will not argue the point.  I doubt I  will ever forget them screaming down the old Kyalami main straight.  It is the cause of why a certain generation of us turn into drooling idiots when we here a proper 2-smoke, even now in 2020.

ABsolutely!  There is a video clip of Joey Dunlop accelerating away from the camera at the IOM on a TZ750, and it's instant gooseflesh.

The following users thanked this post: TheBear