Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A crash with a happy ending  (Read 717 times)

Offline fruitandveg

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
A crash with a happy ending
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:49:52 pm »
So there I was Thursday late morning 2nd of October the day before my big 30th birthday party, I was minding my own business riding my bike happy as a pig in sh*t on my way to Morningside Clinic to meet my wife for her final check-up before our new baby was to be born.

I pull off from a set of robots on Grayston drive in Sandton and I‚??m approaching the next set of lights just before Rivonia road when suddenly a Silver Toyota Yaris pulls out of a complex driveway (77 grayston) in a moer of a hurry to try merge with traffic on the other side of the road. I‚??m not sure if "she"(a Japanese woman with no insurance, no SA license, no clue and no glasses which her Japanese license said she should be wearing) even glanced in my direction or just didn‚??t see me but she drove straight into me and knocked me clean off my boney.

I did see her just before the collision but I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, all the brakes in the world couldn‚??t have saved me and believe me I hung onto them for dear life and there was no time to ride around her I was already heading straight for the dividing island to try get out of her way she was just travelling too fast. It must be the most kak feeling in the world when u know you‚??ve tried everything and a crash is inevitable!

I remember shouting fuuuuuuuuu$KKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYOOOOOUUUUUU as my bike and i parted ways and the next thing I knew I was trying to stand up without much luck, I was in big pain but I couldn‚??t pin point where it was coming from. With the help of a lovely lady named Ellen (who witnessed the whole thing) I eventually got to my feet, checked all my bones limped around a bit, nothing felt broken but I was flippin sore.

My boney ended up on the other side of the road and I landed on my left hand side(hip) on the corner of the island separating the 2 sides of the road.

After collecting my thoughts and panniers and flooking the chick who‚??d just f*&^%ed up my day I took out my phone and called my wife who was already at the hospital waiting for me for the check-up and asked her very kindly if she would come pick me up as some stupid chick had just decided she didn‚??t like bikers and knocked me clean off my boney but that I was ok and just need to be checked out. She calmly told me she was on her way (didn‚??t want her to panic or anything as she was 9 months pregnant).

After a couple of x-rays and an examination it turns out the pain i was feeling was caused by a badly bruised hip and a couple of torn muscles and a pretty deep hole caused by the set of keys which were in the pocket I fell on.

A few days later I examined my jacket and found the left shoulder and left elbow were in pretty bad shape but I had absolutely no pain in either so I highly recommend an M2R jacket for anyone who‚??s looking, just don‚??t put keys in the pockets.

At the scene I had to go and switch off my GS which was lying on its side idling as if nothing had happened. I had called the guys at Lyndhurst after I called my wife and apparently the bike had been picked up within 30 minutes of the incident. Thank God for a boxer motors and crash bars or I probably would have had some very serious left leg damage!

The bike was back after a week with a new set of panniers and a couple of other cosmetics including crash bars, indicator, hand guard, lever, and screen. Pity we don‚??t heal as fast as our bikes.

The following day the show went on, I had my big birthday bash painkillers and all and 6 days later we had a beautiful baby girl!!!

I did learn something from all of this, no matter how competent and confident we get on our bikes we can‚??t control other road users out there, no matter how defensively u ride or how alert u are they don‚??t see us and can pull out from nowhere and drive straight into you, we are very very venerable on our bikes. Wear bright colours, keep your headlights on and make sure you are wearing good kit! Take it easy out there boys our JHB roads are full of absolutely useless unlicensed drivers these days. I was back on the bike the day it got back- so if u see a guy on a GS doing 10km/h down Grayston drive in sandton looking out for silver yaris‚??s that‚??ll be me!

Disselboom

Re: A crash with a happy ending
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:54:23 pm »
Sjoe, lucky escape.Congrats on the little one. :thumleft:

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:57:28 pm »
Sorry, congrats and welldone  :thumleft:
There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Offline JO GSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • XT660R Wheeeeeeeee......
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 04:58:58 pm »
just glad you are ok... If you are thinking back to this incedent, what do you think we as bikers should do to avoid situatians like these.
a Great man is known by how he treats people that can't do anything for him.
Curry Blake

It's all good, all of the time.
Johan Smith

Offline fruitandveg

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:09:34 pm »
just glad you are ok... If you are thinking back to this incedent, what do you think we as bikers should do to avoid situatians like these.

Eish that’s a tuff one, but I reckon if I was wearing something brighter she might have seen me and stopped which would have allowed me to swerve around her. Other than that the obvious would be to ride a little slower which gives u more chance to brake but I was literally only doing around 60 so it was just a case of bad timing, if I was going faster she would have missed me and slower I would have missed her.

I guess it was a case of the wrong place at the wrong time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:10:28 pm by fruitandveg »

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:14:31 pm »
Nice to hear that there is a happy ending. Congrats!
Lourens de Lange

Offline Joyride

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • It's only a flesh wound
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:24:42 pm »
The roads are a nightmare out there.

Glad you are okay to welcome the new member of the family
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul

STELLENBERG, CAPE TOWN

Kawasaki KLR600; Yamaha XT250

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:28:03 pm »
Glad to hear you are still here, able to witness the birth of your child and celebrate your 30th.

I've ranted about the excuse "I didn't see you" before so won't ago off again. I hope the women that hit you is not driving on our roads and is sitting behind bars.

Congrats to you both on the birth of the little one.  :thumleft: At least she still has a Father.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 05:28:30 pm »
Glad to hear you are ok, and congrats on your girl!

In Lima the traffic is actually worse than JHB believe it or not. When I go back to SA I find the JHB traffic actually quite soothing. Yep soothing!

What I have learnt here is no matter what, make sure you can see any possible risk. If i cant see a driveway/insterection well, I slow right down. I never ever assume it is safe to pass any intersection, and I always am looking for the escape route  in every situation. if I dont have one, I slow down.

If I do have an escape route and someone comes in from the side or randomly changes lanes in an attempt to crush me, I simply power up into the escape route.

Not sure if that will be of any help.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Karl

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »
Sorry to hear, but glad you are ok, and of course congrats!

Thanks also for the info on the M2R jacket, I aslo have one, so its nice to have that info.

Offline Mr.T

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 07:47:18 pm »
Not acceptable what happened as we have to be so
carefull & the cagers just do it.
I cycle in the morning & the cyclists have a white strobe lite fitted to
the front & this makes them very very visible.
Is this legal & if yes, will it not be a good fit to have for traffic situations?
Stop talking and start riding

Offline keithk

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:50:40 pm »
Congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter as long as mother and child are both healthy why worry about the bike :biggrin: Get well soon :biggrin:
ROUTE DIFFICULTY:1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillion friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillion friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding
5 = expert only (we are not worthy, still to meet one)

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:26:48 pm »
Glad it all turned out ok and congrats with the baby!
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 11:11:15 pm »
Glad u not to badly injured congrats on the baby and treasure her   :3some:
FTS

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 06:12:15 am »
Firstly, congrats on the little one  :thumleft: Hope she brings you guys much happiness,joy and sleepless nights  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Glad you made it out the accident alright, it just sucks.
Unfortunately there is no cure for some people, that just don't know.

You keep your wits about you and ride safe  :ricky:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Plore

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 07:36:08 am »
Baie geluk met die nuwe baba en panniers. Jy kan my baseball bat leen om `n paar duike in die Yaris te maak.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:37:43 am by Plore »

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 09:54:55 am »

Only solution is to mount a canon on the front of bike, so that you can blow a hole to ride through,  :mwink:

Eish glad you OK.

+10000000000000000000 on the baby.

masehare

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 10:02:27 am »
Not acceptable what happened as we have to be so
carefull & the cagers just do it.
I cycle in the morning & the cyclists have a white strobe lite fitted to
the front & this makes them very very visible.
Is this legal & if yes, will it not be a good fit to have for traffic situations?

Fruitandveg, glad you're ok!

Maybe we can try this - wire a strobe up to the main headlight. The cars would make way because normally white flashing lights are attached to black BMW SUVs with tinted windows.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 10:53:48 am »
..BMW SUVs...

That's a name for the GS I've never heard before.
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 08:25:12 pm »
Glad you survived that!
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html