Clanwilliam via Ceres/op die Berg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
The plan was to ride to Loeriesfontein and back BUT as plans go this one
fell short, the reason being..........

I left Tableview at 6.30 am on Saturday, the route was to take me to Malmesbury, Riebeek-Kasteel, Reibeek-Wes,
where the first section of dirt road starts.
Sun rise

After the recent rains the dirt was nice and hard packed, so some easy going. There was plenty water and every thing is lush and green. This section of dirt takes you Gouda.

From Gouda it was on to Tulbach, then up the Michell's pass to Ceres. That pass is always fun to ride. :) Topped up with fuel and then set out for the Gydo Pass, which is even more fun to ride. :lol: :lol:

The air was crystal clear and the views from the top told me that the day will only get better. Had a quick bite to eat and then it was time to get going again.

Next planned stop...Clanwilliam, or so I thought.
Just after the tar ends on the Op die Berg road, I came across two farthers and thier boys who had been camping by this small lake.

First time that I have seen the big Vadero out in the sticks. After a quick chat it was on the way again.
This is where I lost all track of the planned ride.
With all the valleys and passes that I incounted, I found myself turning around to ride them again.

River at Cederberg Lodge. Must plan an overnight there as there are tracks all over the area.

More passes, had to ride this one twice. Nice off camber corners and big"speed bumps" in the rode that you could get both wheels off the ground, If only a little. (balls arn't big enough yet to do big jumps)

Some of the wonderful flowers in the area and an old farm house that will be a stunning camp site.

Now came another choice, Clanwilliam or Wupperthal,
Keurbosfontein. Well I might as well stick with the route
even thou the time table has gone out the window.

Road to Clanwilliam

Up until now the road suface was good, comfortable 80-110 Km/h. Just after you turn onto the Clanwilliam road the ball bearings came out. The road has not been graded for a while so the was stones and orange size rocks aplenty. Now the Fun and consentration were high, very high.

Snack time, nice shadey tree near a little river, perfect.

Not long after I started riding again you came to the next valley, My heart missed a beat as I looked over some seriouse DS heaven. You can see the exit out the valley in the far distance. First up was the ride in, I am now smiling like the cat that found the milk.

Half way down you will a sign that just says WATER. And this is what you find just off the round, it is concelled by lush greenery which you walk into and then this 10Foot waterfall. the water was cold and refreashing.

Once over the other side of the valley is the Algeria camp site, take the right hand fork and it's another 30Km to Clanwilliam.

More to come...