SA 1982 bike registration papers (NZ import)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
Hi All,

What a great resource, I logged on after being pointed here from advrider.com and just lost two hours reading through some of the ride reports :)

I'm a Kiwi, living in NZ, and have a question; this is the post I put up on advrider before being recommended this site:

I recently purchased an old K750 L2 off an elderly safa gent here in NZ. He moved over here 20 years ago, and bought with him his 1982 K750 L2.

He has the NZ customs stamp to prove it was inspected, but after that the bike sat in his garage unused for the last 20 years.

I'm getting the bike on the road (after this virus lock-down is over), and in NZ to get certification and a NZ plate you need:
"the original documents that prove previous registration and provide an ownership trail that goes back to the last registered owner in the country where the vehicle was last registered"

The problem is, the chap does not have any record of his SA ownership, and rightly states there is next to no chance of him getting a duplicate as those records were all paper back then and likely lost, especially as the bike was taken out of the country.

My options seem to be:
a) see if there is a NZ exception process where there are no ownership papers. I think this involves listing the bike with the Police, and after a certain amount of time (year/s) you can claim it.
b) come up with some paper replica of SA original ownership documents
c) ????

Any ideas or insight as to how SA registrations worked back in 1982? I tried the SA govt website, but most of their links didn't work, and it was all round useless.

Thanks!!