2 Weke solo trip, waarheen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Start:
I simply could not believe it, and I asked myself:  Where could I have contracted it?  Where have I been, where did I have contact with an infected person, where-o-where did I get this Corona virus?

As it was very clear that I had Corona, I mean, one of the first obvious signs will be a fever. However, after a few days of severe fever, but no dry cough, it dawned upon me that I have had this fever for a very long time already, years probably. 

The fever of anticipation to ‘One Day’ find the time and opportunity to get on my bike, with bike-camping-gear, and to set off into the distance trying to find the new horizon every day.  Whether with one or 2 good riding buddies, or simply on my own if it comes to it.  And why this long-lasting fever was burning me up from the inside thinking it was Corona, was simply because I happened to stumble upon that ‘One Day’ due to a few variable changes in my life.  And I had a bit of time to answer this call to cool down the fever of anticipation.

And I made up my mind on dates, and started asking a few of you for guidance on routes and places to stay, see the link to this particular topic:  https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=245847.msg4427965#msg4427965

I mentioned that I have about 2 weeks available, and I am yearning for some routes in the deep Northern Cape, Richtersveld, Namaqualand, Tankwa Karoo, Southern Cape towards Baviaans, and once I am in the Eastern Cape, I will decide the best routes back to Pretoria, based on impulse.

As always, I got some good ideas on routes and overnight sleeping spots, thank you to the likes of Losper and other.

And, part of this fever was the itch to go buy myself some bike specific camping gear, pack it onto my steed, and be self-sustainable for as long as I want to. I also wanted to feel a bit like David Livingston or one of those early pioneers, and pitch a small tent and sleep out under the stars.  I have done a good number of fairly remote bike trips, even on a 500 or 690, but always there was a lodge somewhere, and the times I had to sleep in a tent was on organised biking events or on mountain bike races, but I have never done this stoksiel-alleen with my own tent and some gear with the big dog (1190).

So off I went to buy these, intending to use all of this again in the future now that I have taken the leap, and at least it was not too expensive, I think.  And this gear had to be tested before I set off for this trip…

Attachments

• stoeltjie.JPG
    stoeltjie.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 294
  • stretcher.JPG
    stretcher.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 275
  • tent.JPG
    tent.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 272
  • Total route v1.png
    Total route v1.png