Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A trip around Lesotho with a car without wheels, wedding ring and double bed  (Read 800 times)

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
This RR is long overdue, but having plenty of time to catch up on writing (?) my stories, I have no more excuses……  As said before in other RR’s – this is just a normal trip, nothing serious.  I would also like to thank @Losper  for sharing the route with me and told me to change the settings of my GPS to tracks – think I would still be lost in Lesotho if I didn’t change it 😊  😊

Ou Bees had to go to Melbourne Down Under for 4 weeks during August 2017 and she agreed, on condition that she may have a week extra as she wants to visit the kids that lives in Sydney & Brisbane.  They have moved to Aus a year or what before that.

“So gese en so gedaan” and off she went and I decided that it is the ideal time for me to go on a trip around Lesotho and “my brother from another mother” had time on his hands and a date of departure was planned.

Just want to give you some info regarding the heading of the trip.  We got married in 1985 and soon after that, I stopped wearing my wedding ring and I would only wear it when we had a fancy event.  The ring used to be in the cupboard for years and her being away, I thought of wearing it as – ja, it is true – I started to missed her.  Not nice coming home after a day at work and there is nobody to talk to or even nobody to listen to you.  The car without the wheels and the double bed is in the story……just follow 😉

We would leave about the 2nd week after she was gone and although we are used to this sort of lifestyle where I was a lot away when we were younger on work related trips it was now her turn.  Often she would be away for a week or two either to Pretoria or Germany.  We got used to it, but 5 weeks is a very long time……

The Friday night I packed the bike, and because it was raining I parked the car in front of the bike so that no one can see the packed bike.  Ou Bees’ car (which is a company car) was parked outside as space was limited.  I went to bed and the following morning it was still raining and I was getting excited as a dream trip is gonna happen today.

After a good shower, putting on my riding gear, I walked passed the packed bike and car, opened the gate and saw the one rim of the car is on a brick.  “Now what do we have here” I thought.  This can be sorted, but as I came closer the car, I saw that all 4 wheels were stolen and the car is put nicely on bricks!!!!  How kind of them ☹

Now where do I go, I thought by myself.  I am in big trouble….  Phoning Ou Bees (remember there is an 8 / 9 hour time difference), but couldn’t get hold of her and tried to get hold of one of the kids, but no luck at all.  In the meantime Toby, the German guy that is renting the house and works with Ou Bees comes out and he gave me a number at their work which I called and being a Saturday, no luck.  By luck I could get passed the car on bricks and went to the local Police Station to report the matter and to get a Case Number.  At least – that is all I could do.

At this time everybody is phoning me and David mentioned that I must go to his place and we wait for the rain to stop.  At least I can do nothing more.  While we were waiting for the rain to stop, we decided to go past Queenstown to Matatiele via Elliot.

And so the trip started………….

Kiekies were taken by David and Myself.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:34:25 pm by JMOL »
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
The bike packed and ready to rock and roll the following morning.

I have no words……….

Sitting and wait for the rain to stop and making plans…..

After lunch in Queenstown, we headed for Dordrecht.

It used to be my grandparents house in Elliot way back in the late 60’s and early 70’s.  Every time I am in Elliot, I go pass there.  Not sure why, but maybe it is because of all the good memories I have as a child.

Filling up our bikes and having something sweet.

One lazy Saturday afternoon.

Our place of accommodation would be Cedarberg Guest Farm.  https://goo.gl/maps/T72wnTH9vfNktboc   Live is good.  😊

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
The plan for today (Sunday) is to go to Sehlabathebe National Heritage Centre  https://goo.gl/maps/CjzRrUvcARFgE5oA6  and to enter Lesotho at Qacha's Nek.  I did arrange for accommodation, so we have nothing to worry about.  Watch the space……

David’s daughter, who is my neighbour, contacted him and said that he must be very diplomatic to me but they saw that the wheels of the car are stolen and that the car is resting on bricks.  He just laughed and said to her that all is under control. 😊  😊

While we had a good night’s rest, our horses were waiting patiently to go on a ride.

Views from where we stayed.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
After a healthy breakfast at Wimpy in Matatile we set off to the border post.  What a ride.  The road was in a terrible – full of potholes and stones - and even the taxi’s are battling driving on the road.

Went through the border post without any hassles, after the passports were stamped and a fee was paid.

Roads in a distance

David very glad he made the downhill.  😊

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
Lekker...ek ry saam en drink sommer n loep dop :spitcoffee:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

The following users thanked this post: JMOL

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
By now we were going down the one pass, up the other side, on the plato and then the same again in 15 minutes or so.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
Some scenery. I think that people that live a simple lifestyle, are better off than us running around in circles.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
By now I was getting tired and starting to loose concentration. 

Going down the one pass, I fell, and just sat next to the road.  Tired, thirsty and not in the mood to go on.  Took off my gloves and without noticing, the wedding ring also came off.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
But life goes on and time waits for nobody.

Scenery

Happy kids along the road.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
Eventually we got to Sehlabathebe, but seems to me that I did something wrong.  We were refused entry by a guard and eventually it didn’t make sense to argue with the guy anymore.  He knows the place better than us and he suggested that we go back to the Head Quarters of the park and asked for accommodation as we were on private property. 

By this time it was cold, we were hungry and very tired.

They have 4 rondavels of which one is a bathroom and the other is a kitchen.  The rest are 2 bedrooms of which one has 3 or 4 beds and the other only has a double bed.  We were offered the 2 rondavels and after we paid the fee, we went off to the rondavels to make a fire.  Our hosts arrived and told us that while he offered us the 2 rondavels, his superior also offered a group of students the rondavels.

After a few deals were made, we agreed that we would take the rondavel with the double bed on condition he gives us the a gas heater, and some wood to braai.  Done and dusted and we had a hot shower, braai and went to sleep with the gas heater at full blast.  Due to the fact that there was only 1 double bed in the room, we each kept out distance while sleeping  😊  At 2 during the night I realised that I lost my ring.  I started searching for it, but after I wake David up, I realised that I can do nothing more than what I did and went back to bed.  At about 6 the following morning  the gas bottle was empty and we got up and has breakfast of the leftovers the previous night.

Some pictures of our accommodation.

It was cold, very cold.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
The plan for today (Monday) was to get back to Matatiele, and try to sort out the car.  Yes – that car that gives me sleepless nights…. 

Once we were back in Matatiele, everything went smooth with Fleet Management at Ou Bees’ work and arrangements were made that the car will be collected.  I was also told that it would take some time to get the rims and tyres, but I was OK with it.  Once everything was sorted, I felt like a new person and a nice meal was ordered at the local Wimpy – the second time in 2 days at the same Wimpy…...

Our place for tonight is Khotso Guest Farm https://goo.gl/maps/i6UDiR29xbTVBQqdA   near Underberg.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London

After about 5 guys on horses passed us where we were sitting in the sun like dassies, we started charting to this guy.  He told us that they are on their way to a meeting – cannot remember what meeting, but it is as if tomorrow is another day.  What a way of living.  Another reason to respect them.

Kids on their way to school.

After we defrosted in the sun, had a talk to the leader of the students, we packed and left to sort out my issues in Matatiele.  As a matter of interest – the students were counting fish in the mountains.  Apparently Lesotho is the only country in the world that has a specific kind of fish.

Some scenery on our way back to Matatiele.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
Once we left Matatiele we took the gravel road from Matatiele to Swartberg Country Club.  What a nice road to ride.

The horses are resting at Swartberg Country Club – not that there is any sign of a country club – maybe years ago.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London

Not sure what paperwork was given to me, but we made it.  The place was full of foreigners.

Resting time…….

Scenery

We had a meal at The Old Hatchery and went early to bed, knowing that the car is sorted, and so am I.  :deal: :biggrin:

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
Today, Tuesday, the plan is to go to as far as Nottingham Road and look for a place to sleep.

Scenery the following morning……

Online Offshore

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Maar wat nou van die trouring? Of was dit vir eers vergete toe daai blondie papiertjies uitdeel?  :peepwall: :lol8:

Ek lees altyd jou RRs so JMOL, dan dink ek ek moet vir 'n slag saamry omdat hulle so lekker lyk. Ek lees saam.
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." 

George Orwell

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
En hoorie, om nou eers 'n RR oor 'n 2017 rit te skryf is maar 'n swak vertoning.  :biggrin:  Ek hoop nie jou werk admin is so agter nie.
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." 

George Orwell

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
Maar wat nou van die trouring? Of was dit vir eers vergete toe daai blondie papiertjies uitdeel?  :peepwall: :lol8:

Ek lees altyd jou RRs so JMOL, dan dink ek ek moet vir 'n slag saamry omdat hulle so lekker lyk. Ek lees saam.

Jy is altyd welkom.  Niks ernstig nie - ek maak dit maar maklik en probeer die lewe geniet.  :biggrin:

En hoorie, om nou eers 'n RR oor 'n 2017 rit te skryf is maar 'n swak vertoning.  :biggrin:  Ek hoop nie jou werk admin is so agter nie.

Nee wat - die werk is altyd tip top, maar het nou nuwe manier agtergekom van hoe om die kiekies op te sit.  Sal nie weer nie baas  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: Dorsland

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
Nou eers weer bietjie verder skryf aan Sani - altyd nagmerries oor dit gehad  ;D