Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 300tpi  (Read 1943 times)

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
KTM 300tpi
« on: April 14, 2020, 05:46:01 pm »
I found this video.  I was under the misguided impression that the tpi wasn't for me.  Now I am intrigued.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Crankshaft

Re: KTM 300tpi
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 06:06:28 pm »
I found this video.  I was under the misguided impression that the tpi wasn't for me.  Now I am intrigued.

NICE :drif: :drif: :drif:
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
KTM 1290 Sup Adv R
Current: WR 450F & R1250GSA

Offline Ri

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:33:13 pm »
Faaark steaks most annoyingly nasal-voiced delivery ever, my ears tried to turn inside out :lamer:

Thankfully the bike sounded better :-[

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:21:54 pm »
Faaark steaks most annoyingly nasal-voiced delivery ever, my ears tried to turn inside out :lamer:

He is usually very good, this is not his best work though. The TPI is good, but it's not that much better than the carb models before it in practise. I have ridden both and the low-down improvement I would mostly

attribute to the absence of over-oiling at longer periods of low-rev riding found in the carb model. When you open up the TPI after extended periods of dawdling, there is no lag, no spluttering, it accelerates

smoothly and immediately, where the carb model could sometimes take a second to clear it's throat.  But this is a very small difference.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:50 pm »
I enjoyed the vid and his poor play on Clarkson, I think it was sarcastically aspris. I sadly currenrly don't have an enduro bike but if I did it would still be a normally aspirated 300 or even 250xcw, I love the 250xcw. Great machines! Seems like a great bike but i couldn't fix this thing with a skroewedraaier, cabletie and a tang 60km into a trail, remember - wait 5yrs for new tech to mature, with the current climate I'll have to wait 2022 + 5 years, sadly I'll be 50 so may opt for a trials bike.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 07:10:58 am »
Yes and then open the bore up a little ; 300 what a bike.
You know that feeling when a guru tuner gets your 2-stroke jetting perfectly set, yes that.
All the time.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 08:20:36 am »
You know that feeling when a guru tuner gets your 2-stroke jetting perfectly set, yes that.
All the time.

And now you get to have multiple maps ready to go at the flip of a switch. Steep climbs and steps, flip the switch so you have tons of bottom end grunt, open and fast, just flip the switch to your more top end map. Loads of possibilities for the fast guys.

For the average joe at home, less fiddling with carbs to get jetting right. Don't get me wrong, I love carbs and once you understand them they're easy enough to get running well, but fuel injection is just hassle free. Ride and train at the coast then go ride Lesotho at 3000m without any changes to jetting.

edit: I'm only referring to enduro here. For long distance bikes I still prefer carbs because I can fix it next to the road.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:23:06 am by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 08:55:37 am »
Yes, the hassle-free nature of the TPI is fantastic. It is an add-on to the play and leave nature of the 2stroke.

The reliability factor in still something I must get my head around, not so much that it will break, but that if it does, I cannot always fix it.

You do not find any cars with carbs, yet their F.I. gives really few problems, despite the numbers out there.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 09:12:12 am »

Ryan usually makes excellent reviews.....give him a chance and watch some more of his stuff
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia

Online BuRP

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 09:55:09 am »
And now you get to have multiple maps ready to go at the flip of a switch. Steep climbs and steps, flip the switch so you have tons of bottom end grunt, open and fast, just flip the switch to your more top end map. Loads of possibilities for the fast guys.

Yeah, it does come with a mapswitch.... which the dealer suggested we leave in the box as it doesn't do anything.
Me, wanting the utmostest of low grunt available asked him to put it on please, thinking I'll know better plus, with a single flip I'll be able to change from tractor to wheelying powerband-screaming monster like in the old days!
I found out we were both wrong, but the dealer was by far the rightest: it hardly does anything perceptible!
It has indeed a linear character, from strong low down lugging torque (not easy to stall) to powerful screaming, it's an awesome bike!
But Kortbroek, I'm no fast guy, I leave that to those too young to know that breaking bones hurts!  :P

Gone are the old days when opening the throttle resulted in more noise, then a reluctant increase in revs until it suddenly screamed and then threw you off the back wheel... it now just becomes 'more' the more you open it up.
The low down linear torque is like cheating in technical stuff, bloody awesome  ;D
Try one on for size if you can @katana , you'll love it!  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 10:12:40 am »
To get a fair idea, even though the video is "old", watch this; "EFI vs carburetor 2 stroke KTM dirtbike; what should you buy in 2019 or 2019"

The TPI's are great, but they are much more pricey, and for the average rider there is not that much of a difference.

It is suddenly beginning to sound like carbs are the worst thing out there. ::). Do not be fooled, my 2003 300 has the low-down power, and the ability to lay it down, of the TPI bikes.

Or should I phrase this differently?  For our level of technical riding, my 2003 300 will go where any TPI will go.

Of course, overall performance is no comparison.

But for the "weekend warrior", the TPI is considerably more expensive, and you cannot mix in BP "Zip" in an emergency. ;)

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 10:29:24 am »
I disagree on the mapping switch, it certainly does make a difference in how fast it revs out.
I find that if I am in Map 2 (tractor) that I struggle to loft the front at will and need to preload more,
With the Map on 1 I it lights up more but I can feel the traction being lost on climbs.

Its very light but in the right situation its very clear.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:40 am »
All the time, everywhere, anywhere, any condition and consistently so without any hesitation

:laughing4: Just like that,  myself I am a turned skeptic.  KTM with counter balance shaft and TPI has basically ruined any other 2T going forward . . .

I would love to have a 2020 Sherco but I pay dental out of pocket and have come to enjoy only filling up every other ride + the added 120Km range in lesotho.
Stroom op!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 10:44:57 am »
Am I the only one that hates to have to premix?
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 10:50:36 am »

Another big plus for the TPI.

Even a hardened dirt and road stroker like myself do not feel like handling sticky "petroil" cans anymore.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 10:52:30 am »

Nope, and if my 1 recording was correct I managed 17hrs on one tank of 2T oil
Stroom op!

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 10:56:23 am »
Oom James never lies and neither does the Dyno. 

Keep in mind this is a 250 and engine characteristics are slightly different as one would expect.
Map also changes ever so slightly after adjusting the PV.  ( I dont have the switch so just did it manually as an experiment)

Stroom op!

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 11:01:11 am »
As you can see by the Dyno charts above that contrary to popular belief the switch does not do anything for the bottom end unless you can feel 0,5HP,  (read: rock crawling environment) it does however flatten out the curve making for a smoother tractor like power curve.
Not sure how the uninformed masses perception around the map switch became an actual thing in the market.

Flipping the switch on the TPI is day and night difference when you riding 3-5th gear as the it feels flat/dead/linear once the PV opens as if its a badly tuned carb bike that is over fueling.
Stroom op!

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 11:04:13 am »

Yeah, it does come with a mapswitch.... which the dealer suggested we leave in the box as it doesn't do anything.
Me, wanting the utmostest of low grunt available asked him to put it on please, thinking I'll know better plus, with a single flip I'll be able to change from tractor to wheelying powerband-screaming monster like in the old days!
I found out we were both wrong, but the dealer was by far the rightest: it hardly does anything perceptible!
It has indeed a linear character, from strong low down lugging torque (not easy to stall) to powerful screaming, it's an awesome bike!
But Kortbroek, I'm no fast guy, I leave that to those too young to know that breaking bones hurts!  :P

Gone are the old days when opening the throttle resulted in more noise, then a reluctant increase in revs until it suddenly screamed and then threw you off the back wheel... it now just becomes 'more' the more you open it up.
The low down linear torque is like cheating in technical stuff, bloody awesome  ;D
Try one on for size if you can @katana , you'll love it!  :thumleft:
My 2012 ticks all the boxes at the moment.  I have just always dreamed of a new out the box enduro with myself being in control of its history and maintenance.  It irked me that I would not have a chance to buy a new bike with a carb.  Now however I would give it a bash.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 11:11:40 am »
OK, nobody mentioned premix so I was wondering if the more seasoned 2t riders appreciate that benefit. For an occasional spur of the moment rider like myself, that was interfering with riding at times. Not to mention it's just annoying
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:12:02 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy