Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda Transalp700 or Yamaha XT660R?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Tyre kicker

Honda Transalp700 or Yamaha XT660R?
« on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:23 pm »
I would like some advice and would like to know why you say so not merely what your favourite is.

I can get both a Honda  Transalp 700 2009 model with 30 000 Km's on the clock as well a 2011 Yamaha XT660R with 10 000km's on the clock.

The price is exactly the same on both.

Which one would you take and why?

Please note that I would like to do some touring mostly on tar but have off road capability on sand roads.
No Baviaans, Lesoto or the likes ever.

I want a smaller and more docile sightseeing bike to tour the country and country side  than a GS1200 or large KTM.
Please don't suggest other bikes as the question relates to these two bikes only. :thumleft:

It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
Re: Honda Transalp700 or Yamaha XT660R?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 03:47:50 pm »
Both good bikes, but for what you say, Transalp
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline BFG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 04:32:31 pm »
Both good bikes, but for what you say, Transalp
+1 Transalp

Offline Smoky

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 04:37:49 pm »
I have an XT 660R and I love it for commuting, but if I am using the highway my NC 700 is much smoother. I would suggest the Transalp, that is also a twin isn't it?

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 04:38:59 pm »
I would go with the 'Alp. It's a smooth-running twin, as opposed to a single.
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Serfie

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 04:42:05 pm »
For what you need the bike to do, no doubt whatsoever ...go for the TA, it has a twin cylinder and has much more oomph on the open road, it is also quite capable to do off roading without any issues! You have no choice really...the AT is the way to go..
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650 : 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 /  2014 BMW F700GS

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 04:47:58 pm »
for what you say you will use the bike for the Transalp will be the better choice.

Born to lose, live to win!!

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 04:58:32 pm »
On my XT660 R I have ridden from Jeffreysbay to Pretoria a couple of times in one go.
1160km in 12 hours. But then I stop only for petrol and seldom get off the bike while they filling up .
Never ridden a TA 700 but I am a fan and for mostly tar the transalp must be a better bike
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 05:02:56 pm »
My BIL had one for many years, 660R that is.

Like a Honda Jazz, the perfect boring weapon that will never fail you. But that's what it was, boring.

The 700 ain't much more of a wild thing, but the twin will assist with smoother ride, the 19" with better road holding and the ability to go off road. Even though the 660R is really comfy, the TA is even more so.
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 05:20:50 pm »
I love Yammies, but for what you describe I also think you'll be happier with the TransAlp.

Offline Exploratio

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 05:57:36 pm »
No experience of the XT. Went around the country twice on my TA. No problems, super reliable and very comfy. Only gripe would be that it needs a 6th gear. On the open tar that is noticable.
All said you wont be sorry with the TA.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline GRIM

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 06:05:44 pm »
If you go with the transalp could you please send me the details of the xt?
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline skydiver

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 07:14:22 pm »
I had the 660R for a number of years and used it more on gravel than tar as it really needed a 6th gear for tar travelling
Rather get the Transalp IMHO
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

Offline landieman

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 07:21:59 pm »
The twin is the better option for the longer tar stretches I agree,the 660 is more fun for the more technical stuff I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline plonker

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 07:36:25 pm »
Can I put 50c worth in. Honda definitely better for open road touring. You will get tired of the big single. In saying that my Dakar took me many comfortable miles.
However I would try opt for a lower milage unit especially as both same price. Be patient you will find one at right price.

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 08:19:19 pm »
Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far, it pretty much is what I expected most to say. :thumleft:
Having said that would they both do equally well as a run around to the shops and local usage around the house for when I am not on the open road so to speak or is the Transalp to bulky and cumbersome for that opposed to the XT?

It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Online iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 08:47:01 pm »
I did 70k km on my Transalp - can highly recommend for your use case. It's varking heavy for a 700 but the weight sits low and is VERY maneuverable around town. Took me a while to get used to my useless-by-comparison 990 .
Test rode a 660 Tenere as a replacement to the Transalp and wasn't impressed.

Here's everything I can remember about the Honda:
  • Yes it's a twin, but not an even firing one like the KTM twins for example. It's almost a 700 single, but not quite. Still smoother than the 660.
  • If you're going to be munching miles on the highway then you'll want to get the 16 tooth front sprocket. The stock gearing is too short, you only have 5 gears and that motor ("700 single") doesn't like to rev high. Treat it like a thumper.
  • The 700 was released in 2008, but late 2010 they upgraded it slightly to have three piston calipers at the front and ABS as standard. The ABS is not switch-able, but I can testify that it works well in the dirt.
  • The progressive spring upgrade for the forks helped a lot for higher speed gravel but didn't do much to stop the nose diving under braking. Not a big deal.
  • The CAT on the 700 is placed REALLY badly - if you're going to be tackling rocks then you're going to want to cut it out ASAP.
  • The Givi crash bars are great, but the gear lever was a common casualty whenever I dropped mine.
  • The standard screen is useless if you're over 5'6". I'm 6 foot and I had to get the Givi touring screen. Best money I spent on that bike.
  • The service intervals are short and checking valve clearances on the 700 is a mission = sometimes expensive.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:48:45 pm by iamgigglz »
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

The following users thanked this post: Lime Tree

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 10:02:18 am »
I did 70k km on my Transalp - can highly recommend for your use case. It's varking heavy for a 700 but the weight sits low and is VERY maneuverable around town. Took me a while to get used to my useless-by-comparison 990 .
Test rode a 660 Tenere as a replacement to the Transalp and wasn't impressed.

Here's everything I can remember about the Honda:
  • Yes it's a twin, but not an even firing one like the KTM twins for example. It's almost a 700 single, but not quite. Still smoother than the 660.
  • If you're going to be munching miles on the highway then you'll want to get the 16 tooth front sprocket. The stock gearing is too short, you only have 5 gears and that motor ("700 single") doesn't like to rev high. Treat it like a thumper.
  • The 700 was released in 2008, but late 2010 they upgraded it slightly to have three piston calipers at the front and ABS as standard. The ABS is not switch-able, but I can testify that it works well in the dirt.
  • The progressive spring upgrade for the forks helped a lot for higher speed gravel but didn't do much to stop the nose diving under braking. Not a big deal.
  • The CAT on the 700 is placed REALLY badly - if you're going to be tackling rocks then you're going to want to cut it out ASAP.
  • The Givi crash bars are great, but the gear lever was a common casualty whenever I dropped mine.
  • The standard screen is useless if you're over 5'6". I'm 6 foot and I had to get the Givi touring screen. Best money I spent on that bike.
  • The service intervals are short and checking valve clearances on the 700 is a mission = sometimes expensive.

Excellent feedback
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:02:53 am by Tyre kicker »

Offline MildlyWild

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2020, 02:13:59 pm »
No experience of the XT. Went around the country twice on my TA. No problems, super reliable and very comfy. Only gripe would be that it needs a 6th gear. On the open tar that is noticable.
All said you wont be sorry with the TA.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

If you're not going to do serious slow offroad putting a spocket 1 tooth bigger in front will make a big difference to the revs at speed, and also increase top speed by 12-15km/h
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2020, 02:49:47 pm »
A bit more info / feedback for you...

The 'Alp is a very underrated bike in my opinion. When I was shopping for a bike 11 years back, I was offered the 650 'Alp that I currently ride.

I wasn't impressed by the bulky looks, and had my eye on a KLR, but it was sold before I could get my bucks together. The then owner of the 'Alp "pestered" me on an ongoing basis to buy his, because he needed the money to buy a house (he was a pilot who worked with me, so I had no problems with the purchase.)

Eventually I gave in and went round to his place to ride it, and was pleasantly surprised. It had power, comfort, touring ability, and some pretty good off-)road (not plastic-type off-road) capabilities. I have pillioned my wife on two long (more than 3500km per trip) holiday trips, we have been into / out of Die Hel with her on the back. Climbing out of Die Hel we were in 1st for about 15 minutes until we got on top of the zig-zags, and after that no more problem. Baviaans was a doddle... the 'Alp hardly even felt it.

As you can see by the piccie, we were somewhat loaded. The only downfall with the 650 is economy, or lack therof. I average about 16km/l. The 700 gets around 20 - 21km/l, depending on how it's ridden.

My wife started her riding career on a Chinese 200, and I then bought her a KLE, which I hated. Swapped that eventually for a KLR, which she couldn't gel with... A 650 'Alp became available here, and I snapped it up. Best move I could have made... she smiled, and I got lucky  :P :imaposer:

I don't know where in Gauteng you stay... I'm in Benoni. If you would like to test the 650, feel free to drop me a PM, and you can come around and ride mine, or my wife's.

Oh... someone mentioned that his choice would be a bike with lower km's than the 30 000 on the 'Alp. Believe me, at 30 000km, it hasn't even started getting its baby-teeth  :) Chat to @Tommy Transalp  about how tough and reliable the 650's are...  :thumleft:

Good luck with whatever you decide.
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints