Many moons ago....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorsland

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I am scratching around in my photos today, taking a trip down memory lane.  I loaded an app onto my phone that scans pix really well,  I want to preserve them digitally as soon many of them will be so faded they won't be viewable anymore.

I came across this newspaper clipping out of the Citizen newspaper that I kept, must be around 1979 or '80, maybe '81.  Unfortunately I never wrote the date on the clipping.  Back then, while I was in the army, I saved almost all my money and had a dream to buy an XT500 and do the reverse trip of that that these Hollanders did.  Well life, studying, job, girlfriends and so on happened.  The world was big back then, too many things claimed my attention.  I couldn't give 100% attention to all of them and sadly, this dream fell by the wayside.  Nowadays, the world is too small to hold me.  My jeukvoete raak nie meer gekrap nie.

Later in life, still riding bikes but mostly street bikes, I could live out a smaller version of my dream by traveling a lot of places. Then along came "dual sport" or "adventure biking", Adventure Rider forum, Wilddog forum. My leisure activity now had a name.  :biggrin:

And here we are today (yes I know: never start a sentence with "and"  ;D), overlanding, adventure biking, women living on the motorbike trails of the world, entire industries built on a lifestyle that had humble beginnings many moons ago.

Attachments

• 1587805715215-e36ccc0d-deac-46f2-b8ef-089c94d67e0b.jpg
    1587805715215-e36ccc0d-deac-46f2-b8ef-089c94d67e0b.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 415