Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Many moons ago....  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Wayne

Re: Many moons ago....
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2020, 01:52:43 pm »
I was also 17 when I went to the army. Came from a pretty sheltered upbringing. Had to grow up fast and quickly.
Don't get me started on today's kids. They have no vasbyt and never will.
I do quite a bit of mountain biking and enter the odd events. Have a look when the going gets tough, the youngsters are the first to cave and start grumbling.

Maybe I am hardegat, but I for the life of me, simply refuse to give up when the going gets tough physically. That is also when you need to dig deep and mentally you need to be strong. Actually I find it a bit of a adrenaline rush when you mind throws that switch and says "right, shit got real and now you need to carry on".

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline GravelFox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2020, 02:00:09 pm »
Agreed Wayne - I think it also prepared us for the working environment...did not question everything and when the going gets tough you put your head down and just work harder...I still use my JL corporal's saying when cycling...when you think you are dying - there is still 40% left.
GravelFox
ex, MT50, XT250, XT550, KLR600, Africa Twin, XRE500, GS1200, DRZ400, CRF250L,
Now: XTZ660, 1200 GSA LC

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2020, 02:09:55 pm »
Agreed Wayne - I think it also prepared us for the working environment...did not question everything and when the going gets tough you put your head down and just work harder...I still use my JL corporal's saying when cycling...when you think you are dying - there is still 40% left.
Dan het ons PT instrukteur ve ons gelieg of sy wiskunde was akkies, sy verhouding was weer anders. 60% oor as jy voel jy wil dood!!! ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline GravelFox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2020, 02:17:38 pm »
Maar onthou die PTI het die license gehad om meer uit jou te haal.
GravelFox
ex, MT50, XT250, XT550, KLR600, Africa Twin, XRE500, GS1200, DRZ400, CRF250L,
Now: XTZ660, 1200 GSA LC

Offline Wayne

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2020, 02:19:36 pm »
Actually I think the American marines call it the 40% rule. When your mind says enough, your body is only 40% done.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2020, 02:47:42 pm »
These are not my pics. They from a friend on Facebook who did a trip down memory lane with pics.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2020, 02:48:50 pm »
Some more

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2020, 03:39:41 pm »
Wow Dorsland, what a great thread. Like most guys who've read this thread, the thing that stands out most is not so much the bikes, but rather how much the world has changed. I turned 51 a few days ago, and some lightie teased me about my age. My response was that I would happily go back in time, but I definitely would not want to be a 21 year old now, in 2020. 3 years ago I moved down to the coast, thinking I'd enjoy the peace and quiet, but after the exciting life I've had, I'm finding it difficult to adjust to this sterile, wet fart society in town. I miss excitement, freedom, the ability to dish out a PK if someone insults me, like wise the expectation of receiving one if the roles are reversed. Aaah @%&*, I'm getting all sentimental now.

'69 Model.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2020, 04:05:07 pm »
Wow Dorsland, what a great thread. Like most guys who've read this thread, the thing that stands out most is not so much the bikes, but rather how much the world has changed. I turned 51 a few days ago, and some lightie teased me about my age. My response was that I would happily go back in time, but I definitely would not want to be a 21 year old now, in 2020. 3 years ago I moved down to the coast, thinking I'd enjoy the peace and quiet, but after the exciting life I've had, I'm finding it difficult to adjust to this sterile, wet fart society in town. I miss excitement, freedom, the ability to dish out a PK if someone insults me, like wise the expectation of receiving one if the roles are reversed. Aaah @%&*, I'm getting all sentimental now.

I walked off the Mossgas Construction Site (poached back by my old company), I spent the next couple of months in our Parktown offices, climbing down the throats of "sensitive people" who faffed around instead of getting it done! Eventually I got used to the office again, but construction was different, I spent 6 months eating dirt on a job in Ellisras, the Client chewed me daily, then one day a member of his staff overstepped the line, I went ballistic, over the top but it was satisfying. Yes I miss that "Ceasar" challenge of the large construction projects, where YOU make decisions, NOT a committee. But now I am not there and neither is the industry, the big men are just as hard, but with a velvet glove and ruled by HR and committee's not like my days.  :sip:   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:06:59 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2020, 04:16:20 pm »
Het so n 1300 ook gehad. Myne was net standaard so groene .  Baie lekker bike gewees. Mal oor hom gewees. Het n 6 into one cowley pyp op hom gehad met die performance end piece waar n mens jou hand omtrent kon indruk. Hy het  omtrent gesels en was al pyp wat ek kon bekostig.
Die CBX 6 cyl ook gehad maar nie van hom gehou nie.  Hy het 6 into 1 kerker opgehad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:19:18 pm by subie »
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2020, 04:34:21 pm »
These are not my pics. They from a friend on Facebook who did a trip down memory lane with pics.
I miss my Katana
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2020, 04:44:38 pm »
Subie, daai ou op die 1300 Kawa is Clinton Sadler of Teach soos almal hom ken. Blykbaar iets oor die 30 van daai 1300's.

The following users thanked this post: subie

Online Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2020, 04:46:02 pm »
Those Katanas were revolutionary in terms of styling back then.  It seemed to me that manufacturers were more daring, more willing to try new stuff back then.  6 cylinder inline bikes, daring styling like the Katanas and CBR1100 Hondas (those first models), the RD350, Kawasaki triple 500 and 750s, Unishock, Monoshock, Prolink rear suspensions, turbos.  Legislation and bean counters have killed all that creativity these days.  Today it's all electronic gizmos but basically the same styling and nothing WOW! on the market.  I think the double front wheel Yamaha abomination is about the weirdest thing out there now.
'Tis the time’s plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Online Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2020, 04:51:58 pm »
Het so n 1300 ook gehad. Myne was net standaard so groene .  Baie lekker bike gewees. Mal oor hom gewees. Het n 6 into one cowley pyp op hom gehad met die performance end piece waar n mens jou hand omtrent kon indruk. Hy het  omtrent gesels en was al pyp wat ek kon bekostig.
Die CBX 6 cyl ook gehad maar nie van hom gehou nie.  Hy het 6 into 1 kerker opgehad

Op die eerste, enigste en laaste Rhino rally wat ek ooit op was, was daar 'n ou met so 'n 1300 Kawa.  Die hele fiets, van kop tot tone was gekroom, als.  Wat my vandag nog bybly oor daai rally, sy meisie, bitter mooi, lang blonde hare, meisie waarop 'n ma kan trots wees.  Poedelnakend!  Staan sy agter op daai 1300 terwyl hy haar so op en af in die pad paradeer. (dis seker nou nie die regte woord om te gebruik nie  :peepwall: :lol8:)

Kyk, vir 'n ou van hier vroeg in sy 20s, fiks, met 'n lewens- en avontuurlus wat skrik vir niks, sonder sy eie meisie daai tyd, was dit 'n uiterse uitdaging om my deklus in toom te hou.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:52:54 pm by Dorsland »

King Lear

Online Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Many moons ago....
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2020, 04:54:53 pm »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:16:42 am by Dorsland »

King Lear

Online Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Many moons ago....
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2020, 04:55:59 pm »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:16:08 am by Dorsland »

King Lear

Online Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Many moons ago....
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2020, 04:57:01 pm »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:17:02 am by Dorsland »

King Lear

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2020, 04:58:26 pm »

Toppie in the third pick on the red honda. Legend on the club and rally scene. We were together at Midnight club. Cant remember his name.

Wonder if he is still alive
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Wayne

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2020, 05:04:31 pm »

Toppie in the third pick on the red honda. Legend on the club and rally scene. We were together at Midnight club. Cant remember his name.

His name is Jackie. I almost seem to think he has passed away.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2020, 05:11:42 pm »

His name is Jackie. I almost seem to think he has passed away.

👍 He was already old when I knew him in the eighties
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !