Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2012 Tiger 800 XC using oil - A lot.  (Read 939 times)

Offline mark250gp

2012 Tiger 800 XC using oil - A lot.
« on: April 29, 2020, 08:41:10 am »
I bought this scoot in December, its s 2012 Tiger 800 XC and had 32K km's on the clock. It had just had a service so I happily did about 8000 kms on it without checking the oil level. When I did check, the sight glass was completely empty. I topped it up to the halfway mark and kept checking and it had been using a lot of oil. I can't say exactly how much but its a lot. I serviced it and have been continuing to check and I'm not happy with the oil usage. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust and no oil in the water, when it had its service the valve clearances were checked. Reading online, oil usage is quite common on the Triumph's although I think my usage is excessive and would like to either find the issue or rule out any potential issues.

Where do I start? Compression or leak down tests? Does this need to be done by a workshop or is it something that can be done at home with the right tools? I've read somewhere between 150 and 180 PSi is ok but where would I find the exact stats? Internet search isn't turning up results.

Is anything else worth checking?

Offline iamgigglz

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
Re: 2012 Tiger 800 XC using oil - A lot.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:01:54 am »
@TriBaldy did you ever pin down your 800XC's oil consumption?
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

The following users thanked this post: Mossieec

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:53:34 am »
@TriBaldy did you ever pin down your 800XC's oil consumption?

Sure he is reading the oil level incorrectly, overfilling and blowing all the excess oil out his airbox.   Its quite difficult to read the oil level properly because of the reflection in the glass window on these bikes.  Ask me I know.  Also changing to synthetic helps with oil use.

Online Tman21

• Vendors
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 12:46:48 pm »
Both wheels flat on the ground.

Top up every 2000km the same way to measure quantity used.  Have to know exactly how much its consuming.

I recall my dads 900 Trophy taking about 2l between services.
Stroom op!