2012 Tiger 800 XC using oil - A lot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark250gp

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
I bought this scoot in December, its s 2012 Tiger 800 XC and had 32K km's on the clock. It had just had a service so I happily did about 8000 kms on it without checking the oil level. When I did check, the sight glass was completely empty. I topped it up to the halfway mark and kept checking and it had been using a lot of oil. I can't say exactly how much but its a lot. I serviced it and have been continuing to check and I'm not happy with the oil usage. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust and no oil in the water, when it had its service the valve clearances were checked. Reading online, oil usage is quite common on the Triumph's although I think my usage is excessive and would like to either find the issue or rule out any potential issues.

Where do I start? Compression or leak down tests? Does this need to be done by a workshop or is it something that can be done at home with the right tools? I've read somewhere between 150 and 180 PSi is ok but where would I find the exact stats? Internet search isn't turning up results.

Is anything else worth checking?