Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW R1200GS TROPHY SUSPENSION CONVERSION!  (Read 460 times)

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
BMW R1200GS TROPHY SUSPENSION CONVERSION!
« on: April 30, 2020, 09:24:38 am »
Beauty of Lockdown, Cobblers shoes get shined!
The Bling King Demo R1200GS GS Trophy gets decent Suspension.
Built these awesome shocks at Wilbers when I was there in November. Just no time to fit them. You have to know what a cool idea it is fitting suspension to your bike, that has been built at the Wilbers Factory in Germany by yourself - it is the best feeling ever!

The GS Trophy has really crappy suspension, but the reason that I buy the Trophy vs the full spec LC is that I dislike the Dynamic ESA suspension even more. If I want my settings changed, I will do it manually thank you. Besides, the quality of the Wilbers Suspension in both cases is literally like night and day!

Now my new demo handles like a dream, cannot wait to get onto the dirt or better still do a track day. Using any excuse to ride my new beaut!

Check the suspension out on www.wilbers.de or www.blingkingbikes.co.za

Any enquiries can be directed to denver@blingkingbikes.co.za or 082 450 8878
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Offline Bravofox

Re: BMW R1200GS TROPHY SUSPENSION CONVERSION!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 12:30:17 pm »
I did not know you got the LC facelift in the Trophy Edition? All Trophys I have seen is the pre-facelift...

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 04:23:43 pm »
In a video of a highly modified R1250GS, they take out the ESA in favor of a manual shock - Wilbers

https://youtu.be/7fAosVNzRko

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:25:05 pm by DavidMorrisXp »
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

The following users thanked this post: BlingKing

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:38:43 am »
I did not know you got the LC facelift in the Trophy Edition? All Trophys I have seen is the pre-facelift...

Yup they did a few - it did make me grumpy how much of my old one didn't fit my new one. But as an Accessory Supplier I should've figured that one, I had to order a whole bunch of new stuff from Wunderlich, but anyhoo.
The shocks were the same though.
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:57:17 am »
In a video of a highly modified R1250GS, they take out the ESA in favor of a manual shock - Wilbers

Yup by throwing off that whole dynamic ESA system he would've saved a whole bunch of Kgs which is clearly his quest with this bike. Let me tell you with that suspension that thing must handle like a dream.
WILBERS do a full work up for the electronic package that works in unison with the Dynamic ESA system. Which you can also order to your weight and ride specifics. It makes a huge difference to the handling off-road.

I have done a few conversions on bikes for customers and can tell you that bike on the hoof in ZAR terms is around R475K but hey when you work in Dubai in some proffessions you can afford to throw that sort of money around. He has three others in the garage!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 03:42:55 pm »

Yup by throwing off that whole dynamic ESA system he would've saved a whole bunch of Kgs which is clearly his quest with this bike. Let me tell you with that suspension that thing must handle like a dream.
WILBERS do a full work up for the electronic package that works in unison with the Dynamic ESA system. Which you can also order to your weight and ride specifics. It makes a huge difference to the handling off-road.

I have done a few conversions on bikes for customers and can tell you that bike on the hoof in ZAR terms is around R475K but hey when you work in Dubai in some proffessions you can afford to throw that sort of money around. He has three others in the garage!

Now I understand why you had the Trophy version of the 1200

Offline sgt

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 09:16:10 pm »
Denver recently sorted me out with suspension (and Donford BMW in Stellenbosch fitted it for me). Can't wait to try it out next month in the Eastern Cape for my next adventure!  8) 8) 8)

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 08:05:45 am »
I have recently seen a Trophy version, new shape, in the Rallye color scheme. Very pretty. The guy told me it is a 2017, which puzzles me as mine is a 2107 and there was only one option available, and that was the white and silver, although my engine and swing arm are black, whereas I have seen some where these are silver.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 12:41:57 pm »
I have recently seen a Trophy version, new shape, in the Rallye color scheme. Very pretty. The guy told me it is a 2017, which puzzles me as mine is a 2107 and there was only one option available, and that was the white and silver, although my engine and swing arm are black, whereas I have seen some where these are silver.

In South Africa AFAIK, BMW imported full spec LC's and these were available off the dealers floor. Then for the 2015 GS Trophy, they imported a batch of the low spec LC calling it a Trophy

You could however order different spec models which you would have to wait for shipment from the factory, an example of this was the low suspension version which I believe was by order only

I think I have the right story above

Offline windswept

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 12:53:36 pm »
Denver recently sorted me out with suspension (and Donford BMW in Stellenbosch fitted it for me). Can't wait to try it out next month in the Eastern Cape for my next adventure!  8) 8) 8)

Did you do both front and back, and do you notice a great difference? Was it worth it? :thumleft:  @sgt
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:11:56 am by windswept »