Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: THE NEED TO RECALCULATE!!!  (Read 2025 times)

Offline BabyBeemer

Re: THE NEED TO RECALCULATE!!!
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2020, 01:01:51 pm »
I had the 700 Transalp and traded in a year later for The F650GS twin - cannot compare the 2.  The GS is just streets ahead - more power, better fuel consumption - I did 53,000Km mostly 2 up touring on the GS in 3.5 years - was a brilliant and most underrated bike.  Compared to the 800 GS which I also owned - the 650 was better on the road - handling, ease of use and tubeliss.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2020, 01:40:43 pm »
Bullet proof engine as long as you prepared to live with Suzuki electronics. Mine has intermittend problem where dash goes blank. I just live with it.
I have chased problems on a wee before.  My conclusion was that the connectors used was rated too low.  I found a lot of 'hot' pins melted in the connectors.  I sorted out 99% of the issues putting new connectors on.

That's what may have solved the problem. I pulled, inspected and cleaned all the connectors I could get to. Also the fuses.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2020, 05:20:10 pm »
I don't get the rant  ???

There are so many Transalps for sale, there were even some for sale on this site, just go find another one, you can pick them up for cheap with low KM.. bike shopping must be the most fun thing on the planet

Whats the problem?

You really don't get do you??
It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Offline Ortos

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Ride to Ride another day"
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2020, 08:11:36 am »
What about an Africa Twin.

Don't knowo what your price range is, but this bike seems to be very well kitted. If I was in the market right now I'd certainly be looking at this.

Sorry you lost the 'Alp. Salesman is a real cock-jockey...  ::) :( >:(

A wise man once said "The Man does not find the Steed, the Steed finds the Man" - that being said have a serious look at the Africa Twins  ;)
- Some people are like clouds, once they fuck-off it turns into a
  beautiful day!

Offline silberfuchs

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2020, 09:25:06 am »
Hello Tyre Kicker,

I read this only today.
I own a 2007 KTM Super Enduro with about 10.000, kilos on the clock.Being rather stuck on the farm I underutilise the bike. Got all sorts of extras like 30 l safari tank, wings exhaust pots, steering damper luggage rack, touratech boxes etc.
I do not know if that bike would tick all your boxes. I never advertised her she is standing in the dining room of the old farm house.
Write me a PM if you are interested and possibly what amount you have available or are willing to spend (not under 100.000,-)

Hope this is not off topic or wrong fred

Cheers

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2020, 10:36:57 am »
Hello Tyre Kicker,

I read this only today.
I own a 2007 KTM Super Enduro with about 10.000, kilos on the clock.Being rather stuck on the farm I underutilise the bike. Got all sorts of extras like 30 l safari tank, wings exhaust pots, steering damper luggage rack, touratech boxes etc.
I do not know if that bike would tick all your boxes. I never advertised her she is standing in the dining room of the old farm house.
Write me a PM if you are interested and possibly what amount you have available or are willing to spend (not under 100.000,-)

Hope this is not off topic or wrong fred

Cheers

Thanks silberfuchs
The bike I am looking for is a tourer and not as serious powerful adventure bike, in fact I don't want to go to anything much larger that a 650.
Thanks for the offer though? :thumleft:

It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 10:40:43 am »

Don't knowo what your price range is, but this bike seems to be very well kitted. If I was in the market right now I'd certainly be looking at this.

A wise man once said "The Man does not find the Steed, the Steed finds the Man" - that being said have a serious look at the Africa Twins  ;)

Too big a bike and too bulky for me. :'(
I am blessed with shortish legs so nothing near the 1000cc type and size of bike or larger or taller  frame bikes.

Offline Lem

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 11:04:43 am »
I have read your opening post again.

For the capability you need, with a lower seat height I would say the boxes gets ticked by the 1150GS in your avatar and the Suzuki V-strom in your avatar. Those are both heavy though, but they are both tubeless, the BMW is shaft drive & both of them are superb open road bikes.

If you need to save 30kgs on those two...look at the F650GS Twin/F700GS.

But it seems as though another bike that will tick your boxes...

Honda NC750X

It's extremely smooth, very light on fuel, low seat height. With a few farkles like a taller screen, bashplate & some luggage it is a great tourer and it will easily ride all the smooth gravel into lodges and through the Karoo

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Online Psycho Porra

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2020, 12:51:15 pm »

Too big a bike and too bulky for me. :'(
I am blessed with shortish legs so nothing near the 1000cc type and size of bike or larger or taller  frame bikes.
TK, I am also vertically challenged, hence you will see the seat is lowered on my AT. I touch the ground comfortably
KTM990, XT660R

"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2020, 04:29:41 pm »

For the capability you need, with a lower seat height I would say the boxes gets ticked by the 1150GS in your avatar and the Suzuki V-strom in your avatar. Those are both heavy though, but they are both tubeless, the BMW is shaft drive & both of them are superb open road bikes.

Honda NC750X

It's extremely smooth, very light on fuel, low seat height. With a few farkles like a taller screen, bashplate & some luggage it is a great tourer and it will easily ride all the smooth gravel into lodges and through the Karoo

Is the Transalp700 not a more versatile bike that the NC750X?

Also Transalp700 has 59HP and 60NM Torque vs NC750X 54HP and 68NM Torque.

What say the folks with the NC750X bikes please? :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:30:52 pm by Tyre kicker »

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2020, 09:26:25 am »
STOP !!!!!  If you are looking for a good sized tourer that you can commute on and hit the occasional  dirt road look for a TDM900 I have the 850 as my back up bike which was my main bike for years, 18" front wheel handles like a dream and as reliable a bike as you can get they are also relatively well priced

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2020, 09:04:46 pm »
Where are the guys and girls with the Triumph Tiger 800's? :)

What is your opinion of the Triumph Tiger 800XC as a bike that can tick all the boxes for both on road and off road riding for which I intend using it?

Surely it is probably one of the best On Road Tourers as well as Off Road capable bikes with the great suspension and the smooth surge of Triple torque of the Tigers engine.

Can some of you give some much appreciated first hand feedback on the Triumph Tiger 800xc model please? :thumleft:

Good and bad feedback if there is too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:06:29 pm by Tyre kicker »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2020, 10:54:08 pm »
STOP !!!!!  If you are looking for a good sized tourer that you can commute on and hit the occasional  dirt road look for a TDM900 I have the 850 as my back up bike which was my main bike for years, 18" front wheel handles like a dream and as reliable a bike as you can get they are also relatively well priced

Aha, the thread coming back on track again....... :thumleft:

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2020, 02:40:10 pm »
Where are the guys and girls with the Triumph Tiger 800's? :)

What is your opinion of the Triumph Tiger 800XC as a bike that can tick all the boxes for both on road and off road riding for which I intend using it?

Surely it is probably one of the best On Road Tourers as well as Off Road capable bikes with the great suspension and the smooth surge of Triple torque of the Tigers engine.

Can some of you give some much appreciated first hand feedback on the Triumph Tiger 800xc model please? :thumleft:

Good and bad feedback if there is too.
No feedback from Triumph Tiger owners here?
Tell me about your Triumph XC800's please?

Offline Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2020, 05:34:45 pm »
Got a Yamaha MT07 Tracer, 2019, 11200 kms on the clock, spotless with a back box.

If interested pm me.

Great commuter and okay on good gravel.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Online Psycho Porra

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2020, 05:39:43 pm »
Triumph 800 XCX has WP shocks upfront. Good bike and very underrated.
KTM990, XT660R

"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline Lem

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2020, 05:50:22 pm »

Honda NC750X

Is the Transalp700 not a more versatile bike that the NC750X?

Also Transalp700 has 59HP and 60NM Torque vs NC750X 54HP and 68NM Torque.

What say the folks with the NC750X bikes please? :thumleft:
Yeah, versatility means different things to different people.

the Transalp 700 is designed to be a dual purpose tourer, like GS. It has a reliable V-twin and is suitable for 2up touring.

The NC750X is more of a full on commuter road bike that has a seriously smooth parallel twin and it runs on fumes. It is very comfortable for the rider only. You also get it in DCT version. But it's party trick is that it has a "boot". A cavity large enough for a helmet. I would easily buy a NC750X, fit a bashplate and taller screen and tour SA properly by only packing it's boot.

Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

The following users thanked this post: Tyre kicker

Offline Sabre

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2020, 10:28:32 am »

Honda NC750X

Isn't the NC750X the one with the very expensive air filter ?
I would check prices of normal maintenance components of all the bikes that you consider before you buy.
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2020, 01:14:55 pm »
KTM 950 for the win!  Best looking bike out there, carb reliability and going for decent prices.  I'm 173cm and ride it no worries.  Give them some thought!
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!