You meet the nicest people on a Honda

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorsland

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
This is probably the worst time in the recent history of the world to have bought a bike.  With much trepidation and buyer's remorse before I'd even bought it, and plenty of good advice from many guys here on the forum over the past month or two, I yesterday drove down to PE and took delivery of an Africa Twin DCT.  :biggrin:

So just some first impressions and a few pix after my 350km ride back on mostly tar yesterday.  For what it's worth, I write this with the greatest appreciation and knowledge of how blessed I am to be able to do this in a time when many are taking so much strain in an economy in the junkyard and a world in turmoil.

I bought the bike from [member=25192]Joel[/member] at Joel's Motorcycles, after being reassured by guys here that had dealt with him previously, and was not disappointed.  Joel is organised, the bike was as described, all paperwork, manual, service book, spare keys etc in order and presented in a neat folder along with 2 swanky key rings, the bike ready for my test ride.  I bought it with a few farkles already mounted (Honda taller screen, wider footpegs, bar raisers, headlight guard, centre stand, luggage plate, electric socket, Rumbucks crashbars and bashplate.). As promised, all the original items were neatly in a box for me.  I don't think a dealer has ever given me a full tank of petrol, Joel however, filled the AT up for me.

As you all know, rumours are flying around regarding roadblocks and regulations this, restrictions that, prohibited the other, curfew blahblahblah. After advice given by PE and other dawgs, I decided to load the bike on the bakkie and bring it home like that.  The ride down saw no roadblocks, police or SANDF of any nature so I decided to ride it back home, sans my riding boots and pants.  I had brought my helmet, gloves and jacket along for the test ride though.

A roadblock at Despatch where the road splits to go left to Graaff-Reinet and another near Glen Connor that was busy packing up when traveling back were both non-events.

[member=521]Operator[/member] also deserves a thumbs up as he arranged, on very short notice due to my oversight of arranging insurance timeously, all the paperwork, helped me while I was there to ascertain that all was good with the registration certificate and other paperwork and set me at ease.  Dankie Oppie, jy is 'n aanwins vir die versekeringbedryf waar daar baie onetiese mense is.  :thumleft:

Anyway, let's cut to the chase.

Seeing as a variation of this pic has already been tracked down and placed on the forum by our own sleuths, here is Joel's pic he took for his website. (I had received a copy of this pic from [member=8118]Knucklhead[/member] before I was even halfway home  :lol8:)

Attachments

• IMG-20200501-WA0042.jpg
    IMG-20200501-WA0042.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 382