KLR scrambler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neo_za

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
I want a srambler similiar to  W650, Bonnivale, or Desert sled but i am on a beer budget :biggrin:

In fact......i am on a 2007 KLR budget as that is what i have available to convert into a scrambler.

Before i get carried away and start the project, the question is whether it makes economic sense. In other words, can i build a KLR scrambler for substantially less than buying a factory built scrambler? My KLR is worth about R20k after i finish the engine rebuild (piston and head) whilst the cheapest factory scramblers i have seen for sale start at more than double that, so i have at least a R20k head start it seems.

The idea is not to try and match the quality components and performance of the Triumphs and Ducati's, but to just build a KLR scrambler, if you get my drift.

Below pics, shamelessly ripped from a for sale thread here on the forum, sort of illustrates what i am after. A lot of fabrication will be required to the subframe of the KLR, the addition of side mounted shocks, etc to get that proper scrambler look.

Am i nuts?

Attachments

• IMG_8211.JPG
    IMG_8211.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_8344.JPG
    IMG_8344.JPG
    454.4 KB · Views: 344