Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First ride after lockdown!!  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Scalpel

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
First ride after lockdown!!
« on: May 18, 2020, 03:04:06 pm »
With a candle at the end of the tunnel we might soon be allowed to ride our bikes again. Without any limitations. What will be the first ride you plan? Where will you be riding to? What will you be doing differently than in the past? Have ypu started planning yet?
BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!

Offline Saddle Up

Re: First ride after lockdown!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 03:32:47 pm »
What I would do differently than in the past?
I will make damn sure not to rush home after a trip
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 03:34:55 pm »
Maybe a quick weekender down into the Free State perhaps....

Just to get some miles in my helmet, you understand......

8)
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Scalpel

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »
16 June is a public holiday on a Tuesday! Wonder what level 3 will bring?

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 06:40:20 pm »
Iíve been for 1 or 2 tar rides already. I reckon this weekend Iím hitting some dirt for sure.

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:18:40 pm »
A slow cruise to Montagu, then ambling along over Ouberg pass onward towards Kruytfontein and Hondewater, return via Anysberg.........

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 07:54:04 am »
I think if exercise restrictions are lifted substantially, the motorcycle bodies in SA should be petitioning the government to allow leisure rides. I mean it is surely the only exercise most of us actually like.

If I am correct, a similar thing happened in the UK where motorcycle riding was included under exercise.

But when we can ride properly and stay out overnight, I plan to support as many of my favorite campsites as possible, especially those that are just campsites and have no farming activity. I keep in touch with a few, some are barely hanging in there and some have unfortunately thrown in the towel.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:26:53 am »
they need to open up riding sooner than later

im busy losing my mind  >:(
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Gee S

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 08:49:21 am »
If I can get 2 days off from work, I am going to Van Zylsrus  with a sleep over in Bray, one night  in Van Zyls and another sleep over in Bray.
If I can not get leave I will just go to Bray with a Saturday morning departure and then back home on the Sunday
All that wander are not lost

Offline Scalpel

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 09:19:55 am »
@sidetrack thread on riding South Africa has opened up a few areas I would love to go riding.  :ricky:

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 09:32:07 am »
I think if exercise restrictions are lifted substantially, the motorcycle bodies in SA should be petitioning the government to allow leisure rides. I mean it is surely the only exercise most of us actually like.

If I am correct, a similar thing happened in the UK where motorcycle riding was included under exercise.

But when we can ride properly and stay out overnight, I plan to support as many of my favorite campsites as possible, especially those that are just campsites and have no farming activity. I keep in touch with a few, some are barely hanging in there and some have unfortunately thrown in the towel.

I like the idea of the campsites, or farmers that can give us a place to stay. That's what makes the trip worthwhile.                           
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 10:43:30 am »

I like the idea of the campsites, or farmers that can give us a place to stay. That's what makes the trip worthwhile.                         

Indeed - and I just dig camping!

@Gee S  - do you perhaps have a route in mind? I wouldn't mind inviting myself along perhaps?

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline KarooKid

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 11:09:09 am »
I am going to the Karoo, and Loeriesfontein, and anywhere off the beaten track. Or anywhere where my scooter allows me to go.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 11:16:42 am »
I have always believed that if a good day on the bike did not end at some remote spot, with a chop on the fire and a good whiskey, there was little point to it.

It seems though that I may have to embrace "day rides" for the immediate future.

I have never been at home for this many weekends in my life, and now more than ever, I realize what a privilege it is to be able to be out there, to visit and explore places most folks will probably never visit in their lives, and especially to do it on a motorcycle. I will just never take this for granted again. I can't believe how much I am for instance missing the miles of nothing we call the Tankwa.   

Okay, truth be told I have run out of shit to make out of old pallets  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Online Dux

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 11:39:11 am »
I have always believed that if a good day on the bike did not end at some remote spot, with a chop on the fire and a good whiskey, there was little point to it.

It seems though that I may have to embrace "day rides" for the immediate future.

I have never been at home for this many weekends in my life, and now more than ever, I realize what a privilege it is to be able to be out there, to visit and explore places most folks will probably never visit in their lives, and especially to do it on a motorcycle. I will just never take this for granted again. I can't believe how much I am for instance missing the miles of nothing we call the Tankwa.   

Okay, truth be told I have run out of shit to make out of old pallets  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

True , I rode in the areas around Klapmuts /Wellington the other day , awesome to be blowing out the cobwebs again 👍🏻
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Online jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 11:40:26 am »
I've done a couple of legitimate local 'errands' and, silly me, happened to take a wrong turn and got lost necessitating a lengthy detour. That's because I'm not privileged to afford a
SatNav which I'm told often malfunction anyway. Despite this propensity to get lost I propose to find a legitimate reason to use each of my bikes at least once a week until the restrictions are gone.

It doesn't compare though to riding with  buddies and to this end plans are afoot to do a short tour, possibly in the Hogsback/Katberg vicinity as soon as it becomes possible.

Shit, I can't wait!  :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 11:41:49 am »
If the phased lockdown stays in place as is, inter provincial travel is a long way away. Other provinces still have great riding for long weekend trips but us GP'ers are stuffed. Can't even take the 90 minute ride out to Loskop Dam
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Noneking

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 11:46:55 am »
Did a few rides into the mountains during lockdown, but kept them short and fairly close to home. Will probably go camp on Mariepskop or visit Tonteldoos as soon as we reach appropriate lockdown level.

IN DUST I TRUST
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 12:02:19 pm »
If the phased lockdown stays in place as is, inter provincial travel is a long way away. Other provinces still have great riding for long weekend trips but us GP'ers are stuffed. Can't even take the 90 minute ride out to Loskop Dam

But we do know that there are numerous dirt roads/railway lines just on the edge of every suburb, add a little creative route planning....

Not that we/I would do that, obviously.....  >:D

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 12:12:21 pm »

But we do know that there are numerous dirt roads/railway lines just on the edge of every suburb, add a little creative route planning....

Not that we/I would do that, obviously.....  >:D

Yeah will do morning rides but [unnamed people] got into trouble the just outside Bapsfontein the other morning after riding the service roads
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:20:38 pm by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy