Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: what your motorcycle says about you  (Read 601 times)

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
what your motorcycle says about you
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:25:07 am »
my friend from oz sent me this interesting article of what your motorcycle says about you as an owner and what type of personality you have
written by journalist  Shana Zlotin

it certainly makes for a lot of sense ........see a lot of these fellas here  :pot:

:pot:

O0

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editorial/details/what-your-motorcycle-says-about-you-123930/

What your motorcycle says about you
A motorcycle can say a lot about its owner's personality...
For many motorcyclists, owning a bike is an expression of personal style and taste. Unlike many other forms of transport, a motorcycle can say a lot about you as a person.

Car ownership is often instigated by necessity, so it’s harder to justify that the 18-year-old driving his 1997 Toyota Camry hand-me-down is doing so out of love for the vehicle. But motorcycling often stems from passion, and a bike can been seen as an extension of its owner.

So what does your bike say about you?

From our industry experience and in-depth analysis (talking nonsense in the office mostly), we’ve looked at each category of motorcycle and figured out what the bike says about its owner.

Yes, we might be guilty of stereotyping, but we should all have a laugh at ourselves from time to time. If you take offense, then we’re guessing you own a sportsbike…

Sportsbikes

Sportsbike riders have one thing in mind – speed. Fueled by their bigger-than-life ego (and actual fuel), these youthful blokes fear little in life and seek the thrill of flying down an open road. A feeling of immortality runs through their veins. What Rossi does around the Island, these boys generally do in an 80km zone in the city. When making awkward eye contact with ‘Flashy McGee’ at the lights, it’s hard not to roll your eyes – especially when the light goes green and he blasts off out of view.

What your sports bike says about you: Buying a motorbike was a dream that you had for years. Maybe you were hindered by an old partner (if so, good riddance), or maybe you were waiting for the right moment (like getting your license). You knew that one day you’d own a bike and would ride faster than the wind. Unfortunately for you there are road rules and regulations for your safety. But who needs safety when you’re 25 and invincible, ay?*

*This is complete satire – please ride sensibly, for the love of god!

Tourers

When the hustle and bustle of your younger years has passed, it might be time to embrace the grey nomad lifestyle. Be it a trip through the Australian outback or a cruise across the USA, your tourer is the final puzzle-piece to your retirement plan. Unlike the hotheaded sports bikers, you are fully aware of your mortality and want to make the most of your remaining years.

What your tourer says about you: No amount of hip pain, no matter how severe, is going to stop you from taking life (and some handlebars) by the horns. Some retirees opt for a caravan, but the thrill seeker in you knows that life is short. Sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone to experience everything the world has to offer.

Cruisers

Cruisers are to tattoos and leather jackets like caravans are to seniors. If you aren’t sure what this might look like, watch an episode of Sons of Anarchy.

What your cruiser says about you: You don’t take anyone’s sh*t.

Adventure bikes

There are two types of adventure bike rider – those too old to break bones riding dirt bikes, and those who were inspired by Ewan and Charley’s Long Way Round trip, and thought it was a good idea to take up motorcycling in the midst of a mid-life crisis. Adventure bike riding is good for the soul and allows you to travel the roads less travelled.

What your adventure bike says about you: Life is one big adventure. Your goal is to ‘live life off the beaten track’ and explore the places most will never see. Alas, you’ll probably spend more time tinkering in the shed than actually riding.

Dirt bikes

When life gets you down, your dirt bike comes into play. You are already excited on Tuesday afternoon by the anticipation of your upcoming weekend ride in the bush. A few scratched up limbs mean you’re doing it right.

What your dirt bike says about you: The thrill of speed, being airborne and the excitement of missing a heartbeat drive you wild. Your adrenaline rush keeps you coming back for a ride through your local track or trail. Warning: dirt bikes and broken limbs are a package deal.

Scooters

A scooter can represent iconic Italian style and a taste for the finer things in life, but in 2020 it’s hard to associate them with anything other than UberEats or Deliveroo. Scooters are practical, easy to ride and very accessible. Many scooter owners have probably never previously ridden a motorcycle.

What your Scooter says about you: You’re a sensible and practical kind of person. The 9-5er who keeps a close eye on the cheapest fuel prices. You may also be living out your Italian fantasy, and might be in need of an intervention.

What bike should I buy?

The truth is, the best bike you can buy is one with two wheels. It doesn’t matter what type of bike you ride, what you wear, or what your helmet hair looks like – if the bike suits your needs and puts a smile on your face, then you’re already winning. Don’t listen to anyone else’s opinion (including bored bikesales journos).

Related Reading:
10 tips for buying a second-hand motorcycle
How to be a good pillion rider
How to ride a motorbike

Advice

Written By
Shana Zlotin
View all articles
mother ....only half a word ;-)

The following users thanked this post: GeelKameel

Offline Lem

Re: what your motorcycle says about you
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 09:39:41 am »
And then there is me...who struggle to fall or jump into any of the above mentioned boxes.

It's all about that sense of freedom for me. Every motorcycle for me has an epic road trip in them.

Put me on a superbike & I will do many dayrides as well as overnighters in my province.
Put me on any big tourer or cruiser and I will ride every province in SA.
Put me on a big GS and I might ride the odd dirt road in every province in SA
Put me on a Vespa or a Yamaha BWS and I'll be on my way to Oasis
Put me on a TTR250 or any 450 enduro bike with lights & number plate & I'll be going side entry into Baviaans, Ben10 etc.

And all of these bikes I will also run to Franschoek, Kleinmond, Eden on Big Bay & Camps Bay for the odd freshly baked Croissant & freshly brewed Cappuchino.   :thumleft:

Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:41:58 am »
Like many of us,, I think, I've worked myself through the categories over the years. I'm now a tourer, having added a dimension with the sidecar.

The missing category is the vintage bike, like my CB400 twin... just because its nice to have one, and makes you relive those yester years..
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Dux

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 09:51:55 am »
I can relate to the dirt bike part about broken bones
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 10:30:43 am »
Nou verstaan em beter, fiets is soos ek, oud en vol merke, van regtig lewe. Besit darem ook 'n mooi blink Cruiser, fiets sonder merke en ek sonder ink skilderye op my lyf.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:14:59 am »
I must have been doing it wrong, I started very young racing dirt side car, then moved to moto x, then to enduro, stopped racing at age 57 and started adventure/dual, no broken bones during all this time, also had various road bikes during all this time, quite a few accidents but never broke a bone.
Is that luck or skill? Probably luck. :-\
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Dux

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:31:55 am »
I must have been doing it wrong, I started very young racing dirt side car, then moved to moto x, then to enduro, stopped racing at age 57 and started adventure/dual, no broken bones during all this time, also had various road bikes during all this time, quite a few accidents but never broke a bone.
Is that luck or skill? Probably luck. :-\

I was dirt bikes , then national service injury sidelined that , gravitated to road bikes , started circuit racing , got tired of that so stopped and started doing enduro , broke both feet at different times while riding dirt bikes , second time I hit a dog while taking the bike around the block to dry after washing it .
But during all the time I have always ridden on the road as well as adventure rides , but I still prefer enduro type riding and lately the circuit racing has been beckoning as well .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 11:32:35 am »
Is that luck or skill?

Must be both Odd Dog and lots of it. :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 12:11:11 pm »
For the first 35 or so years of my riding I bought, or built, bikes that I felt were representative of the type of rider that I thought I was. And maybe I was, partially at least. 8)

For the 25 years since then I've tended more to buy bikes because they were there, and within my means.  :biggrin:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

The following users thanked this post: Lem

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 12:30:51 pm »
Like many of us,, I think, I've worked myself through the categories over the years. I'm now a tourer, having added a dimension with the sidecar.

The missing category is the vintage bike, like my CB400 twin... just because its nice to have one, and makes you relive those yester years..

can relate to this comment ie worked through all the phases over the years

"Warning: dirt bikes and broken limbs are a package deal."  this really is true and probably why i dont do plastic bikes no more

there is a time when you think of yourself as bullet proof.......then true to form  "you are fully aware of your mortality and want to make the most of your remaining years."

i find as ive got older ive become more responsible and slower for sure

hahahah
guess thats why i now ride harleys and a GS   :ricky:
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Buffel B

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW R1200 GSA LC
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 06:51:03 pm »
Great !!!
Volg die Renoster-metode : "Kop-af en beur-vorentoe"

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 07:47:55 pm »
Rossi never raced at the Island, unless they mean Philip Island. >:D

Offline Lem

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 09:19:32 pm »

Yep, dis 'n Aussie rubriek. So die wereld begin en eindig daar.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 09:54:46 pm »

Yep, dis 'n Aussie rubriek. So die wereld begin en eindig daar.

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 10:01:41 pm »
So an rsv 1000 and  a 46 16h Norton isn’t fitting in anywhere soon. Categories are artificial.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 10:08:05 pm »
So an rsv 1000 and  a 46 16h Norton isn’t fitting in anywhere soon. Categories are artificial.

Except the Zimmerframe GS category, that one's bone-chillingly real. :ricky: :pot:

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 11:00:42 pm »
Jealousy does make one nasty.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 11:25:35 pm »
I once again understand why my mate says that I am otherwise!
Started riding on mates XR500 back in ‘82, had a lot of different bikes through the years and rode them all where I wanted to!
Eg. RD400 that I used for commuting, doing crazy speeds on tar and exploring the forestry roads around Sabie. :peepwall:
I now have a Dakar and SR500 in the garage!
So I really do not know what my bike says about me!
I know what my wife says about my bikes! But who wants to grow up and behave like a grandfather?
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 08:20:34 am »
Jealousy does make one nasty.

If I were jealous, I would not have complimented the GS by comparing them with Zimmerframes.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 08:34:11 am »
My motorcycles and I have an agreement. I say nothing about them and they say nothing about me.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?