Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Hemel in Memel  (Read 1128 times)

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Hemel in Memel
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:49:51 am »
Lyndhurst organised an offroad weekend for 18 - 20 August in Memel. Aptly named "Hemel in Memel".
What follows is a recollection of a fantastic weekend of DS riding thanks to a collection of pics from all the riders that were there.

The group was made up of 16 bikes (1 very mean KTM, 3 real Adventures, 2 new adventures, 1 650 with lady rider! and the rest 1200's). Ironically it was the KTM showing the way for the beemers (local knowledge)!!

Friday afternoon the group gathered at Lyndhurst for a mix bag ride down to Memel in the heart of the Eastern Freestate.
Along the route:

Only in a small town:

Memel really is small, the mandatory church,

bottel stores, petrol station, hotel and butcher. We stayed at the very vibey Cliffdale hotel!

Late Friday night, the local talent pulled in for the caberet and provide an interesting break in the drinking session for about 20 minutes, then promptly left!

After a couple of hours sleep, it was saturday morning and time to ride. Outside the hotel it looked like a bmw showroom

Out of town and straight onto the gravel for a route that would would take us down an awesome pass and then back up another. The pictures and thoughts don't do the area any justice. There is nothing like riding in an area that has such great views! Unlike most of the recent posts on this forum, the Freestate has a different beauty to it, even though it lacks some colour.

Saturday lunch was in a small spot called Verkykerskop. Here a young couple have turned a rather dull corner of the freestate into a very interesting stop with part of the shop their actual house for the time being.

They put on a awesome spread for lunch for the group.

We were then joined by the local butcher on his 1200GS for the afternoon ride which took us through more passes and awesome country side

with a puncture along the way

and a couple of water crossings

KalahariBen having fun!

and then the ride back to Memel with the sun setting behind us.

So back to the bar in the dorpie where all the pics for the day were displayed on a big screen for a bit of refelction of the days riding and to prove to the others that Memel really does come to life after dark!.

Sunday morning we packed up and got ready for the ride home. First the wheelies in the main drag while the locals go to church.

For those eager to get home, they hit the tar roads and the quickest route. For the rest we did some very intersteing dirt roads to bring us to the railway tunnels.

After some obstacles to get to the tunnels, we passed through the old tunnel which is approx. 400m long and seriously dark and damp inside.

We continued along the railway service line road through the bush,

back to the tar road. Up the twistys to the closest town to start our way home.
Unfortunately, we had a man down due to some oil on the road. Fortunately the rider was OK and with some fantastic team work, both rider and bike were back on the road. ATGATT!!!!!!

At the last stop, the mood was good, everyone had had a good time and it was time to head on home.

Thanks to all that participated, what a group to ride with. Almost like a mini GS challenge without bike restrictions.

Cheers!!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline CrazyPorra

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:59:07 am »
quote!!! The group was made up of 16 bikes (1 very mean KTM, 3 real Adventures, 2 new adventures, 1 650 with lady rider! and the rest 1200's). Ironically it was the KTM showing the way for the beemers (local knowledge)!!

I bet he forgot to mention that before he bought a KTM he rode a bad ass BMW 1100 GS :lol:

But yeah, that is a great area to get lost in.

Offline IanJ

Great trip
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 11:17:03 am »
looking forward to more like it.
Thanks for the great pics :lol:
an Jarman

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 11:35:45 am »
awesome trip! now i need to get there...

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 11:37:16 am »
Looks like a stunning weekend! Yhanks for sharing.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 02:21:54 pm »
Thanks for the super report and stunning pics. Does it ever rain in the Freestate? :lol:

Online Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »
Fantastic, Some super scenery and nice pic's. Who is the chap with the blue Motorrad riding jacket. I see his missus stands with him. Good practice that!
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline X Banana Boy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 04:54:21 pm »
Lekker, pics and report.  That plate of food with the wors and pap made me drool.  Eish it is almost lunch time here.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 06:23:29 pm »
NICE report greate read and nice PICS

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Hemel in Memel
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 08:06:01 pm »
I know "Verskeerskop" or whatever about a year ago, my boss was overseas, he had suggested I use his E class Merc to go to a meetin in Newcastle.
Somehow, I missed the Vrede tournoff.
So almost in Van Reenens turned left to "Verskeerskop" the road was "interesting". The Merc had several visits to the Dealer afterwards, funny things like the Lamda sensor etc in the exhaust was not working any more?

Welsh  :D
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.