Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rade tank cleanout  (Read 565 times)

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Rade tank cleanout
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:21:35 am »
Hey guys I'm updating my setup on the 690 for desert riding, previously I used pioneer plastic 5l cans on a toys to go rack for my extra fuel but that means my luggage has to sit up high behind me and water needs to be carried in a backpack which isn't ideal. So I got myself a rade underseat tank for fuel which allowed me to use one side of my rack for water so it's no longer on my back which works well but now I have scored a set of rally raid evo 1 front tanks so I dont need the plastic cans anymore and can fit soft luggage on the racks and keep the weight low (and not struggle to swing my short legs over the seat Haha) now my question is do you guys recon it will be possible to clean the rade tank well enough to be able to store water in there? Has anyone tried that before? And lastly can anyone see any problems with this setup that I may be missing and maybe suggest some budget friendly soft panniers that fit the toys to go rack

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Rade tank cleanout
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 09:41:35 am »
Hi Geo, obviously we can assist you with affordable (and appropriate-sized) panniers, just swing by the Store - we are open - and we will show you 4 or 5 options...

Regarding the tank, my suggestions as follows:
1. Will not myself recommend storing water in a tank previously used for fuel...
2. Customer on here poss. Looking for a RADE underseat tank...
3. You could sell it and fit the cubby hole in its place - retaining the RADE air box, etc, and then simply lie a water bladder/ camel back inside the cubby, then simply take the bladder to the tap or water source, etc.
Husky shown here, but we stock for KTM, price shown is WITH air filter, obviously you need JUST the ‘cubby’, will forward price tomorrow.

https://flyingbrick.co.za/product/rade-garage-under-seat-storage-kit/

I DO think tricky getting water TO the fuel tank, in remote places, the bladder is a much better option, and of course would not put water ina previously-fuel-containing tank.

Cheers
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Mayhem

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Do it in the dirt
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:56:00 am »
I don't think water in a fuel tank will be a problem as long as the tank is new and not had fuel in it. The only problem with water in your under seat tank might be heat, I'm sure it gets fairly warm under there.

Sent from my NEO-L29 using Tapatalk

BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 11:38:03 am »
Hi Geo, obviously we can assist you with affordable (and appropriate-sized) panniers, just swing by the Store - we are open - and we will show you 4 or 5 options...

Regarding the tank, my suggestions as follows:
1. Will not myself recommend storing water in a tank previously used for fuel...
2. Customer on here poss. Looking for a RADE underseat tank...
3. You could sell it and fit the cubby hole in its place - retaining the RADE air box, etc, and then simply lie a water bladder/ camel back inside the cubby, then simply take the bladder to the tap or water source, etc.
Husky shown here, but we stock for KTM, price shown is WITH air filter, obviously you need JUST the ‘cubby’, will forward price tomorrow.

https://flyingbrick.co.za/product/rade-garage-under-seat-storage-kit/

I DO think tricky getting water TO the fuel tank, in remote places, the bladder is a much better option, and of course would not put water ina previously-fuel-containing tank.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris I knew you guys would have the goodies I needed I'll deff be stopping by the shop for the panniers but I'm thinking I'd like to keep the tank system as it's a full 6l which would require at least 2 bladders  maybe I'll offer a R1000 discount to anyone buying a new rade tank if they will swap my tank for an unused one

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 11:40:55 am »
I don't think water in a fuel tank will be a problem as long as the tank is new and not had fuel in it. The only problem with water in your under seat tank might be heat, I'm sure it gets fairly warm under there.

Unfortunately my tank has had juice in already so I think I may need to either source a new one or make another plan.

The water will be used for coffee and emergencies so the temperature isn't really a factor

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 11:48:13 am »
If you could remove the tank, which is a mission, and simply let it sit in the sun for a week, it'll come out bone-dry.

Perhaps then rinse it with a Bicarbonate of soda/water mix, and it should be OK.

For coffee and emergencies, temperature won't make a difference, but aftertaste may.

Although water taste becomes irrelevant if you use Raadsaal or Ricoffy. O0

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 12:53:16 pm »
It's really not an issue to remove the tank and I think I'll have a crack at cleaning it out before I make another plan but I'm worried the petrol would have permeated the plastic and unleaded coffee is going to be a bit of a problem for me

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 01:47:57 pm »
If u want to be double sure, full the old petrol tank with activated carbon.

That will assist with absorbing smells..after u have rinsed and runsed and rinsed..
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 02:03:47 pm »
If u want to be double sure, full the old petrol tank with activated carbon.

That will assist with absorbing smells..after u have rinsed and runsed and rinsed..

That's a great idea once it's been cleaned and rinsed a few times I'll do.a couple of carbon cycles and re assess

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 02:15:06 pm »
If you could remove the tank, which is a mission, and simply let it sit in the sun for a week, it'll come out bone-dry.

Perhaps then rinse it with a Bicarbonate of soda/water mix, and it should be OK.

For coffee and emergencies, temperature won't make a difference, but aftertaste may.

Just contract Covert-19 and then you won't know if it smells or tastes bad  :peepwall:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 08:03:00 am »

One word....Peter.   :deal:

After trying all tricks, bladder is still used for fuel, not water.

The "Raadsaal" is a good tip though, but some might prefer the petrol taste, being petrol heads an' all.  :imaposer:
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 09:44:38 pm »

One word....Peter.   :deal:

After trying all tricks, bladder is still used for fuel, not water.

The "Raadsaal" is a good tip though, but some might prefer the petrol taste, being petrol heads an' all.  :imaposer:

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 11:35:05 am »
The "Raadsaal" is a good tip though

OK, Newbie here, just landed in SA (stowaway on an illegal tobacco flight aboard a Hercules) hence have zero idea what 'Raadsaal koffie' is.
Mind you, long enough here to know what Ricoffy or other awful chicory brews are though.
Never had such shite when leaning back at Beserker's pozzie, and expect same if ever I'll do same at Dan's place!
Wat is Raadsaal manne?  ???
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 08:40:45 pm »
Honestly I'm not sure myself no doubt it comes in a can and is only remotely drinkable if mixed 50% with condensed milk personally I carry an aeropress with a tin mug(which is also my bowel) and a kg of coloumbias (2nd) finest for my brew I mean we are bikers not Neanderthals

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 08:21:01 am »
Honestly I'm not sure myself no doubt it comes in a can and is only remotely drinkable if mixed 50% with condensed milk personally I carry an aeropress with a tin mug(which is also my bowel) and a kg of coloumbias (2nd) finest for my brew I mean we are bikers not Neanderthals

You have a tin mug bowel???  :o :o ???
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline geopat

• Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 12:26:12 pm »

You have a tin mug bowel???  :o :o ???

Hahahahaha I knew that was wrong as I was typing it but my damn phone insisted  :imaposer: