Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha Tenere 1200 - to buy or not to buy  (Read 388 times)

Offline Pole_Position

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • live to ride. ride to live.
Yamaha Tenere 1200 - to buy or not to buy
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:55:23 pm »
more manne en dames (as daar is),
first post to the forum. here we go.....

got my first bike Nov.2018.
Honda nc750x dct. I commute 80 clicks a day and while the bike is fuel economical and great through traffic I'm now looking to expand my horizons.
I'd also like to get swambo on as pillion for outrides on weekends and the NC is not going to cut it.
I'm 195cm tall, 90kg already so the NC is a bit on the short side.

now the question is.
I've got my eye on the Yamaha Tenere 2011-2013 models.  all round the R80-R100k mark.
anyone with experience on this bike?
running costs? parts availability? commuting?
anything I should look out for when buying a used Tenere?
is it wise to buy a bike that will be 10 years old in a year or two time?

looking forward to your comments, and also looking forward to making new friends.
I live on the West Rand. so Sasol garage Sundays are always an option.
sha-na-na
too weird to live, too rare to die.
live to ride. ride to live.
ain't no party like a gangsta paaaarty.
dilligaf
2017-2020 Honda nc750x dct 25000kms done

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Yamaha Tenere 1200 - to buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:53 pm »
No issue with buying a used one that's been maintained with fluid n filter changes.

One of the most reliable bikes money can buy with a shaft drive system that BMW wishes they could build.

I''ve seen them with 200k-250k kilometers here with the factory final drive, a BMW would've likely needed 2 replacements in that amount of mileage.

Very simple oil change, the oil filter cartridge is on the front of the motor behind the headers. Valve inspections have a lengthy interval and they don't move that much, making them pretty much unnecessary. 

The Tenere is the exact opposite of BMW or KTM ownership, you simply ride the bike, change fluid n filters, without a care or worry in the world.

If Swambo rides with you often, you'll want an Ohlins shock on the rear.

The only downsides are: they are heavy and feel heavy, some big engined twins hide their weight better, e.g. GS, GSA, 1290SAR, 1090R, iirc, the front forks are only adjustable for compression and preload, some consider the engine to feel a little boring, as in, not quick revving. 
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 03:25:21 am »
PM sent with lead of a Super Tenere.

Welcome to the Forum!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline gee

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 07:25:12 am »
I agree with (big oil) that most bikes are good as long as they get serviced. I have not owned a Tenere 1200 but have ridden them a few times and i find
they are a bit top heavy. I have a old timer friend who has owned about 30 bikes in his life time from ktm,bmw, tenere and even harleys and he will out ride a lot of younger
riders on off-road. He has just sold his tenere and gone back to 2010 bmw 1200 because as he said if he needs any spares he doesn't  have to wait 2-3 weeks from yamaha, he gets them off the self for the bmw.
I am restoring a 1975 bmw 75/5 and i have been able to get all the spares of the shelf. I have a yamaha xt660z need spokes had to wait 2 weeks but for the bmw 75/5 got the spokes same day. You can get a nice bmw 1200
in your price range or if budget is tight look at a 1150 or 1100 gs you can pic them up from 35-55k. I always say BMW doesn't do anything exceptional but does everything good overall. The best still is test a few bikes and choose the one that rocks your buns.

Offline gee

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:15 am »
I see your in gauteng if you would like to pop in you can ride a 1100 gs , 1200 gt, xt660z and a 1200 lc adv back to back just to get a comparison with the tenere. Just remember none of them are for sale ever

Offline corne.l

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Say what?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 07:38:05 am »
Looking at the Profile Pic, for a moment I thought @LuckyStriker  is looking for a new ride.

I owned one, I sold it because I am looking at migrating. If it was not for that ... it would still have been parked (becuase i can't go riding during COVID lock down) in my garage   :P

Not sure if it is really a option for commuting ... i did it, but lane splitting in the inner city becomes interesting :D

Other than that, cost wise to me it is a question of how long is a piece of string, what is your benchmark when looking to say it is expensive or not.
Not a lot breaks, so in terms of running costs ... its fuel  efficient (and it is quite economic for a battle tanker), then the earlier ones do have a tendency to use some headlamps.
oil, oil filter and you set to go.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy all the quips and banter   :thumleft:
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline BLK

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 07:48:13 am »
I ride plenty with a guy who has a 2010 S10(I have a 1250).Solid as a rock and has a private guy service his bike.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 08:03:18 am »
I agree with (big oil) that most bikes are good as long as they get serviced. I have not owned a Tenere 1200 but have ridden them a few times and i find
they are a bit top heavy. I have a old timer friend who has owned about 30 bikes in his life time from ktm,bmw, tenere and even harleys and he will out ride a lot of younger
riders on off-road. He has just sold his tenere and gone back to 2010 bmw 1200 because as he said if he needs any spares he doesn't  have to wait 2-3 weeks from yamaha, he gets them off the self for the bmw.
I am restoring a 1975 bmw 75/5 and i have been able to get all the spares of the shelf. I have a yamaha xt660z need spokes had to wait 2 weeks but for the bmw 75/5 got the spokes same day. You can get a nice bmw 1200
in your price range or if budget is tight look at a 1150 or 1100 gs you can pic them up from 35-55k. I always say BMW doesn't do anything exceptional but does everything good overall. The best still is test a few bikes and choose the one that rocks your buns.

I think it follows logic that the more spares a brand needs replacing, the more readily available those spares will be.

I have a few friends on Super Tenere's, and while I do not like the feel of the bike, and the fan is too vulnerable, they last and last and last, really exceptionally reliable.

In fact they are a continuation of what "Performance Bikes" called MONOTONOUSLY RELIABLE in their classic bike test on the Yamaha XS1100. :thumleft: :ricky:

Offline Pole_Position

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 09:43:18 pm »
thanks gents for all the welcomes and the advice.

test rode a Honda vfr1200x crosstourer as well as Yamaha super tenere today.
sleep on it tonight and tomorrow is decision time....

will keep you posted.
dilligaf

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 11:19:07 pm »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Donaldbr

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha XT600, Yamaha WR250F
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 04:56:41 am »
I have the st, since 2011.

Reliability, I believe, is untouched by any other bike. I have done 75k, and only item ever failed on me was a headlight bulb.

Done Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Lesotho and a lot of south africa.

Yes, heavy, but that's 1200 category, you get used to it. Long distance comfort is great, have done 1280km in one day. (still went on a game drive at augrabies after)

Commuting as mentioned, will be no where as nimble as the NC.

Pillion is excellent, and pillion seat is slightly raised.

You cannot go wrong, but you need to bond with any bike.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Pole_Position

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 06:11:00 pm »
after plenty of searching and lots of test riding (not complaining) I finally pulled the trigger and got what I think is probably the neatest, low mileage, plenty extras of a super tenere.

now, are there any groups, clubs, packs of adventure riders on the West Rand of Gauteng? or any guys come out this way at sasol garage on N14 / Hendrik Potgieter corner that meet up?
dilligaf

Offline Donaldbr

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha XT600, Yamaha WR250F
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 09:18:52 pm »
Congrats, no doubt many happy kms on your path

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline petri oosthuizen

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 10:55:18 pm »
Wow, seems as if these ST 1200's are really fuss free bikes - I only really started looking at them a couple weeks back, and almost ALL owners are uber happy with theirs!!
1150 GSA
XT 600 Tenere