Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Central Java, Indonesia 3 day ride (30 May - 1 June 2020)  (Read 306 times)

Offline tifua

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Central Java, Indonesia 3 day ride (30 May - 1 June 2020)
« on: June 02, 2020, 04:53:00 am »
We have varying states of "lock down" here with each province deciding how to implement it and how strictly. For most part its soft lock down meaning masks, limited movement between provinces, social distancing, limited operations on some business such as malls and restaurants. I enjoy my weekend rides to explore Central Java and wanted to use a public holiday here on the 1st of June to travel a little further and see 3 towns I had not seen yet (Pekolongan, Purwokerto and Cilacap). The last town was to see old Dutch fort left over from when Indonesia was a Dutch colony. My route planning on all these trips is to stay off main roads and use the back roads and where possible to find more remote scenic routes. I wont go into too much details and prefer to let pics do the talking. Weapon of choice is 155cc Yamaha Aerox. Big bikes useless here and some of the route I did on this trip are best left to plastics but she never missed a beat. Plenty of parts available, light on fuel, every town has mechanics... and you blend in more especially in more remote locations.

Pics with brief description and the map of the route to follow. Total distance 818 km, minimum elevation 1m, maximum elevation 1915m.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:25:18 am by tifua »
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Re: Central Java, Indonesia 3 day ride (30 May - 1 June 2020)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 06:42:44 am »
Day 1: Woke up 4am, hit the road at 5:30am as sun was rising. Would use main road for first 30 min then get into the more remote back roads. Everything is green and beautiful and roads were not very busy so progress was good. Found 2 dead end roads forcing a ride back and one or two roads closed for Covid 19. Last hour to hotel was in rain but its warm rain so not issue. Checked into hotel, got dinner, hot shower and hit the sack.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:44:50 am by tifua »
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 06:49:55 am »
Day 1 pics continued

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 06:54:27 am »
more of day 1. Have to use multiple posts to get the pics because of file size limits

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 06:55:19 am »
Like your planning ethos. See you are just about on the equator there.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 06:57:46 am »
more

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 07:04:31 am »
last of day 1

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:35:42 am »
Wow that looks very pretty, must be properly hot and humid!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 08:09:49 am »
We have varying states of "lock down" here with each province deciding how to implement it and how strictly. For most part its soft lock down meaning masks, limited movement between provinces, social distancing, limited operations on some business such as malls and restaurants. I enjoy my weekend rides to explore Central Java and wanted to use a public holiday here on the 1st of June to travel a little further and see 3 towns I had not seen yet (Pekolongan, Purwokerto and Cilacap). The last town was to see old Dutch fort left over from when Indonesia was a Dutch colony. My route planning on all these trips is to stay off main roads and use the back roads and where possible to find more remote scenic routes. I wont go into too much details and prefer to let pics do the talking. Weapon of choice is 155cc Yamaha Aerox. Big bikes useless here and some of the route I did on this trip are best left to plastics but she never missed a beat. Plenty of parts available, light on fuel, every town has mechanics... and you blend in more especially in more remote locations.

Pics with brief description and the map of the route to follow. Total distance 818 km, minimum elevation 1m, maximum elevation 1915m.

Awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  Was in Bali 2018 and looks very similar.  Lekker hot and humit.  Shorts, T-shirt & slops all day :ricky:  Waiting for Day 2
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
Current: WR 450F & KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 08:43:14 am »

Awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  Was in Bali 2018 and looks very similar.  Lekker hot and humit.  Shorts, T-shirt & slops all day :ricky:  Waiting for Day 2

thats how I ride, even when it rains, just shirt, shorts and slops :-). vey hot lower down but in the mountains lovely and cool

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 09:38:33 am »
Day 2: Had a good breakfast and would push onto Purwokerto today. Filled up, left main road and then heading towards mountains. Found a detour I wanted to follow which got progressively worse until it became a hiking trail but I didnt feel like turning back. Came across two hikers that apart from telling me that I was nuts, the road is not closed and if I push on I will eventually get to a road. In rough English he said "wrong bike wrong tires wrong way". Marked on GPS as hell :-) because some parts I had to walk my little machine with its Pirelli street tires through mud and slippery stones up and up. Go to the road after about hour and what a beautiful ride down that eventually.Some more offroad sections through foggy mountain plantation roads and passed through a valley that was the most beautiful road I have ever ridden. Deep valley with rushing river on the side of volcanoes. Scenery always has something more beautiful around the next corner. Always something to see and being Asia everything is bike friendly. Arrived in Purwokerto, showered, went out for dinner then got caught in rain again on the walk back to hotel. Hotel was nice, well priced and shower was piping hot which was welcome after long day of riding. 

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 09:41:58 am »
day 2 continued

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 09:44:44 am »
Day 2 continued

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 09:45:00 am »
Wow, amazing. Let us have coffee again when you are back in SA.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 09:52:32 am »
Day 2 continued

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 09:56:19 am »
Day 2 continued

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 09:58:07 am »
Wow, amazing. Let us have coffee again when you are back in SA.

will be good to catch up

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 10:26:46 am »
Day 3: started with spicy breakfast. Would stick to main roads for most of the day because I still wanted to get to Cilacap and then back to my hotel where I started. Main roads would be a quick way to make up time on the way back but I would go take scenic back roads into Wonosobo as well as near Dieng with its huge mountains. Fort was run down and not well kept. Combination of lack of interest and no visitors since Corona. After leaving there I followed the coastal road and that is where my elevation was only 1 met and that was a raised road... the lands were flood as were peoples houses. Pushed along the coast before heading inland to see another fort but this one was completely closed to the public so I took back roads into Wonosobo. Found a great little coffee shop, had late lunch then did the hard push back home. Some cold air as I crossed the high mountains near Dieng with fog and a long fast down hill. Some forest roads and then jumped onto a main road for the last hour into Semarang in dark with a city coming alive as the official lock down ended 1 June.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 10:30:30 am »
Day 3 continued

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 10:33:36 am »
Day 3 continued