Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Varedero vs Dl 1000?  (Read 685 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Varedero vs Dl 1000?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 10:51:22 am »
Both are similar type soft roaders.... both well built and both strong bikes...capable as the GS s are basically.

I moved from an early model 1000 VStrom to a 2008 1200GS.
The GS is a lot more capable offroad, above statement is not correct. Its also faster and more comfortable. And more expensive. apples and oranges
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 10:58:04 am »
Like Molten says, and you get GS's for early R50k nowadays
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 11:07:41 am »
Both are similar type soft roaders.... both well built and both strong bikes...capable as the GS s are basically.

The GS is a lot more capable offroad, above statement is not correct. Its also faster and more comfortable. And more expensive. apples and oranges

The top speeds of the 2 are very similar, within 5 km of each other. Considering the Vstrom was launched as a competitor to the 1150 it was certainly on par in all aspects even being 150 cc down on capacity.  its relatively light weight was also a bonus.

I have ridden GSs in all terrain and never felt they were superior off road to the Strom, but then we are talking dirt highways and the like, never taken either to real gnarley terrain cept sand in moz..both were a nightmare.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2020, 12:21:21 pm »

The top speeds of the 2 are very similar, within 5 km of each other. Considering the Vstrom was launched as a competitor to the 1150 it was certainly on par in all aspects even being 150 cc down on capacity.  its relatively light weight was also a bonus.

I have ridden GSs in all terrain and never felt they were superior off road to the Strom, but then we are talking dirt highways and the like, never taken either to real gnarley terrain cept sand in moz..both were a nightmare.

My 2008 suspension was a lot better, the GS is stiffer sprung and can also carry a pillion in rough terrain. The GS also carries its weight a lot lower and its got more ground clearance.
Tyre choice changes your top speed by 20kmph, so I did not refer to that when mentioning the GS as faster (I feel its useless, at 200kmph even an E07 rips apart), I was referring to a good old dice, not top end run. And we did repeat it a few times, it was no contest.

Its like comparing a Fortuner to a Rav4. A high spec Fortuner vs low spec Rav4 at that. Both can do gravel yes....
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 12:29:14 pm »

My 2008 suspension was a lot better, the GS is stiffer sprung and can also carry a pillion in rough terrain. The GS also carries its weight a lot lower and its got more ground clearance.
Tyre choice changes your top speed by 20kmph, so I did not refer to that when mentioning the GS as faster (I feel its useless, at 200kmph even an E07 rips apart), I was referring to a good old dice, not top end run. And we did repeat it a few times, it was no contest.

Its like comparing a Fortuner to a Rav4. A high spec Fortuner vs low spec Rav4 at that. Both can do gravel yes....

But of course the Fortuner has a penchant for rolling around a bit hey.

My point is not to argue here, when i bought my strom in 2002 i thought it was a better adv bike than the GS1150 hence i bought it. the price points were very similar back then. Having ridden the GS12 when it came out i felt no reason to sell the strom to buy a GS12 as to me they felt fairly similar. LAter version of the GS 12 and 1250 are probably vastly superior to the initial stroms but the price points began to widen quite considerably and thats because of the development of the GS range and less so for the DL range.

If it was my money and all things being equal i would take a strom over a GS of similar vintage for the riding i do.  in my opinion its just as capable as a GS and i never felt out of my depth due to the bike in the company of GSs
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:30:21 pm by IceCreamMan »
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Tony the Boney

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 01:23:06 pm »
I have the 2005 Varadero, great all purpose bike but yes, heavy because so well built and nothing goes wrong with them ... but up Sani with 130kg - plus - plus? ... no thanks. 
However, nice one for sale on the 4Sale thread for the other 99.9% of SA.

I took my carb model Vara up Sani Pass. Take my advice, don't do it.
Lovely bike but bliksem, she's ungainly up Sani
The older I get, the earlier it gets late