Central Java, Indonesia 3 day ride (6 - 8 June 2020) - The next ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifua

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Decided to take day off and have a 3 day weekend to go ride some more and explore the eastern and southern part of central Java. Quick summary of trip below and then the pics to follow.

Day 1: early start heading towards Mt. Lawu with the planned route taking me into East Java and along the coast line. Mt. Lawu is very popular for breakfast runs and the cool mountain air and misty hills was beautiful but when I got to the top of the hill I was stopped at police roadblock. They were enforcing the rule about going between provinces. They were very friendly and I was not going to push my luck so turned around and headed back down. Stopped at a roadside cafe for nice meal of spicy rice, chicken and fried egg while I took out the phone and tried to figure out a new route that would let me explore but keep me in Central Java. Headed back down the same way I came up the hill but after 10 min turned off and headed down another road. Followed some small secondary roads into the side of the hills through small villages in mountain valleys with rice terraces and people going about their lives. Spend the day exploring these small back roads before jumping on a main road and heading towards Waduk Gadjah Mungkur lake (sort of like Hartees). Followed the road around it and then took main road towards the city of Solo to check into the hotel I had booked. Arrived tired into a hotel that was definitely what was advertised and staff could not find my booking and after 20 min of back and forth I decided to find another hotel. Booked myself into another and on arrival there was told it is closed because of Corona but I had received an upgrade to a much nicer hotel for the same price. Headed to the new hotel and wow what a place. Part hotel part gallery showing off Indonesian artefacts. Had a quite dinner and and nice walk along main road back to the hotel before taking a relaxing hot bath before calling it a night. 

Day 2: Woke up early checked out after revised my day route and started the first 2 hours on main road to get down to the coastal road where the fun would begin. A little backroad or two and then started heading towards the coast. Decided to follow a footpath off a side road heading down a mountain towards a beach but it got progressively worse and worse until it was too steep to get down safely and a long drop down the side of a cliff. Decided after hour that it was getting far too bad for a little scooter and if I went to far I may not be able to get back or our in time. Still had 7 hours of my route to ride so back tracked and took a quick ride into the town and walked on the beach. Black volcanic sand and people allowed to ride 4x4 and bikes on the beach. Got back on the road and had 1.5 hr of fast beautiful sweeping roads before I turned off main road and headed down to another coastal town. Stopped at a Corona check point I was turned around and so carried on riding back up the hill away from the coast. Turning right I found another road heading along the coastline into an area known as Genung Kidul where volcanic rock is used for all the building. km after km of rock terraces, rock foundations, rock walls, rock lined roads. Hard to imagine how many people had to build all this. Everywhere, everything is built with this stone. Following a small road south I found a little hidden beach with a few locals. Beautiful white sand and warm water I sat for a while just relaxing. Was my birthday and it was a special place to relax and take in the view. Heading back out and inland I lost signal so I had to figure my way out through maze of criss-crossing roads with the gates starting to close at 5pm for Corona control. Each village responsible for its own health and security against corona coming in and once the gate is closed you are locked in or locked out for the night. Managed to get back on the main roads and headed back towards Solo as fast as I could with sun setting and rain building. Last hour spent riding in the dark and rain before arriving at hotel. Nice hotel shower, some KFC and big comfortable bed. Same scenario with hotel in that the budget hotel I booked was closed so I got free upgrade to the better one.

Day 3: Slept in a bit before heading back to my town. Took back roads through the rubber plantations where rubber trees are still "milked" the traditional way. Some local villages, rice terraces, corn fields, more plantations of rubber trees before jumping on the highway for the last 1.5 hours back home. Pics will follow shortly, just need to reduce the size and upload 

Attachments

• 20200607_155916.jpg
    20200607_155916.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 186