85 Tenere 600 XT Carb issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 600 Z
Hi Guys

I have carb issues on my 600 XT. Bike was just serviced last week, I took it for a spin yesterday.

1) Mecchie says the "emulsion tube" or something seems scratched?? and that seems to be an issue.

2) Took the bike out yesterday
2.1) It doesnt start as easy as it did earler the week, especially when hot
2,2) Splutters quiet a lot at times, at lower speeds/revs, and it definitely overfuels, you can smell the fuel and exhaust burns very black
2.3) Goes like HELL above 90/100, really pulls like there's no tomorrow
2,4) If I pull the choke lever left/right there seems to be no difference in power..??

OK..........lets start here :

1) That choke - is it closed at left or right posiotion, meaning do you start it cold in what poristion, and when warmed up then in which position?
I rode it (warm/hot) with the choke lever to the right, meaning towards the head light. Is that right??
My "logic" told me the choke is in the far left position, meaning towards me and "flush" with the handle when starting cold, and then moved right when hot...........???

2) Where does one get a carb kit on this engine, or an aftermarket option, or even machine a part or 3 if necessary?

3) What crucial parts to replace on a carb , apart from that "emulsion tube" that the mecchie already indentified??

THANKS PLEASE TRY TO HELP ME OUT HERE