Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Filtering  (Read 547 times)

Offline BeeBob

Filtering
« on: June 22, 2020, 07:56:10 am »
So this fresh winter morning I'm commuting quietly to work this morning, same way as every day for last 20 odd years on my pcx scooter, traffic is rather quiet, The robots are playing ball until one changes when I'm about 80m away, I tap off from about 50kph and freewheel up to the two cars stopped at the intersection ahead of me, I slowly slip between the two cars and pull up well behind the faded white lines. A cop walks from the side of the road and stands in front of me and through his mask mumbles "why are you driving in the middle of the lanes" to which I reply that i wasn't aware that it was illegal to do so. The robot changed and cars pulled away and then he stepped out of my way mumbling something, and I continued.
Have I been breaking the law every day for ever?
2015 KTM500 2016 KTM200 2014 klr650 Previous bikes 09DR650 2014 F800GS Adv, 2014 KTM 1190, 2013 F800GS, 2011 Tenere 660z, 2008 XT660r, 2007 KLR650

Offline GhostSixFour

Re: Filtering
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:16:44 am »
Completely legal for a motorcycle to pass another vehicle in the same lane. I think the grey area is those 3 meters just before the light, they are a solid white line afterall.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:17:59 am »
No, lane splitting is not illegal in South Africa.

He was just intimidating you for a hopefull bribe....
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 09:43:13 am »
I tend to use GUD. No particular reason, just a personal whim. :biggrin:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:53:20 am »
there is actually a section in the road traffic act which deals with lane splitting,  then when and the how.
you were not doing anything wrong.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:58:48 am »
there is actually a section in the road traffic act which deals with lane splitting,  then when and the how.

There is?  I have never been able to find it and I have searched extensively.  The section dealing with overtaking can be interpreted to make lane splitting legal, but it does not describe lane splitting or filtering, or how it should be done.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:06:03 am »
Completely legal for a motorcycle to pass another vehicle in the same lane. I think the grey area is those 3 meters just before the light, they are a solid white line afterall.
That is the part where you have to be carefull... >:D

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 10:13:44 am »

There is?  I have never been able to find it and I have searched extensively.  The section dealing with overtaking can be interpreted to make lane splitting legal, but it does not describe lane splitting or filtering, or how it should be done.

i apologize for spreading fake news/information.
you are 100% correct.
 :thumleft:
https://www.autotrader.co.za/bikes/news-and-advice/motorcycle-news/is-lane-splitting-legal/2952#:~:text=Section%20298%20of%20the%20National,%2C%20subject%20to%20certain%20provisions).&text=Even%20when%20splitting%20up%20to%20traffic%20lights.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 10:18:16 am »

Good thing you apologized in time for me to call off the Fake News Assassination (Pty) Ltd) guys.   >:D

No worry.  I was hoping there is a specific paragraph that I missed.   :thumleft: 
i apologize for spreading fake news/information.
you are 100% correct.
 :thumleft:
https://www.autotrader.co.za/bikes/news-and-advice/motorcycle-news/is-lane-splitting-legal/2952#:~:text=Section%20298%20of%20the%20National,%2C%20subject%20to%20certain%20provisions).&text=Even%20when%20splitting%20up%20to%20traffic%20lights.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 10:33:31 am »
That is the part where you have to be carefull... >:D
Indeed. Twice whilst commuting my life has been saved because I stopped between the lanes at red traffic lights. Just to have a vehicle coming from behind flying past me, through the red light. In either case I would have been hit by a vehicle going way over 80 kph. Even when I can stop in the middle of an open lane, it has become a habit to pull to one side and stop between lanes at red lights.

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 11:03:49 am »
here's an opinion from the government of the western cape

https://www.westerncape.gov.za/general-publication/motorcycle-safety

here's a quote: Lane splitting

The term lane splitting (or lane sharing, filtering or white-lining) is when a motorcyclist rides between the lanes of a stationary or slow moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light.

Lane splitting isn't illegal in South Africa, however there are safety precautions motorcyclists should follow to ensure their safety:

editted to add: a legal opinion (Alta Swanepoel & Associates): https://carinsurance.arrivealive.co.za/what-are-the-rules-of-the-road-on-lane-splitting-by-bikers-motorcyclists-in-south-africa.php
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:07:01 am by Ganjora »

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 11:15:07 am »
here's a question for Howard Dembovski and his answer (https://www.insurancechat.co.za/2012-01/jpsa-warns-on-rules-of-the-road-for-motorbike-riders-and-u-turns-at-traffic-lights/):

JPSA warns on Rules of the Road for motorbike riders and U-turns at Traffic Lights
 Jan 14, 2012  jonckie motorbike safety, motorcycle insurance, rules of the road, u-turns by motorcyclists

We would like to share a discussion between a visitor to the Arrive Alive website and some advice provided by Howard Dembovsky from Justice Project South Africa.

Question:

If traffic is stopped at a red light, is a motorbike allowed to pass the stationary traffic to get ahead? On the dotted line, even if there are no cars coming in the oncoming lane?

Answer:

Your question is a little vague, therefore making it a little difficult to answer. I will do my best however to answer your question.

A motorcycle should not add to traffic congestion where it is not strictly necessary to do so. This is not a part of any law, it is common sense and part of what I train commuters/town riders.

Any motor vehicle may pass traffic to its left if there is a broken white line permitting overtaking, and provided that the manoeuvre is safe to execute. A motorcycle is a motor vehicle and therefore the same applies. In a scenario where there is stationary traffic at a traffic light, that motorcyclist may overtake the stationary vehicles provided that it is able to make its way back into the lane and stop for the lights, without cutting in or endangering other traffic.

The second part of your question is what causes me confusion since an overtaking manoeuvre should only be practiced if there is no oncoming traffic. A motorcycle, like any other motor vehicle may not overtake in the face of oncoming traffic as it is both illegal and extremely dangerous to do so.

This having been said, the skills of motorcyclists in South Africa are appallingly bad and whilst the law does not require formal instruction to be taken by a learner motorcyclist, I strongly recommend that anyone riding one should take a good commuter training course so as to become a skilled and safe rider.

Best Regards,

Howard Dembovsky
National Chairman Justice Project South Africa (NPC)

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 02:10:38 pm »

This having been said, the skills of motorcyclists in South Africa are appallingly bad ....

I have to say I agree 100% here. It is not necessarily about riding skills but also decision making and impatience. Most days when caging in traffic I see a bike doing something incredibly stupid. A common one is to lane split to the left of a right turning lane then turn along with the next car to the right. Problem is that car isn't expecting anyone to his left, NO ONE should be there then if they move left for any reason the bike is right there and in the blind spot.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 04:25:58 pm »

This having been said, the skills of motorcyclists in South Africa are appallingly bad ....

I have to say I agree 100% here. It is not necessarily about riding skills but also decision making and impatience. Most days when caging in traffic I see a bike doing something incredibly stupid. A common one is to lane split to the left of a right turning lane then turn along with the next car to the right. Problem is that car isn't expecting anyone to his left, NO ONE should be there then if they move left for any reason the bike is right there and in the blind spot.

I have to agree with the part in bold. I can't remember the amount of times I've fallen off mine.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 07:13:43 pm »
Lane splitting is legal on our roads, within safe parameters.

What is illegal is to cross the white line between lanes a fw times in succession, or with other vehicles filling those lanes., as this is overtaking, or lane-changing.

Lane-splitting is when you overtake a car, while both are in the same lane, iow if a motorist makes sufficient space for you to pass in the same lane.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 09:30:59 pm »
When a vehicle passes a cyclist it is in effect filtering. ::)

Offline BeeBob

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 07:17:47 am »
Ok so just before the intersection when the lane separating line becomes solid, is the time to look out for the cop, before sneaking to the front of the queue.
2015 KTM500 2016 KTM200 2014 klr650 Previous bikes 09DR650 2014 F800GS Adv, 2014 KTM 1190, 2013 F800GS, 2011 Tenere 660z, 2008 XT660r, 2007 KLR650

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Oubones

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 12:00:24 pm »

I have to agree with the part in bold. I can't remember the amount of times I've fallen off mine.
I think about 10times in 5km one day, Ongeluksnek! :peepwall: :imaposer:
I cringe when I see how fast some guys lane split in Jhb peak traffic!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 12:12:10 pm »
The section dealing with overtaking can be interpreted to make lane splitting legal, but it does not describe lane splitting or filtering, or how it should be done.

have given this some thought.
nobody comes up behind the car,  splits up next to it,  and then sits next to the car sharing its lane for the rest of the journey.   This is obviously incredibly stupid and dangerous,  and there should be laws against this.
what you actually do is come up behind the car,  move to between the lanes,  split past the car as quickly as is circumstantially safe,  and then move back to your normal riding position in your lane.
when you are 'lane splitting',  passing,  is what you are actually doing.
that said,  i think that it comes down to the 'reasonable man' test,  and the dick cop syndrome.
YMMV