Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalayan  (Read 1161 times)

Offline hendrikvanzyl6

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 04:38:37 pm »
Or you can buy a CRF250L with the same HP but lot less weight and you wont need to change steering neck bearings next tot he road  :biggrin:

This video supports your viewpoint, and a good viewpoint it is

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 08:10:32 pm »
To be honest, the video above shows no real "abuse" of the bikes, and even the cheapest Chinese things may survive one such trip.

Do a 20 000km review of trips and the Enfield may disappoint.

The brand struggles to establish itself anywhere outside India, and this is despite the fact that it is way cheaper than the opposition.

Reasons are varied, but mostly very old technology, that was not so clever to begin with, and quality issues.

It does seem to share a weak point with the Dakar 650, in it's steering head bearings.

Offline hendrikvanzyl6

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 09:10:19 am »
To be honest, the video above shows no real "abuse" of the bikes, and even the cheapest Chinese things may survive one such trip.

The brand struggles to establish itself anywhere outside India, and this is despite the fact that it is way cheaper than the opposition.

Reasons are varied, but mostly very old technology, that was not so clever to begin with, and quality issues.

It does seem to share a weak point with the Dakar 650, in it's steering head bearings.

Agreed, but watch the last 3 minutes, they say you can buy the Honda and it will do the job much better, their camera man was on a Honda, he had to wait for them a lot. That is ahy I replied to the Honda comment.

Offline petri oosthuizen

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 09:26:51 am »
Daai Enfield is 'n BAIE cool bike, maar ek sal definitief ook eerder die Honda Rally koop teen R 75000 (nou op special).
1150 GSA
XT 600 Tenere

Offline BuRP

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 09:40:15 am »
Reasons are varied

I'll give you one, one only, however the main most important primary one: they are staggeringly lethargic performers!
I rented a 500cc in India with 96000km's on the clock, no typo, and yeah, it ran fine - but "fine" pertains to a RE only!
It saw 100kph fairly easy but without even a hint or excitement, and when you kept hanging on the stretched cable it eventually would do an indicated 120kph - that's a 500cc RE for you!

But, notwithstanding this it still was the biggest capacity bike we ever saw, plus it being a 500 proved to command respect from the local population.... as most others were 350cc bikes, we saw only a handful of other 500's there!
In India it is King and Emperor and it rules, make no mistake.... but anywhere else it is a lethargic wheezing pos that's outrun by a 125cc unless you carry the kitchen sink plus granny on the back.
RE's will do megamileage, sure, but you will take eons to do them - which for most isn't why they ride motorbikes, a little modern bike runs circles around them whilst they puff at their top speed!

So I dislike them?
Nah, they have their place, but that's mainly in India I reckon  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline hendrikvanzyl6

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 10:49:32 am »
Reasons are varied

I'll give you one, one only, however the main most important primary one: they are staggeringly lethargic performers!
I rented a 500cc in India with 96000km's on the clock, no typo, and yeah, it ran fine - but "fine" pertains to a RE only!
It saw 100kph fairly easy but without even a hint or excitement, and when you kept hanging on the stretched cable it eventually would do an indicated 120kph - that's a 500cc RE for you!

But, notwithstanding this it still was the biggest capacity bike we ever saw, plus it being a 500 proved to command respect from the local population.... as most others were 350cc bikes, we saw only a handful of other 500's there!
In India it is King and Emperor and it rules, make no mistake.... but anywhere else it is a lethargic wheezing pos that's outrun by a 125cc unless you carry the kitchen sink plus granny on the back.
RE's will do megamileage, sure, but you will take eons to do them - which for most isn't why they ride motorbikes, a little modern bike runs circles around them whilst they puff at their top speed!

So I dislike them?
Nah, they have their place, but that's mainly in India I reckon  :P

"Nah, they have their place, but that's mainly in India I reckon"
That is the best and most true comment! Each to their own, circumstances vary.

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:25 am »
I thought they only come in a 411cc capacity at this time, been a lot of speculation on when/if a 650cc model will make an appearance.

The Himalayan is not a fast bike and very little in the way of performance, BUT, it does what the label says and willingly. I have been following Itchy Boot's YT channel and the little pony hasn't let her down, in fact it just keeps going. It may not be an exciting bike, but it has done what is asked of it.

Would I buy one? I don't know to be honest. Would I buy a 250 Rally?......I don't really fit on the smaller bikes, so I would personally stick to a 650 or bigger because my "Petite" frame would struggle to fit on the smaller bikes.
Would I ride one on a trip? I wouldn't refuse a demo, just to see what they run like for myself.

I think that when you buy a bike like the RE Himalayan, you are the type of person who doesn't mind the "Going Nowhere Slowly" vibe, much like a Landy or Wrangler owner, you know you won't break any speed records, but the ride itself is the Adventure, not just the destination.  ;)

My 2c  :thumleft:
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 11:46:31 am »
I would not turn it down as a present... :thumleft:

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 12:08:54 pm »
The RE 500 Bullet has stopped production.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 03:58:54 pm »
The RE 500 Bullet has stopped production.

I did not even know. :ricky:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2020, 06:22:27 pm »
I had a 500cc Royal Enfield once. The engine, although it looked just like the final production version, had a cast iron cylinder head. It wasn't used by me on the road, but was bought for 30 shillings to use around the fields and lanes where it was virtually unusable having no suspension and totally smooth tyres.

I cannibalised the carburettor from it to make my 200cc Triumph go faster  :ricky: and gave the rest away because my dad told me to get the bloody thing out of his yard.

Never had another Enfield, but they were always a part of my motorcycling experience since 1961, and for that reason I'd like to have one in my stable today.

I mean of course that huge fantasy stable which I could never have had anyway!  :lol8:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

"They" say I confuse wanting to stay young with wanting things to stay as they were when I was young.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Vaufi

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 12:54:30 pm »

You can't compared the Himalayan to the Bullet. It is a newly developed bike, so is the engine. Here is an interesting report by an owner: https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/which-bike/royal-enfield-himalayan-96018-4#post614351
I reckon it's more comfortable than the little Honda, and should be just fine for travellers. As long as you aren't in a hurry  :P
Only when we pause to wonder
do we go beyond the limits of our little lives.
(Rod McKuen)

Offline emperor zog

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 09:19:12 pm »
a couple of years ago a friend and I rode the himalayas of India for 5 weeks on just released R E Himalayans ( which I did report on here on Wilddog). Very capable bikes, strong and simple with good suspension. Yes underpowered but perfect for Indian conditions particularly in the Himalayas. Would not suit SA riding conditions.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 07:51:26 am »
I would not turn it down as a present... :thumleft:

You know people that would give you that as a present?? :pot:

Offline petri oosthuizen

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 07:55:31 pm »
Hmmmm..........nice bike I guess.

But a new Honda 250 Rally - on special with all extras = sells for something like R 74000 now at Honda Bloem.

Ek weet nie wat die outjie kos nie, maar ek dink dis maar naby aan daai prys.

Ek persoonlik sal eerder na die Honda kyk. My Opinion.
1150 GSA
XT 600 Tenere