A few weeks in Thabazimbi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
For the last six years I have been employed to do a yearly consulting job at a platinum mine in the Thabazimbi area of Limpopo.

The job involves a number of interviews on the mine, and rather than traipse backwards and forwards on the R511 for the two weekends, I book into one of the many B&B’s in the area and make a little trip of it. Needless to say my bike would get pissed of if she was not invited along on the trailer, and would probably respond by throwing me off next time I rode her - a risk I won’t take. Also there are many roads to ride in the area and I am not going to sit in the pub or B&B and leave them unridden.

This trip the weather was not too kind from a riding perspective, although great for the farmers as it rained almost every day, but there were enough gaps to get out there and ride a bit, and hence  these pics and report.

The roads ridden – the ones marked with letters were this year, the others were last year. 

ThabaPostReSeQb_000.jpg

I could not organize a single booking for the whole period, and had to move a couple of times. This pic was taken from the Hardekool deck one evening – looking towards the Waterberg. 

ThabaPostReSeQb_001.jpg

A similar view from the deck of the Maroela guest house, and then back at Hardekool The mountains are in the Marakele National Park. Great to visit, but no bikes allowed I am afraid.

ThabaPostReSeQb_002.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_003.jpg

Most evenings (weather permitting) I would take a “sundowner burn”. Met a farmer reaping his wheat and asked if I could take a pic of the bike in the field. He, and his merry gang, thought I was crazy, but I like the pics.

ThabaPostReSeQb_004.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_005.jpg

First “outride” was the road marked “A” on my map – to Rooiberg. Had been raining the day before and roads were a bit slushy, but rideable at GundaSpeed.

ThabaPostReSeQb_006.jpg

Was looking forward to brekkie in Rooberg at the Koekepan – but unfortunately not open.

ThabaPostReSeQb_007.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_008.jpg

Took a detour via the wheat fields in the Crocodile rover valley – love the smell of a wheat field after the harvester has finished. It smells like a stable with fresh bedding, but before the horse has peed on it.

ThabaPostReSeQb_009.jpg

Rodin’s thinker posed on a small bridge over the Crocodile.

ThabaPostReSeQb_010.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_011.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_012.jpg

More wheat fields – never grew tired of it.

ThabaPostReSeQb_013.jpg

Following weekend took a ride to check the roads for a possible long ride on Sunday. Like an idiot I had already marked the invitation thread as <<mudded out>> , but when I got out I found that most of the water had been sucked up, and the roads were quite rideable.

These pics are from road “C” on my map. 

ThabaPostReSeQb_014.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_015.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_016.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_017.jpg

So on Sunday (16th) I headed out to do Bakker’s and Rankins passes. There were a couple of  places where it was wet, but nothing serious.

Bakker’s pass.

This pass rises from the plain  below onto a “step” on the south side of the Waterberg. An easy climb of about 400m

ThabaPostReSeQb_018.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_019.jpg

On the “step” on the south of the Waterberg.

ThabaPostReSeQb_020.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_021.jpg

Got a bit confused as to why many of the stones were either white or red, and then found this piece of coarse shale - half white, and half red. Must ask DeepBass9 what happened in Geological time.

ThabaPostReSeQb_022.jpg

Some Eland, Blesbokke and Pajamadonkies in a game farm next to the road. 

ThabaPostReSeQb_023.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_024.jpg

The top of Rankin’s pass (“E”). The pass is just a shallow straight drop down to the plain below, with only one turn, and hardly qualifies as a mountain pass, but it is really scenic.

ThabaPostReSeQb_025.jpg

Nice to see the stroompies running. The water in this one tasted like iron filings, mud and grass roots, so I had some cappuccino instead.

ThabaPostReSeQb_026.jpg

ThabaPostReSeQb_027.jpg

Have to have an “ag shame” picture. I suspect this little brahman had never seen a bike, in fact I suspect he had never seen anything.

Mama was not keen on him having his pic taken, and I was pleased there was a fence between us.

ThabaPostReSeQb_028.jpg

The multifunction shop in Rankin’s pass.

ThabaPostReSeQb_029.jpg

On the section marked “F” on my map. Waterberg in the background.

ThabaPostReSeQb_030.jpg

The “Big 5” Restaurant in Vaalwater. Good place for a stop.

ThabaPostReSeQb_031.jpg

From there I took the R517, but took a detour on the road marked “H”.
Whew, but this road was tricky – at least for me and a KLE.

What was not washed away, corrugated or rocky was sandy, and there were many times I regretted the decision to ride it.

No photos I am afraid, as it was a full time job just trying to keep the bike upright.

The good news was that by the end I was not nearly as scared of sand as I was at the start, and the last straight bit to Sentrum I was flying along on top of the sand at a good 70-90 Kph.

Made it safe and sound back to the R510 and tar, found a tree and sat for a while just to enjoy life for a while and let the adrenaline levels subside.   

ThabaPostReSeQb_032.jpg