Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: VFR 400 reliability ? (1987 model)  (Read 575 times)

Offline blitzer

VFR 400 reliability ? (1987 model)
« on: June 26, 2020, 06:13:48 am »
Hi All

I know someone who wants to sell a 1987 VFR400, now there are plenty of other bikes to choose from i know but compared to the choices looking at my strict budget, obviously the 400 is tempting.
He said he had redone the engine:

"re done whole engine. New plugs battery mirrors coil tyres. Bored engine a bit. It's top end clocks out at 243km. Taken fairing off just need to mount back on put petrol and oil in Bike. Only problem I've had was the pilot jet was clogged up. So it was running on choke because of that."

It seems tempting to buy this bike however on the other forum it seems like everyone is cautioning against the VFR400 in general as they say it was a grey market import, parts are scarce and no one wants to work on it:

https://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthread.php?72931-VFR-400-as-a-commuter&s=86f52590928dd163c5f356b6271746e2

Still i am curious and attracted by the power this little pocket "rocket" as some have said provides.
Should i knock myself firmly out of this spell that seemingly tempts me to get this bike ?
Or is it not as bad as they say it is ?

I'm not planning on riding it more than twice a week. And i'm not planning on pushing it to the 200km/h mark.
However, if i do ride it, will it breakdown next to the road ? what can go wrong on this bike and what parts are so hard to find?
How often will it need servicing and tuning, i am not a mechanic but a good all rounder, is it easy to learn to self servie, as i understand it the engine is not so easy to work on ?

Will i be buying into trouble ?

Offline Dux

Re: VFR 400 reliability ? (1987 model)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:44:16 am »
Tops out at 243kmh !!!  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Those 400ís are seriously reliable , you need to run them without oil to break them , so anyone that tells me they rebuilt the engine is concerning for me , and having a carb problem but not fixing it  :o , the whole thing sounds very dodgy .
Walk away and find something else , for the record , spares on Honda grey imports are not a problem at all and those bikes are not difficult to work on at all
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 06:53:44 am »
VFR400 were great bikes.

Old neglected VFR400s that had suspicious mechanical work done to them are terrible bikes.

Walk away.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:02:04 am »
Walk away.

Must've taken serious neglect to have the motor redone.

Bought a ZX4 many years ago for the wife. From a reputable importer, who had the PDI done before every delivery.

When I serviced it, there was no airfilter, not a broken one, none, nada, fokol airfilter.

Walk away
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

The following users thanked this post: subie

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 07:04:51 am »
Bored the engine out a bit.  :eek7:
With a lekker noisy exhaust added that  top end will easily clock out at 243km/h.  Should be easily atainable (down a mineshaft ) :sip:
Never had one but also thought they were reliable little bikes if kept unmollested
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:06:13 am »
Dont listen to these people telling you to walk away
..you should run..very fast and very far.
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline Wayne

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 07:09:35 am »
It seems as if you have a little voice in the back of your mind causing doubt. Listen to that voice......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 07:21:11 am »
I would regard this with suspicion, although the VFR400's were very reliable, old age, many mechanics later they are suspect.

A good one would reach a top end of almost 210, they were fast.

V4 in a tight package makes working space tight.

Yes, Subie, I had to laugh at the "bored out a bit", probably with the same pistons/rings. :imaposer:

Google British production racing with Carl Fogarty on these, and Jamie Witham on an RGV250. Absolutely spectacular!

Offline Dux

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 07:28:30 am »
I would regard this with suspicion, although the VFR400's were very reliable, old age, many mechanics later they are suspect.

Yes, Subie, I had to laugh at the "bored out a bit", probably with the same pistons/rings. :imaposer:

Google British production racing with Carl Fogarty on these, and Jamie Witham on an RGV250. Absolutely spectacular!

Killarney back straight we could get them to about 220 kmh , that was the NC30 , the 87 model was the NC 24 with less power , maybe about 190 kmh .
The sad thing is that someone will be suckered into buying this bike 
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 07:39:40 am »

Very toight toight to work on. If you have average fingers itís impossible. Worked on more than one and how they crammed all that into such a small space is incredible.

Go look at the bike. If it talks to you buy it. Lifeís to short to only own practical bikes. Can learn a lot working on motos. Cathartic too.

243 km/h easy peasy. My bro had a cbr 400 and 2 up I used to push 260.  So maybe this one needs a bit of love.

Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 07:49:15 am »
Nee hel ouens. Mens mag spekskiet maar nou gooi van julle sommer heel varke  :patch: :imaposer:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

The following users thanked this post: Lem

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
Nee hel ouens. Mens mag spekskiet maar nou gooi van julle sommer heel varke  :patch: :imaposer:

spekskiet is so mooi word. Ek noem dit sommer wat dit is: kakpraat!

Offline Lem

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 08:33:23 am »

ja nee, het die forum 'n visvang blad? Want as hy het gaan die mods hierdie thread vinnig soontoe skuif  :imaposer:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline blitzer

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 09:39:32 am »

Very toight toight to work on. If you have average fingers it’s impossible. Worked on more than one and how they crammed all that into such a small space is incredible.

Go look at the bike. If it talks to you buy it. Life’s to short to only own practical bikes. Can learn a lot working on motos. Cathartic too.

243 km/h easy peasy. My bro had a cbr 400 and 2 up I used to push 260.  So maybe this one needs a bit of love.

Indeed it does talk to me, however the replies to this thread talks the other way :( I appreciate the feedback so because of that i think i will not buy it.
But now for the same price i need to settle for a cbr125, not an easy pill to swallow...

If i ride the 400 gently, will it not make a difference ( as in 140k/h max gently)

And no i cannot get a different bike for that price, as in a 250 or 300. not going to mention the price.

The main reason for the 400 would be passing power (and of course the experience and the sound)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:43:15 am by blitzer »

Offline Dux

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 09:48:23 am »

Indeed it does talk to me, however the replies to this thread talks the other way :( I appreciate the feedback so because of that i think i will not buy it.
But now for the same price i need to settle for a cbr125, not an easy pill to swallow...

If i ride the 400 gently, will it not make a difference ( as in 140k/h max gently)

And no i cannot get a different bike for that price, as in a 250 or 300. not going to mention the price.

The main reason for the 400 would be passing power (and of course the sound and the experience)

If the 400 is going for the same price as a CBR125 ,( I presume both used bikes ) and the guy has done a complete rebuild then he is bullshiiting big time , the spares for a rebuild as he describes would be more than the price of a 125 .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 09:59:00 am »

Very toight toight to work on. If you have average fingers itís impossible. Worked on more than one and how they crammed all that into such a small space is incredible.

Go look at the bike. If it talks to you buy it. Lifeís to short to only own practical bikes. Can learn a lot working on motos. Cathartic too.

The main reason for the 400 would be passing power (and of course the experience and the sound)

the wise decision ...believe me very wise.

We only know this cos we have made the wrong decisions...motorcyles are heart purchases.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 10:07:46 am »
They were great bikes back in the day and even as a grey import, still a good buy.  They came into SA by the container load and back then, the bikes as well as parts were readily available.  Now, 30 odd years later, not so much.  The mechanics who still have parts are few and far between and will charge whatever they want as parts are not easily obtainable anymore.  30 years of use may well have required an engine overhaul, but what about all the rest?  The suspension?  Brakes? Frame?  Electrics? Fuel delivery system? Etc?    All these things are now 30 years old and bound to fail.  Anyone one of those can put the bike out of commission, forever.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:08:40 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Dux

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 10:48:50 am »
They were great bikes back in the day and even as a grey import, still a good buy.  They came into SA by the container load and back then, the bikes as well as parts were readily available.  Now, 30 odd years later, not so much.  The mechanics who still have parts are few and far between and will charge whatever they want as parts are not easily obtainable anymore.  30 years of use may well have required an engine overhaul, but what about all the rest?  The suspension?  Brakes? Frame?  Electrics? Fuel delivery system? Etc?    All these things are now 30 years old and bound to fail.  Anyone one of those can put the bike out of commission, forever.

The importers with the exception of Yamaha were happy to import spares for the grey imports , most spares are still available from the dealers , they probably wouldnít have stock in SA but at least they are available ex Japan . Added advantage is that there are also lots of aftermarket spares available for the popular grey imports , quite often spares can also be matched up to other models .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 10:52:35 am »

ja nee, het die forum 'n visvang blad? Want as hy het gaan die mods hierdie thread vinnig soontoe skuif  :imaposer:

Wag net dat ek jou vertel van die DT175 wat ek so effens groter geboor het en 200kmh geclock het...  8)
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Dux

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 10:55:57 am »

Wag net dat ek jou vertel van die DT175 wat ek so effens groter geboor het en 200kmh geclock het...  8)
Op die agter wiel nogal  :thumleft:

My RZ50 used to do 150kmh , on the back of the V8 Ranchero bakkie  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:59:22 am by Dux »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square