KZN Midands/Drakensberg Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyg

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Chang Jiang (all models)
Midands/Drakensberg Trip

2 x Fuglies had planned a trip together to the KZN Midlands and through D roads and secondary roads to the Drakensberg. First destination and stopover was Dargle Forest Lodge for Monday night and second one a remote farmhouse deep in the Berg in the Swartberg region near the Lesotho border.
Met at the Engen Garage in Waterfall at 09h00, filled fuel, zeroed the odos and set off. Leasurely cruise through the Valley of the 1000 Hills and then a stop at Worlds View at the top of Town Hill. From there pushed  through on gravel roads to Nottingham Road. Patrick's Camo KLR handling nicely after his suspension mods front and rear and enjoying the ride. Got to the iconic Notties Hotel hoping for breakfast and coffee but they closed due to Covid. Same result at a couple of other places and eventually settle on a pie and some coffee at the Spar in Nottingham rd.
Set off for dargle and we in time for our planned arrival at 15h00. We leave the gravel and now heading on the Meander route to pick up the dirt road to the forest lodge. Approaching the intersection and I notice Patrick's headlight is not in my mirrors. Concerned I u turn and head 2km back up the road to find his bike at the side of the road and him about 400m behind that walking on the road. I get to him and he points out the black stripe on the tar where his back wheel locked up. He managed to pull in the clutch and came to a stop. He thought maybe had broken a rear caliper or picked up something and jammed his wheel. Not the case. He says Temps were good and engine showing plenty of oil. Starts to strip the left cover off and oil is pouring out. Retighten the bolts and post on the KLR whatsapp group. Pretty soon Gix replies and says it sounds like the balancer chain let go. We all know what that means. Decisions as to what to do now. I'd noticed a craft shop further down the road called Spiral Blue and head there. Introduce myself to the owner Paul and explain our dilemma and we need a safe place for the bike. Absolutely no problem and offers a parking spot behind gates on the property. Return to Patrick and he freewheels the bike down the road. Get the bike on the property and he arranges with a mate to collect his bakkie and come and fetch the bike. He asks what I want to do and I say that I will wait until he is collected and then carry on. He says no I must push on to the lodge and he will come back in his bakkie after dropping the bike. He has set his mind on the trip and wants to carry on.
OK. I set off and hit the gravel road to the lodge. Lekker ride on the dirt and the 3km ride on their driveway.

Attachments

• IMG-20200625-WA0041.jpg
    IMG-20200625-WA0041.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG-20200625-WA0052.jpg
    IMG-20200625-WA0052.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG-20200625-WA0047.jpg
    IMG-20200625-WA0047.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG-20200625-WA0048.jpg
    IMG-20200625-WA0048.jpg