2010 Honda 125 cbr shifting (something to get used to ? )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzer

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR200
After the recommendation here by good intended individuals to not go for the VFR 400, i got a CBR 125 and today was my first ride on it.

Upon my first pull away I stalled it, it happened a couple of times, releasing the clutch to soon, and while riding, i by accident shifted up and grinding the gears a bit. (man i was upset that i did that)

Anyway as  drove up and down driving the neighborhood crazy i became more at ease with shifting gears. However cannot fully seem to get used to it, (i fully believe its simply a matter of practice)

But reading some more i found that the CBR 125 does not have a "race" gearbox as Honda wanted to save costs so they put in a different gearbox.

But now i need some more clarification before i confuse myself more. As tomorrow will be spent practicing gear shifts (no peace of mind in the neighborhood tomorrow :D)

The advice on how to shift with this bike was the following:

Yep, you got the descriptions right and like Bladeracer says, having a light pressure on the shifter while you ease the clutch out ever so slightly will do the trick. The clutch only needs to be released just a tiny bit, no where near the distance you would use to get the bike to roll forward when in first.
It's one of those things that will start to feel natural in no time and you'll do it without even thinking about it.

Now i do not want to burn the clutch or crunch the gears so i'm asking for a bit of clarification.
This is how i understand the above: (is this correct ?)

Fully pull the clutch (obviously) for each gear change yes.
Fully release the clutch lever for first gear (that i found out from the get go, it will not engage fully if you do not release the clutch lever fully.)

However from 2nd gear onwards, you should not fully release the clutch lever (so always keep it with some squeeze while riding ?) and simultaneously just before squeezing the clutch lever fully have some pressure on the shiftier for each gear upwards.

Am i understanding this correct ?

Also one has to physically "shift" through neutral after first gear (what i mean is you really feel the lock into neutral that you need to lock out of as you gear towards second gear) From what i have read, it is typical CBR 125 ?