Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Undercover art  (Read 681 times)

Offline Neo_za

Re: Undercover art
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 07:59:41 am »
The most significant and iconic line of motorcycles ever. In my opinion. You are fortunate to own one.

PM me your wife's phone number to ensure the 31K a permanent place in the lounge. [ I promise not to tell her that it's worth quite a bit ]

Who remembers the 70's ad of the guy sharing his bed with a Kawasaki H2?

Kamanya mentioning the bedroom brought that ad back. :thumleft:

:biggrin: some people you just cannot reason with..believe me.

I am starting more and more to lean towards storing and displaying it in other places in the house even if that means that it would not be easily accessible to go for a quick ride. I also have a snooker room, and whilst it will be a struggle to get it in there, it could be the answer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:00:19 am by Neo_za »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 08:00:45 am »
Storing the restored bike is a problem many of us sit with. 

First of all is the standard of restoration, where a frame not properly prepared and primed, and the inside tubes at least Tectyl'ed, will sit and rust anyway, the inside of fuel tanks is another great worry.

Sitting in winter damp, even inside, does them no good either.

The only longterm way is the climate-controlled room, which is very far out of my reach.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:09 am »
The most significant and iconic line of motorcycles ever. In my opinion. You are fortunate to own one.

PM me your wife's phone number to ensure the 31K a permanent place in the lounge. [ I promise not to tell her that it's worth quite a bit ]

Who remembers the 70's ad of the guy sharing his bed with a Kawasaki H2?

Kamanya mentioning the bedroom brought that ad back. :thumleft:

:biggrin: some people you just cannot reason with..believe me.

I am starting more and more to lean towards storing and displaying it in other places in the house even if that means that it would not be easily accessible to go for a quick ride. I also have a snooker room, and whilst it will be a struggle to get it in there, it could be the answer.

Play the in-house version of musical chairs. Put it in the lounge until she complains, then move it to the kitchen until she complains, then......

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 08:06:03 am »
Storing the restored bike is a problem many of us sit with. 

First of all is the standard of restoration, where a frame not properly prepared and primed, and the inside tubes at least Tectyl'ed, will sit and rust anyway, the inside of fuel tanks is another great worry.

Sitting in winter damp, even inside, does them no good either.

The only longterm way is the climate-controlled room, which is very far out of my reach.

100% correct Dan.

I had my frame chemically dipped and prepped, inside and out, prior to painting and recently spent a small fortune having the tank professionally lined.

It is the tin roof of a Wendy house, more so than in a garage or a house, that lets in the damp and starts the rot. The small things...even a little surface rust forming on a previously shiny surface would be enough to drive me up the wall.

Offline EssBee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 08:25:47 am »
I get all warm and fuzzy when I see pics of those bikes. As 2SD said, that is one of thee most iconic ever.

I was priviledged to own one once....similtaneous to owning an XR500....and then I got divorced ::) :lol8: 24 years old and convinced I was invincible.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 08:37:23 am »
Looking at the pic of the bike, are you sure divorce is not a option?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:37:44 am by Wayne »
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 09:01:28 am »
Looking at the pic of the bike, are you sure divorce is not a option?

Her view is that i should stop whining and sell it. Totally unsymphathetic to the situation :biggrin:

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 09:04:47 am »
Just don't tell her what it is worth :biggrin:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 09:05:20 am »
My wife thinks you only need one bike, how are you going to argue with someone like that ! No surprise she wants you to sell it :deal:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 09:08:14 am »

:biggrin: already made that mistake, so i think she has ulterior motives.

Next time i am going to start it up in the garage with the door to the kitchen (and leading to the rest of the house) wide open >:D

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 09:09:14 am »
As nice as it is to have a bike like this at your disposal, and as hard as it is to hear this, in a situation where the bike cannot be stored in a friendly environment, it would be best to sell.

One must also be very cautious of storing bikes/cars under covers, because it is often where moisture forms and cannot escape, where huge damage lies waiting.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:17 am »

:biggrin: already made that mistake, so i think she has ulterior motives.

Next time i am going to start it up in the garage with the door to the kitchen (and leading to the rest of the house) wide open >:D

Sorry Sir, but a bit of a low tactic to also get her addicted to 2stroke. :ricky:

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 09:12:22 am »
My wife thinks you only need one bike, how are you going to argue with someone like that ! No surprise she wants you to sell it :deal:

I know i always said differently, but i am starting to agree with your wife. You can only ever ride one bike at a time, and given the cost of maintenance, repair, annual licenses, etc, it is becoming a viable option. Maybe its time to sell all my other bikes (with the exception of the TW) and just get one bike.

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 09:13:26 am »
As nice as it is to have a bike like this at your disposal, and as hard as it is to hear this, in a situation where the bike cannot be stored in a friendly environment, it would be best to sell.

One must also be very cautious of storing bikes/cars under covers, because it is often where moisture forms and cannot escape, where huge damage lies waiting.

Ultimately, and unfortunately, i think you are right

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 09:17:06 am »
How about this option. We have seen a pic of the bike so now post a pic of the wife. Then put up a poll on whether to keep the bike or the wife.....Problem solved :peepwall: :ricky:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Wayne

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2020, 09:31:40 am »
How about this option. We have seen a pic of the bike so now post a pic of the wife. Then put up a poll on whether to keep the bike or the wife.....Problem solved :peepwall: :ricky:
This

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2020, 09:59:23 am »
Like this?....

I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:35 am »

Hahaha....good one.

So after nagging for a while, the wife relented and after a quick re-juggling of the furniture the RD has found a nice spot in the garden lounge where i can sit peacefully admiring it. Life is good again :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:33:15 am by Neo_za »

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2020, 10:45:44 am »
Hi there
Build it into the  lounges main window the way people can appreciate it from the outside :thumleft:
you can appreciate it from the inside !! :thumleft:
and technically it's not in the lounge so not a problem
QED
DS
Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2020, 10:51:49 am »
Hi there
Build it into the  lounges main window the way people can appreciate it from the outside :thumleft:
you can appreciate it from the inside !! :thumleft:
and technically it's not in the lounge so not a problem
QED
DS

The wrong type of people, those who visit in the early hours of the morning, will also see it and then my insurance broker will not be too happy :biggrin: