Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Things I learned from biking  (Read 1663 times)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Re: Things I learned from biking
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »
I learned how easy it is to remember wise advice, afterwards.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007, 0012

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 04:33:10 pm »
I learnt how to break legs

I am really good at breaking bones by now but I still can't do a proper wheelie

Vaaak me too.  :thumleft: :imaposer: :imaposer:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 08:26:21 pm »
Remember when you stop or are going slow and the is a slope is left or right, DON'T put your foot out on the wrong side.

Also, if it looks like you are going to hit a car, let go and jump up. I remember reading that somewhere here before by someone who did it and did not break his thighs...Not sure if its practical but I have always believe it might make a life/death difference, so might as well add to the arsenal & practice it in your mind....but maybe not in practice. ;D

With my last accident, when I broke my femurs, I wanted to jump up when I saw the bump oming, but just now someone sees me meerkatting. I chose two femurs before that shame. :ricky:

Offline Master Beerkie

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Master Beerkie
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 07:46:19 am »
 :laughing4:
A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

Presently: KH250, GT550, KLE500, 620 Duke, 950 Adv
Previously: TS185 (plaasbike), PE250, 420KDX, 450KDX, 600 Pantah, 1000 Jota (180°), XRV 750

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2020, 08:32:57 am »
Remember when you stop or are going slow and the is a slope is left or right, DON'T put your foot out on the wrong side.

Also, if it looks like you are going to hit a car, let go and jump up. I remember reading that somewhere here before by someone who did it and did not break his thighs...Not sure if its practical but I have always believe it might make a life/death difference, so might as well add to the arsenal & practice it in your mind....but maybe not in practice. ;D

Having been in this situation recently, trust me, there isn't time for these kind of considerations, let alone getting the timing right. All I could do was swerve at the last split second to hit the bonnet instead of the b-pillar which I think saved my life
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2020, 08:55:53 am »

Having been in this situation recently, trust me, there isn't time for these kind of considerations, let alone getting the timing right. All I could do was swerve at the last split second to hit the bonnet instead of the b-pillar which I think saved my life

I drive and ride past that spot quite often.
Am I right in assuming there was a U-turn of sorts that got you?  My SO remembers that traffic light just past there being out that morning.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2020, 08:58:55 am »

Am I right in assuming there was a U-turn of sorts that got you?  My SO remembers that traffic light just past there being out that morning.

Don't know what I can and can't say for insurance, 3rd party etc but your assumption is reasonable
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2020, 09:01:30 am »

Given the lack of time to think, I think there is a lot of luck involved in a situation like this. My son (he was about 21 at the time), T-boned a Polo that ran a red light right in front of him. He instinctively got up and jumped. Did a somersault over the roof of the Polo, landed sort of on his feet, rolled with the momentum and got up, He had bruises just above his knees where his legs hit the car's roofline. Otherwise only some abrasions.. The impact of the bike with the car left pieces of blue plastic from the front end stuck in the car's door. The front wheel was almost half-way into the door. He was obviously extremely lucky - it could have been as bad as yours, Dwerg. I still get cold sweats when I think about how it could have turned out.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2020, 09:23:45 am »
Roxenz seeing how it stressed my family out, I can only imagine what a scare it must be if your child goes through that.

Yeah I sometimes wonder if trying to program your default reaction will work? I say "I" made call to swerve but my calculator may have just given me a good option to react to and I am lucky to be able to talk about it.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 09:58:41 am »

Don't know what I can and can't say for insurance, 3rd party etc but your assumption is reasonable

Got you :thumleft:

Offline Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2020, 11:36:39 am »
Where kit is concerned - COLD is painful, HEAT is uncomfortable - choose the latter  :thumleft:
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
Sunset Chalets 082 493 8814

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Offline Master Beerkie

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Master Beerkie
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2020, 11:58:23 am »
never get rid of your used slings, crutches, back brace, knee braces or moon boot
A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

Presently: KH250, GT550, KLE500, 620 Duke, 950 Adv
Previously: TS185 (plaasbike), PE250, 420KDX, 450KDX, 600 Pantah, 1000 Jota (180°), XRV 750

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2020, 12:22:32 pm »
The vibration and smell of a thumper is food for my soul   O0

Never had a thumper that smelled at all. Loved riding behind any 2 stroke bike though  :ricky:

Don't ride behind a KLR with dodgy bore, its like an oil refinery.  ::)
Hehe, poor Lance and Zanie on our Nam trip. :peepwall:
I want to experience the area that I drive through, so if in the cage I will stop and walk around in an interesting place.
As said earlier, I ride as if all the others on or next to the road want to take me out which has made me very aware of my surroundings.
I firmly believe that what I have learned due to riding bike has saved me many times, both on the bike and in the cage.
I learned to ride bike to come back, in usable condition! Me and the bike! :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:29:30 pm by Oubones »
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2020, 02:00:48 pm »
Is to never ignore the red mist, when it descends  ;)

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2020, 04:00:17 pm »
my father taught me this one, very unsympathetically I might add, if you are conscious after the accident, you make the call to the family to tell them about it, don't let somebody else make the call if at all possible, I have had to make some of those calls and it never goes down well.
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2020, 04:16:08 pm »
I learnt not to yawn while wearing an open face helmet.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2020, 04:59:10 pm »
About helmets. I learned that the earliest Bell Star helmets were badly designed with a very small facial aperture, making it extremely difficult to cram sandwiches into your mouth with a freezing hand whilst trapped on the mountain in the Isle of Man in foul weather and unable to move out until the race is over and the road declared open.  :-\
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2020, 05:36:28 pm »
About helmets. I learned that the earliest Bell Star helmets were badly designed with a very small facial aperture, making it extremely difficult to cram sandwiches into your mouth with a freezing hand whilst trapped on the mountain in the Isle of Man in foul weather and unable to move out until the race is over and the road declared open.  :-\

I has one of those, in white of course.  :biggrin:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2020, 09:15:48 am »
To never over estimate one's riding talent  ;)

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2020, 09:22:29 am »
To never over estimate one's riding talent  ;)

Very true :deal: