Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Chain Oil ?  (Read 670 times)

Offline blitzer

Chain Oil ?
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:30:58 am »
My question is, (might be a silly one) but be gentle please... i'm still learning.. #-o

Does the absolute middle of the chain have to have some of the lubricant on or does it need to be completely dry ?

After some research i found many people using 30w/40 gear oil on the chain, will it be ok on the 125 ?
I am very well aware that there might be people that think this is really stupid,

But i have done so and it seems to be much better than the glue that was on there previously.

After i lubed up my chain with the gear oil, i wiped off the sides and drove 10km. Man what a difference compared to the glue that was on there before ! (getting that glue off was torture that cannot be described, but got most of it off) And the new gear oil seemed to have loosened up more of that gunk that was left after the clean)

So the chain is now as clean as it ever was during its life.

Just i'm not 100% sure does those rings (the silver rings in the middle have to have some lube on or be completely dry ?) (those are the rollers yes ?)

Thinking about it, it would be nice for them to have some lube on, but that could attract dirt but if its just a little layer it would actually be good or not ?

Or total metal on metal if i dry them completely ? This just doesn't feel right, but it might be ?

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
Re: Chain Oil ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:35:31 am »
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Challa

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:38:31 am »
Dis veliger om oor kerk en politiek te praat as olie

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 12:07:29 pm »
WD40..... Wipe chain clean with a cloth, and spray WD40. This cleans and lubricates.
Iv'e used this on the Transalp and get between 25k and 32k on a chain.

my 2c. :thumleft:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Andre01

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:43 pm »
When I got my bike I started to use the fancy lube spray that the bike shops sell to you. I lubed my chain plus minus every 600km. The chain and sprockets only lasted ±15 000km.

After two sets of sprockets/chain I then started with WD40/Q20/Tool-in-a-can. I use this to clean my chain when it become dirty. I then ride around the block, wipe off the WD40 and then apply a thin layer of gear oil.  I re-apply the gear oil when my chain rollers becomes shiny and does not leave a black mark on my thumb. On a trip I will carry a small can of "spray" lube only because it is so easy to apply.

My current set of chain/sprockets is on 25 000km and they will do another 5-10k km. I think the key is not what lube/oil you use, but to ride with a "cleanish" chain and avoid the "grinding paste" that tends to form on your chain when dirty. 

Offline limacon

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:38:31 pm »

:laughing4:
“God is a comedian playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh.” ~ Voltaire

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 04:33:46 pm »
chainsaw oil - super cheap and loves to cling on...

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 100 048 km.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 05:16:14 pm »
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline blitzer

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 10:24:06 am »
:lol8:

Offline blitzer

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 10:24:52 am »
WD40..... Wipe chain clean with a cloth, and spray WD40. This cleans and lubricates.
Iv'e used this on the Transalp and get between 25k and 32k on a chain.

my 2c. :thumleft:
wow !

Offline blitzer

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 10:26:11 am »
When I got my bike I started to use the fancy lube spray that the bike shops sell to you. I lubed my chain plus minus every 600km. The chain and sprockets only lasted ±15 000km.

After two sets of sprockets/chain I then started with WD40/Q20/Tool-in-a-can. I use this to clean my chain when it become dirty. I then ride around the block, wipe off the WD40 and then apply a thin layer of gear oil.  I re-apply the gear oil when my chain rollers becomes shiny and does not leave a black mark on my thumb. On a trip I will carry a small can of "spray" lube only because it is so easy to apply.

My current set of chain/sprockets is on 25 000km and they will do another 5-10k km. I think the key is not what lube/oil you use, but to ride with a "cleanish" chain and avoid the "grinding paste" that tends to form on your chain when dirty.
Thank you Sir, this is the route i intend on going, i already have gear oil on my chain.

Offline blitzer

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 10:29:53 am »

Indeed i have watched this youtube a few times over and it convinced me, however someone put a slight dent in my confidence when he said that the guy in that youtube test did not put the chains through the vigorous test of riding at high speed and he argues that the chain gets so hot that gear oil might not be able to take the temperatures of a racing bike at high speeds.

Makes sense, but i'm going to take my chances with gear oil, seeming that people on here get 25k plus on their drivetrains with it ! I added 30w40 on mine.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 02:02:08 pm »
Get a bike with a shaft drive.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 03:04:21 pm »
Chain quality, even same make but different model o-ring chains, differ, resulting in different longevity.

Suzuki DRs were an example, coming out of the factory with a crap DID o-ring chain that didn't last long. DRs are quality bikes in general.

So be careful to make a direct comparison, unless you have the exact same make and model chain.

Riding style makes a big influence. I rode my first 990 like a hooligan. The 2nd and current one I'm a bit more subdued. Tyres last longer. I'm still on my first chain, as the kms are low.

I use Bel Ray white chain wax.

Doesn't fling off, I dont have to clean chain and sprockets, and it attracts little dust to grind the chain.

Of the products mentioned above, is there one that provides good lubricantion and is not flung off onto the rest of the bike?

Chainsaw oil maybe?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 06:48:10 pm »
It has been discussed often, that on the small capacity 4strokes, a high viscosity oil on the chain causes chain to sprocket stiction, and the resultant clutch slipping on pullling away

could be bad for the plates, gears and clutch cable.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 07:55:57 pm »
It will be catastrophic on a high power 125 .............................. best you buy some good walking shoes.

Might cost a bit more than the 125 but it will be money well spent.

And will definitely get you places far quicker than a Honda.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 08:38:40 pm »
It will be catastrophic on a high power 125 .............................. best you buy some good walking shoes.

Might cost a bit more than the 125 but it will be money well spent.

And will definitely get you places far quicker than a Honda.

:imaposer:

Offline Erlin

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • if you can't get there on gravel, why bother!!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 08:42:23 am »

Indeed i have watched this youtube a few times over and it convinced me, however someone put a slight dent in my confidence when he said that the guy in that youtube test did not put the chains through the vigorous test of riding at high speed and he argues that the chain gets so hot that gear oil might not be able to take the temperatures of a racing bike at high speeds.

Makes sense, but i'm going to take my chances with gear oil, seeming that people on here get 25k plus on their drivetrains with it ! I added 30w40 on mine.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:What racing and high spped can you do on a Xr200 :peepwall: :pot: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 12:44:41 pm »
It has been discussed often, that on the small capacity 4strokes, a high viscosity oil on the chain causes chain to sprocket stiction, and the resultant clutch slipping on pullling away

could be bad for the plates, gears and clutch cable.

I hate to admit it Dan but you're right, that old story again..... almost forgot about that, don't have a 125 for eons anymore now.
Wheelying also was a problem, but then again maybe I was, after all I'm old enough now these days.
But, if so the he can perhaps make coasters out of his old clutchplates, always looks nice on a bar and often starts lekker conversations!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 01:08:20 pm »
I seem to recall Belray did not fare to well in that F9 comparison..... my same opinion and experience btw...

I have done comparative tests for myself over the years and found regular lube (every 500km) and the occasional lube (only when I wash/.clean the bike around every 1700km equating to once a month on the daily commute) yielded very similar results in chain life....
Long live the Underdog.........