Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Chain Oil ?  (Read 672 times)

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
Re: Chain Oil ?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:26 am »
WD40..... Wipe chain clean with a cloth, and spray WD40. This cleans and lubricates.
Iv'e used this on the Transalp and get between 25k and 32k on a chain.

my 2c. :thumleft:
wow !
:thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 11:06:50 am »
I do not like shiny and dry rollers and sprocket teeth. Always used to have some oil spray with me on long trips.
Not sure it made a difference in chain and sprocket longevity but it made me feel better  :ricky:

Many moons ago before O and X ring chains entered my life I had this chain ritual every month.
I had a big coffee tin (tins were stronger back then) filled up 3/4 with thick gear oil. Into this tin my chain will go and then
this lot went into the oven and heated up. When hot removed and left to cool overnight.
The theory was any air and moisture will expand when hot and as this lot cools the oil will be sucked into the pins and rollers.
Did it work ? Dont know but it made me feel better and my bikes loved the attention :imaposer:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »
I do not like shiny and dry rollers and sprocket teeth. Always used to have some oil spray with me on long trips.
Not sure it made a difference in chain and sprocket longevity but it made me feel better  :ricky:

Many moons ago before O and X ring chains entered my life I had this chain ritual every month.
I had a big coffee tin (tins were stronger back then) filled up 3/4 with thick gear oil. Into this tin my chain will go and then
this lot went into the oven and heated up. When hot removed and left to cool overnight.
The theory was any air and moisture will expand when hot and as this lot cools the oil will be sucked into the pins and rollers.
Did it work ? Dont know but it made me feel better and my bikes loved the attention :imaposer:

You must surely reme ber the old Duckhams "koekblikke" filled with grease, which you just lay the chain on top of the grease, warm it all on a stoveplate, and the chain sinks into the grease.

Just always had to remember to tie a piece of wire to the chain to pull it out while hot, so excess grease can run off.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 06:34:43 pm »

You must surely reme ber the old Duckhams "koekblikke" filled with grease, which you just lay the chain on top of the grease, warm it all on a stoveplate, and the chain sinks into the grease.

Just always had to remember to tie a piece of wire to the chain to pull it out while hot, so excess grease can run off.

I added a tin of Wynns engine treatment to the Duckhams grease, because of it's advertised wear reduction properties. Can't remember figures, but I got decent mileage out of my chains
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun