Chain Oil ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzer

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR200
My question is, (might be a silly one) but be gentle please... i'm still learning.. #-o

Does the absolute middle of the chain have to have some of the lubricant on or does it need to be completely dry ?

After some research i found many people using 30w/40 gear oil on the chain, will it be ok on the 125 ?
I am very well aware that there might be people that think this is really stupid,

But i have done so and it seems to be much better than the glue that was on there previously.

After i lubed up my chain with the gear oil, i wiped off the sides and drove 10km. Man what a difference compared to the glue that was on there before ! (getting that glue off was torture that cannot be described, but got most of it off) And the new gear oil seemed to have loosened up more of that gunk that was left after the clean)

So the chain is now as clean as it ever was during its life.

Just i'm not 100% sure does those rings (the silver rings in the middle have to have some lube on or be completely dry ?) (those are the rollers yes ?)

Thinking about it, it would be nice for them to have some lube on, but that could attract dirt but if its just a little layer it would actually be good or not ?

Or total metal on metal if i dry them completely ? This just doesn't feel right, but it might be ?