Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: IDEAS TO PREVENT BIKE THEFT  (Read 523 times)

Offline NEON DEON

IDEAS TO PREVENT BIKE THEFT
« on: July 17, 2020, 10:50:07 am »
Lots of FB posts on bikes being stolen , We were in Dullstroom some time ago and were warned abouit adventure bikes being stolen ,we ended up parking our bikes in our rooms . My bike is locked in my garage and the key is with me at all times . I am aware that this is not a fail safe option and that it can still be stolen . On out last December holiday I chained both bikes together , and then parked them in with my Jeep . again not 100% secure .
I am toying with the idea to have a long cable made up to lock my bikes up with , another option I have thought of is to use a crook lock , if they still available and to use this to lock the handle bar to the crash bar , add the cable , my view is that if i lock the bikes together it is just more of a headache for them to move , and will go try to find easier pickings

The idea of this post isd to possibly share ideas in hoe to best secure our pride and joy from those that only see it for the money it could bring them .

And my final thought , I wanted to have a extra spare key made fot my KTM , i have the keys , as well as the orange master key , blank key is around 2700 rand , then its still has to be programmed . What gets me is that bikes are stolen that require chip keys , and yet these guys can get it done somehow ,that it makes it worth stealing the bikes. I dont believe that they are taken across the border to be srtipped for spares , and if the case to whom do they sell the used spares , cant exactly say I have a 20 something BMW GS stripping for parts , contact so and so in MOZAMBIQUE .
Maybe , just maybe ther is a busines opertunety to start a recovery compony specializing in stolen bikes . Track thenm down , recover and break the thieves fingers  >:D

Offline NEON DEON

Re: IDEAS TO PREVENT BIKE THEFT
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:52:17 am »
Lots of FB posts on bikes being stolen , We were in Dullstroom some time ago and were warned abouit adventure bikes being stolen ,we ended up parking our bikes in our rooms . My bike is locked in my garage and the key is with me at all times . I am aware that this is not a fail safe option and that it can still be stolen . On out last December holiday I chained both bikes together , and then parked them in with my Jeep . again not 100% secure .
I am toying with the idea to have a long cable made up to lock my bikes up with , another option I have thought of is to use a crook lock , if they still available and to use this to lock the handle bar to the crash bar , add the cable , my view is that if i lock the bikes together it is just more of a headache for them to move , and will go try to find easier pickings .
Saw a add for a locable bike garage , 15k for the base model, looks nice and secure , but could take up lots of space in a garage , nice to park in a gated carport . but on the expensive side .

The idea of this post isd to possibly share ideas in hoe to best secure our pride and joy from those that only see it for the money it could bring them .

And my final thought , I wanted to have a extra spare key made fot my KTM , i have the keys , as well as the orange master key , blank key is around 2700 rand , then its still has to be programmed . What gets me is that bikes are stolen that require chip keys , and yet these guys can get it done somehow ,that it makes it worth stealing the bikes. I dont believe that they are taken across the border to be srtipped for spares , and if the case to whom do they sell the used spares , cant exactly say I have a 20 something BMW GS stripping for parts , contact so and so in MOZAMBIQUE .
Maybe , just maybe ther is a busines opertunety to start a recovery compony specializing in stolen bikes . Track thenm down , recover and break the thieves fingers  >:D

Offline sackett

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:43:05 pm »
I sometimes work (or fanny about) quite late into the night in my garage with the door open.  The garage beams and eyes are then obviously switched off exposing me to an attack from the street. A quick economical/easiest solution I came up with was buying one of those shop door chime thingies and now have three for various areas, all surplus to the normal beams, eyes, etc - pretty effective in giving an early warning and the sound will let the bad oke know that you know and maybe startle him/her.  They are relatively cheap, small thus easy to conceal, portable and batteries last quite well.  Placed strategically near the bike they may be useful in getting the bad okes to run away due to the noise and hopefully activate the house alarm.
Not much - but helped with my ease of mind when working late with an open garage door.
Previously owned: Yamaha XT250, Honda XL500R, Yamaha XT600 Tenere, then moved over to the Dark Side with a great classic: Honda CB750F - all sold unfortunately.  Currently have a '14 Triumph 800XC and restoring a 2010 Tenere 660Z.

The following users thanked this post: husky

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 12:54:41 pm »
According to Fortnine, having tested a few, the Kryptonite Keeper 785 is the most difficult to get around, but not fool proof.
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge, WR450F, GS 1200 Rallye

Offline Gee S

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:30:59 pm »
My bikes are parked in my braai area that is build onto the house and closed of with 10mm round bar burglar proofing. I have a PIR linked to and alrm system and armed response(not that they will be much use) as well as CCTV cameras covering the area. The bikes are locked to the burglar bars with a 8/10mm steel cable.
I also have 2 large dogs outside and two small ones inside the house that will hopefully wake me up before anyone can get to the bikes.
Keys are always locked away.
All that wander are not lost

Offline Sabre

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 10:05:41 pm »
Those of you that have beams, you better secure them properly
Last year my alarm went off, I got up, went to the keypad, and saw that it was the beam at the front of the house, covering the garage. That beam was a bit problematic, so I told the security company no need to come out, I will just re-set.

But the system did not want to re-set. I called the security guys, and asked them to come out. When we went to the beam, I only found the wires dangling from the wall, the beam was gone !!

Had a new one installed the next day at a cost of about R5k. The company told me that the new type beams that can cover 180 degrees have a very high street value. The have developed a bracket that fits around the beam, fastened with much sturdier bolts. The standard fitment is 2x short bolts that get ripped out the wall with 2 big screw drivers.
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 04:39:47 pm »
Buy a Yamaha 900 Niken.

I just cannot see how the thieves will want that.

The following users thanked this post: Elmer Fudd

Offline Elmer Fudd

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 08:38:35 pm »
I have had so much stuff stolen from  me (non bike) in the past I really just try and make it as difficult as possible for the bastards.

Had My D4D Hilux taken out of my complex due to a shoddy gate motor cover, they just lifted the thing up and opened the gate.
Anyway my dirtbike, I have bike anchor drilled into the garage floor , I secure a hefty chain on that which goes around my dirtbike frame. I also have 2 locks on the brake discs front and rear so you have to carry it. Not impossible, just more difficult.

With my 790 now I have the bike anchor into the floor, chained. I also got these alarm locks, once set, if your disturb them they beep a few times, the slightest movement after that they go ballistic. They are super sensitive. I wonder if they can be fitted to the garage doors? I reckon wind would set them off.
Speak to Chris on here (flying brick) Got all these things from them.
Also have a bog std beam-e tracker for less than the cost of 3 double brandy's a month. Its all about recovery, not monitoring where you are or have been in the past.

I am actually quite impressed with those alarm disc locks, super sensitive and loud enough to perhaps stop the theft.
Key, nowhere even close to my bike, that would be just stupid.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:52:12 pm by Elmer Fudd »
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"
Robert Frost,1874~1963

Offline Gee S

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 05:58:47 pm »
When going on trips I take one of those cable locks with a buit in alarm along. The cable is only a few mm thick but the alarm that is activated when the cable is cut is quite loud and should wake me up before they can get away with the bike
All that wander are not lost