Technology vs Reliability?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adventure MX

The reason for this question is that I was working with a couple of bikes the other day and everything seems to fit into place very well.  Parts are easily accessible and the whole mechanical setup of the bike just seems to work very well.  Bare in mind when I am talking about bikes then we can include MX bikes and Dual Sport into the same category.

This got me thinking.......

We all know that technology will progress and life moves on, but how critical is it to improve on something that has been working for years, and in our current environment changes seem to be more about aesthetics and power rather then reliability.  Does our lifestyle at the moment demand that we do things faster so that we are able to do more or so that we can complete it in a quicker time so that we can get back to business.

Here is what I am talking about.  Below I have listed a couple of examples on both sides of the scale that I feel will illustrate my point, but I am sure there will be better examples out there.

KDX 200.
This bike has been around for years.  The technology is basic yet very reliable.  The carb can easily be removed without having to dismantle the airbox or the subframe.  Spark Plug can be removed without having to remove the tank etc, etc.
So if you are caught in a situation where emergency repairs need to be done there is little standing in your way when you need to do specific checks.

Honda XR's
These bikes basically have the same traits as the one above.  Some of them are air cooled and other later models are liquid cooled.  The XR 400 right up to the XR 650 are very reliable machines and have been used for many years in all kinds of races.

KLR 650
This bike has also been around for a while.  It is easy to dismantle to get to the part you want to repair or check.  It has one or two issues but as soon as you have worked around them then you have a die hard machine.  It has a slightly outdated appearance but it is an icon.

KTM 640
This bike also has legend status and is not a bad bike to work on.  The mechanics of the motor are pretty easy.  As with some other models you need to remove the tank to get to the carb and spark plugs.  Valve clearance settings are easy to adjust due to the rocker system.  As soon as you have shims life becomes a bit more complicated.  Later generation models are now moving to fuel injection which require electronic management systems and all these high tech options give the regular guy one less thing to be in control of when you are on a tour.

BMW 1200GSA
Bmw's have been synonymous with the latest technology in fuel injection, ABS brakes, Electronic management systems, drive trains and so forth.  Although these bikes and similar models have proven to be reliable is it really necessary to make advances on this technology.  Whats the reason?  Does it give the manufacturer the opportunity to boast about the fact they they have the latest and greatest or are they really looking for better ways to keep up with the times.  Or is this a process whereby the manufacturers have more control over there customers as they are the only ones can basically service these types of bikes?

My question is more about reliability.  This doesn't just mean the machine itself but the rider as well.  It is all good and well producing a motorcycle that is "technological advanced" but to what sacrifice when you want the rider to have the ability to be able to save himself out of an emergency.  Lets be honest, if you you have electronic failure on a 1200GSA you are not going to know where to start (ja ja, probably pick up the SAT phone).  Where as if you have a basic bike with carbs, a wiring harness with one or two fuses you cab use the process of elimination to deduct where the problem is.

Most riders are not on a level to do emergency repairs and purely for this reason this would put some resistance on a purchase for the latest and greatest.  Unless you are prepared to spend a good couple of man hours getting to know your bike in such a way that you could almost tell the local mechanic a thing or two.  I can well understand that to buy the newest technology has it's advantages and as long as it doesn't let you down.

Like to hear your thoughts on this....