Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DRZ Thread  (Read 73284 times)

Offline Woestersous

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 1150 GS "Helga" CR250R "Piglet"
Re: The DRZ Thread
« Reply #1580 on: May 11, 2011, 02:59:08 pm »
Still dig these bikes, perhaps replace the XR and CR with one as I've just bought a 1150gs for long distance commute and pillion......mmmmmm. Saw on at bike workshop today, guy fiddled with carb and broke some pin, oke paid R40 000, bike has 152km on!!! Pvt deal with dude who just had to have a bike when all his buddies sold their quads to buy 2 wheels......

Offline S - 4 - B

• Fulltime MotardNut
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • I can't say no to Italian Hussies....
« Reply #1581 on: May 11, 2011, 03:19:38 pm »
There are some very nice ones going at very good prices  :thumleft:

I was a sceptic...now I am an addict >:D
Don't blame me for the name ....I was bullied into into it by J-Dog.....
"Change your name or ride a KTM"  he said , I changed my name !!!!

Hooligan Tools - Triumph Street Triple                                                                           Beta Evo 250 Trials

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #1582 on: May 11, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »
Some of you guys have obviously bought stuff from Thumpertalk.

See the cheapest option for international shipping is about $50. US mail service or something. Is this option reliable?

What addresses did you guys use, post office, post box or street address?

I assume that you pay VAT at the post office? How about import tax ect?

Cant wait for my DRZ...!  :drif: End of the month should have my ching together then will start shopping for one.

Everything should be fine, your biggest risk is when the stuff actually reaches SA, with our nationalisation of things being a favorite hobby etc...

But you should be fine.

I have imported plenty things, and have had no bad experiences yet.

You end up getting your stuff in 3-4 weeks avg.

I use my work PO Box, works fine.
Maak soos Dr Phil sÍ: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #1583 on: May 11, 2011, 06:16:25 pm »

See the cheapest option for international shipping is about $50. US mail service or something. Is this option reliable?

Cant wait for my DRZ...!  :drif: End of the month should have my ching together then will start shopping for one.

Everything should be fine, your biggest risk is when the stuff actually reaches SA, with our nationalisation of things being a favorite hobby etc...

But you should be fine.

I have imported plenty things, and have had no bad experiences yet.

You end up getting your stuff in 3-4 weeks avg.

I use my work PO Box, works fine.
Motor cycle engine parts should no get hit with any thing other than VAT though.

on a side note, some toys I have waiting :D
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #1584 on: May 12, 2011, 10:23:55 am »

Cant wait for my DRZ...!  :drif: End of the month should have my ching together then will start shopping for one.

USPS is reliable.
Use PO box or postal street address. You will have to go and collect anyway. You can get customs clearance done "remotely" and get the parcel forwarded to your local post office. Sometimes it just clears by itself and lands at teh local PO. If you have to clear and get it forwarded it's usually much faster to go to the international parcel customs office, clear and collect all in one go. 1 hr vs. two weeks ::)

It's usually VAT and a smallish customs handling fee. Make VERY sure the parts are VERY CLEARLY declared as MOTORCYCLE SPARES by the sender. Nothing else. ESPECIALLY NOT anything containing the term "MOTORSOPORT" Don't ask...

Depending on the value of the shipment and the mood of the day of the customs official they might require you to employ a clearing agent ::) which will add considerably to the clearing fees. The good part is that the clearing agent usually does all paperwork for you, invoices you, collects your money, pays all fees, collects the shipment and delivers it to your door.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:27:59 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #1585 on: May 12, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »
I have seen those , but the Full Throttle price was enough to make me choke.

Do you know of a "more realistic"retailler

That is the price for zeta levers. Like R1000/each. HOWEVER I saw some DRZ levers on ebay world, lots of options:

http://global.ebay.com/search/?Query=drz+400+lever&Region=0&UsePriceFilter=0&PageNumber=1&ListView=0&SortBy=1

Not as sexy, but only R20 for the welding  ;D

There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline S - 4 - B

• Fulltime MotardNut
  • Race Dog
« Reply #1586 on: May 12, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »
Dude , for R20 that is drop-dead sexy  :mwink:

Well done, you even have change for a Jack

Hooligan Tools - Triumph Street Triple                                                                           Beta Evo 250 Trials

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #1587 on: May 12, 2011, 09:28:04 pm »
USPS is reliable.
Use PO box or postal street address. You will have to go and collect anyway. You can get customs clearance done "remotely" and get the parcel forwarded to your local post office. Sometimes it just clears by itself and lands at teh local PO. If you have to clear and get it forwarded it's usually much faster to go to the international parcel customs office, clear and collect all in one go. 1 hr vs. two weeks ::)

It's usually VAT and a smallish customs handling fee. Make VERY sure the parts are VERY CLEARLY declared as MOTORCYCLE SPARES by the sender. Nothing else. ESPECIALLY NOT anything containing the term "MOTORSOPORT" Don't ask...

Depending on the value of the shipment and the mood of the day of the customs official they might require you to employ a clearing agent ::) which will add considerably to the clearing fees. The good part is that the clearing agent usually does all paperwork for you, invoices you, collects your money, pays all fees, collects the shipment and delivers it to your door.

Thanks Lecap, some good info!  :thumleft:

Offline rowanseymour

« Reply #1588 on: May 15, 2011, 11:16:23 am »
Hi guys! My friend and I are trying to get ourselves into this DRZ club. We live in Rwanda and are planning to fly to Jo'burg this summer, buy some DRZ SMs, get them suitably upgraded and ride them back to Rwanda. I think we'll try to get Clarke 3.9 tanks,  Immix luggage racks, and some slightly knobbier tyres.

Having read pretty much every post on this thread it seems the DRZs are capable of anything with the right mods. But it does seem its a bit tricky to find parts in SA? We have a contact in Jo,burg who can help us with buying the bikes and putting things together, but I was wondering if there are any dealers people know of there that could help with getting things like the fuel tanks shipped from the US. It's obviously not possible for us to deal with clearing agents etc from Rwanda.

Thanks!

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1589 on: May 15, 2011, 11:35:37 am »
www.justgastanks.com
www.thumpertalk.com (kak website, massive stock)
however, also get hold of www.renz.co.za, they're local and have most stuff already landed in RSA, which saves major hassle and prices are decent
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline rowanseymour

« Reply #1590 on: May 15, 2011, 11:47:50 am »
Thanks for the RenZ link :thumleft: seems they at least might be able to get the Clarke fuel thanks for us http://renz.co.za/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99_80&products_id=184 which would make things a lot simpler for us. We could order stuff from ThumperTalk etc but I'm concerned that if anything gets stuck at customs etc it will be difficult to sort it out from Rwanda

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #1591 on: May 15, 2011, 11:53:22 am »
Thanks for the RenZ link :thumleft: seems they at least might be able to get the Clarke fuel thanks for us http://renz.co.za/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99_80&products_id=184 which would make things a lot simpler for us. We could order stuff from ThumperTalk etc but I'm concerned that if anything gets stuck at customs etc it will be difficult to sort it out from Rwanda
Also for knoblies you can get a MT63 rear from renz (130/80 17 if I recall right) The front tire you will need a 120 rear (though a 130 might works) I used a Hedi k74 120/90 17

Offline rowanseymour

« Reply #1592 on: May 15, 2011, 12:04:06 pm »
That looks so badass but I think we need something slightly less knobby - we got 5000km of mostly tarmac to cover and apart from some weekend trips on Rwandan dirt roads these are going to be commuter bikes. Was thinking the Siracs might be the best balance of road/dirt for us. Anyone got any opinions on them?

Especially since RenZ are selling them for the very reasonable price of R0.00 ;) http://renz.co.za/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=211
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:05:23 pm by rowanseymour »

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1593 on: May 15, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »
Hahaha yeah, e-mail renz for prices. I think you'll find a "ds" tire is really a road tire. I ride with quite aggressive tires. A TKC80 works AMAZINGLY offroad and onroad and last some decent mileage. A decent backtire which does both mileage and offroad grip are the Heidenau T63 (or whatever number it is). The Heidi's would actually be good both upfront and on the back. I'd go a bit more aggressive than the Sirac.

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #1594 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:02 am »
I've been using a Mefo Explorer 130-18 which I got from TopBox on the forum. Tread pattern is virtually identical to that of the Mitas E-07.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1595 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:08 am »
Valve clearances: How often should I be checking these?
What happens if I let them get out of spec?
I haven't checked mine in a little while and my bike doesn't like to start in the mornings. Related?

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #1596 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:06 am »
I haven't checked mine in a little while and my bike doesn't like to start in the mornings. Related?
Could be, just make a habit of checking them. If I dont suspect they might have changed to much I check it every 2nd oil change so like every 6000km

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #1597 on: May 16, 2011, 12:43:58 pm »

Not much happens if your valve clearances are larger than spec. Eventually your engine will run mechanically noisy and later you will get pitting and wear of cam lobes.

More dangerous is too little valve clearance: Poor starting is a good (=bad) sign for a hammered intake valve or two or simply no valve clearance on the intake side. Often no other symptoms bike runs fine once it runs.
The problem returns quickly (after as little as 1000km) if it's caused by hammered valves and if corrected by adjusting valve clearances.
If the engine picks up idling speed significantly as it warms up you most likely have torched an exhaust valve - caused by too little valve clearance or running lean.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #1598 on: May 17, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »
When it battles to start first time (when cold), every 10 000km.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline S - 4 - B

• Fulltime MotardNut
  • Race Dog
« Reply #1599 on: May 17, 2011, 04:49:54 pm »
Anybody...please...talk some sense into me :imaposer:

Many may have seen what I ended up doing to my Dakar...YZ front suspension , MP custom rear......Trial Tech HID lights...binned the stock dash etc etc....

Why mention it ???

Well , I recently got my grubby little paws onto a E model DRZ....and ever since then all I think of is DRZ...riding the Dakar for daily commuting has become a punishment....

NOW I AM CONSIDERING LETTING THE DAKAR GO AND GETTING A DRZ MOTARD >:D

Am I being stupid...one way commute is 55km's, ie 110 per day....I am happy to keep to under 120km/h as well !!!

Help me , tell me I am crazy....convince me I am stupid...

:drif: :drif: DRZ Motard  :thumleft:  :drif: :drif:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:51:27 pm by S - 4 - B »